PDA

View Full Version : Gary Hilton

Ron Haven
02-06-2008, 11:01
Has anyone ever run into him while hiking on the trail and where :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 11:27
Ever since the pics of him were published, I've had a nagging feeling that he was the really strange guy we ran into at Hightower Gap in early March of 2004.. This isn't far from where his first van was abandoned.

Gray Blazer
02-06-2008, 11:36
Never, thank God!!

neighbor dave
02-06-2008, 11:42
not sure. i usually don't study people too much. i can say in "05" just short of n.o.c. near the tower there was a guy heading south that i got a really creepy feeling from. the kind of feeling like ,mmm. ... i wonder if we'll see him again, the kind of guy that'd come up behind you and clunk you over the head. we hiked down to n.o.c. that day from wayah bald in a snowstorm

Blissful
02-06-2008, 11:53
I don't know if we ever did, but the mere idea a serial killer was roaming around last year while we were on the trail and in the area where a body had been found freaks me out completely. I am SO glad for the 2008 hikers that this guy was caught. Praise God.

rcli4
02-06-2008, 12:03
My son in law and I were staying at the old gooch gap shelter. He went down and hitched a ride to town and he thinks it was hilton that was parked at the road. He gave him a ride to Suches and back. When he got back he said some wierdo gave him a ride. If it was him I wished he had tried something with my son in law. There would be a lot of people still alive.

Clyde

Wonder
02-06-2008, 12:03
I don't think that I have.....thank god! I hiked Blood a few times this year!

stumpy
02-06-2008, 12:04
I am pretty certain that Quickrelease and I saw him back in October at Rock Gap Shelter. We passed a man (with no pack, said he was just out for a walk) just before the shelter. I think was him. He asked us a few common questions and told us that he had been staying at the shelter for a couple of days. He asked if we were going to stay the night, and at the time we told he that we had planned to. After we got up to the shelter, it looked like the guy was living there. We decided to walk on down the trail and camp somewhere else. I do not remember what the guy looked like, just that he was an older (older than us 33 and 40) and kinda thin. I did not really put two and two together until this week when a news report said that he was living at Rock Gap shelter for a time on October. I can not be sure it was him, but it gives me the willys anyway.:eek:

Newb
02-06-2008, 12:09
If it was him I wished he had tried something with my son in law. There would be a lot of people still alive.

Clyde

As you can see Hilton was an opportunist that preyed upon women and the elderly. I doubt he would have tried something with a fit full grown man.

rafe
02-06-2008, 12:12
I don't know if we ever did, but the mere idea a serial killer was roaming around last year while we were on the trail and in the area where a body had been found freaks me out completely. I am SO glad for the 2008 hikers that this guy was caught. Praise God.

Your g*d created this guy and allowed him to murder. All in a day's work for g*d I suppose. :rolleyes:

winger
02-06-2008, 12:12
More 'disturbing' would be if all the accounts above are regarding completely different creeps (other than Hilton). It's less concerning on a personal level as I 'carry' the necessary deterrent.

gold bond
02-06-2008, 12:24
I am pretty certain that Quickrelease and I saw him back in October at Rock Gap Shelter. We passed a man (with no pack, said he was just out for a walk) just before the shelter. I think was him. He asked us a few common questions and told us that he had been staying at the shelter for a couple of days. He asked if we were going to stay the night, and at the time we told he that we had planned to. After we got up to the shelter, it looked like the guy was living there. We decided to walk on down the trail and camp somewhere else. I do not remember what the guy looked like, just that he was an older (older than us 33 and 40) and kinda thin. I did not really put two and two together until this week when a news report said that he was living at Rock Gap shelter for a time on October. I can not be sure it was him, but it gives me the willys anyway.:eek:

Twack and I ran into the same guy...2nd-3rd week in October. We hiked from Deep Gap tp the NOC. He called himself Doug and said he had left his wife and gave her everything and moved into the shelter for the winter. He had a whit pickup truck parked down by the road. We actually stayed in the shelter with him that night..he had a red tent set up in the shelter and a note in there explaing to people that he was staying there and to take what the needed but to be polite in their taking. I do not think this was Hilton.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2008, 12:31
Your g*d created this guy and allowed him to murder. All in a day's work for g*d I suppose. :rolleyes:
Bonehead statement.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 12:32
Bonehead statement.

he doesn't believe in god but is afraid to spell god. what is this g*d?

rafe
02-06-2008, 12:34
he doesn't believe in god but is afraid to spell god. what is this g*d?

a figment of the imagination.

the spelling thing is my small concession to an ancient tradition...

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 12:36

of what?

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 12:37
Goddamit.

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 12:38
To the idiocy of not speaking or writing God's name in full, like Jehovah. Etc. (Life of Brian, remember?)

Freeleo
02-06-2008, 12:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZxoByuASK4

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 12:40
john lennon sucks

jesse
02-06-2008, 12:40
Your g*d created this guy and allowed him to murder. All in a day's work for g*d I suppose.

never mind

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 12:45
Doubly so for Yoko Lennon.

Gray Blazer
02-06-2008, 12:47
To the idiocy of not speaking or writing God's name in full, like Jehovah. Etc. (Life of Brian, remember?)

BRIAN!!! I never laughed so hard in my life. My wife thought I was gonna die!!

earlyriser26
02-06-2008, 12:49
Wow, a sad statement. I guess this makes you feel better.

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 12:53

God is a scorekeeper, not a referee. When he intervenes, it's called a miracle.

stumpy
02-06-2008, 12:53
Twack and I ran into the same guy...2nd-3rd week in October. We hiked from Deep Gap tp the NOC. He called himself Doug and said he had left his wife and gave her everything and moved into the shelter for the winter. He had a whit pickup truck parked down by the road. We actually stayed in the shelter with him that night..he had a red tent set up in the shelter and a note in there explaing to people that he was staying there and to take what the needed but to be polite in their taking. I do not think this was Hilton.

That was the same week. I am sure that you are right.:banana

I'm not really sure why that makes me want to put a bannana? I guess I'm just happy that I didn't cross paths with that psycho!

Freeleo
02-06-2008, 12:57
john lennon sucks

jsut for you.......hate the messanger love the message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOkxRLzBf0

cannonball
02-06-2008, 12:59

Note to self: DO NOT stand near Terrapin during a lightning storm.

TOW
02-06-2008, 13:02
Has anyone ever run into him while hiking on the trail and where :eek:Ron, I have no doubt that Gary Hilton was here last year for Trail Days and that he used my phone.

bloodmountainman
02-06-2008, 13:05
That was uncalled for!! And quite stupid also!:mad:

gold bond
02-06-2008, 13:17
john lennon sucks

You mean....Jo*h Le**on Sucks!!

Alligator
02-06-2008, 13:19
Er*c Cl*pt*n:sun.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 13:22
::: D*no p**ks ov*r tr*f*c*ls *t r*wdy cr*wd :::

gold bond
02-06-2008, 13:22
Note to self: DO NOT stand near Terrapin during a lightning storm.

Don't know if I'm laughing so hard at that statement or terrapin!

Alligator
02-06-2008, 13:23
Don't wake *dm*n.

Freeleo
02-06-2008, 13:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JtxrR6msg

DesertMTB
02-06-2008, 13:37

Wow. Nice insult to a good percentage of believers on this board.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 13:38
he claims to be jewish too. :-?

Stoker53
02-06-2008, 13:40
::: D*no p**ks ov*r tr*f*c*ls *t r*wdy cr*wd :::

God how I do live the "womens" with a sense of humor!!!!

Good one...:D

rafe
02-06-2008, 13:47
Wow. Nice insult to a good percentage of believers on this board.

Non-believers are insulted day in, day out. Every time a politician (of any stripe or level) says, "g*d bless America." Or by the currency we carry, that says, "in g*d we trust." Can you imagine an avowed non-believer running for governor, congress or president? It'll never happen.

Smile
02-06-2008, 13:49
Isn't this a thread about seeing GH somewhere? :)

Gray Blazer
02-06-2008, 13:49
At least God believes in you.

Gray Blazer
02-06-2008, 13:51
Sorry about the hijack. This is an interesting thread. I have met at least one person on the AT that I hiked away from as fast as I could and kept looking behind my back.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2008, 13:52
That's a pretty interesting account. Gotta wonder about those people that shack up in the shelters.

rafe
02-06-2008, 13:55
he claims to be jewish too. :-?

far more blood than belief. the connection is cultural and genetic, not religious. "jewish atheist" is not an oxymoron.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 13:56
jews ain't a race

Mother Nature
02-06-2008, 14:01
I had a friend traveling alone in NC using trailheads and nearby campsites near the AT (in the fall of 05 I believe she said.) I remember when she arrived at my house she was upset. She had stopped at a minimart and some older man was stalking her while she was inside and hung around near her SUV.

She lives in California now and hasn't had the press coverage that we have locally about Hilton. When she saw a picture of Hilton she sent me an email telling me she was 99% sure it was the man that was stalking her. She went back and looked at the description noted in her journal from that time.

Glad this guy is off the streets.

gold bond
02-06-2008, 14:09
Non-believers are insulted day in, day out. Every time a politician (of any stripe or level) says, "g*d bless America." Or by the currency we carry, that says, "in g*d we trust." Can you imagine an avowed non-believer running for governor, congress or president? It'll never happen.

I truley hope this comes out right sooo here goes.. Terrapin, I whole heartadly agree and respect your right to believe or not to believe in anything you want. That being said that makes you the minority. So when you make a lavish statement don't get offended when the offended speak up or don't vote for you when you run for office or invite you to the office Christmas party. I'm not trying to imply that you do get offended. Either way, everyone has to believe in somthing. The trail that we all love so much just didn't happen to pop up out of no where! God did creat Hilton. God did not make Hilton do what he did. God never promised us that life was going to be a cakewalk...but when it's not we believers can turn to him in prayer. We do not pray for instant gratification but we pray for wisdom...wisdom to find the answers we seek. I will pray for you, just as I will pray for all his victims and their families.

rafe
02-06-2008, 14:13
No problem, gold bond. As If I didn't know I was in the minority. ;)

That said, I believe there are a lot of non-believers in the closet, so to speak. There's a huge societal pressure to "conform" in this regard, and some serious penalties (often subtle, but still very real) for those who express their non-belief publicly. Like I said, no politician in the USA would ever do so.

Ron Haven
02-06-2008, 14:16
Sorry about the hijack. This is an interesting thread. I have met at least one person on the AT that I hiked away from as fast as I could and kept looking behind my back.I see several thousand hikers every year.I never was to good at remembering names but faces I seldom ever forget.

I can't recall ever seeing him that I can add a place to the face.But they is something I can't bring out of my sub conscious mind because he looks so so familier.:-?

weary
02-06-2008, 14:32
The idiocy continues in the riots and deaths a couple of years ago over a Danish cartoon depicting Islam's imagined prophet/Deity.

Weary

Darwin again
02-06-2008, 14:32

That said, I believe there are a lot of non-believers in the closet, so to speak. There's a huge societal pressure to "conform" in this regard, and some serious penalties (often subtle, but still very real) for those who express their non-belief publicly. Like I said, no politician in the USA would ever do so.

Pay them no mind, terp.
Group psychosis is powerful.

Just keep in mind all the "foolish" atheists (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU) who've helped establish the cornerstones of our civilization and keep smiling! ;)
YouTube link above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU
Peace.

jesse
02-06-2008, 14:45
There's a huge societal pressure to "conform" in this regard, and some serious penalties (often subtle, but still very real) for those who express their non-belief publicly. Like I said, no politician in the USA would ever do so.

I can respect an atheist who is willing to give a rational explanation of his/her beliefs, but you weren't just expressing your belief. You were being an a$$ about it.

rafe
02-06-2008, 14:46
I can respect an atheist who is willing to give a rational explanation of his/her beliefs, but you weren't just expressing your belief. You were being an a$$ about it.

in your humble opinion, of course.

Gray Blazer
02-06-2008, 14:53
I see several thousand hikers every year.I never was to good at remembering names but faces I seldom ever forget.

I can't recall ever seeing him that I can add a place to the face.But they is something I can't bring out of my sub conscious mind because he looks so so familier.:-?
Try not to worry about it. It will prolly come to you (in the middle of the night no doubt).

Blissful
02-06-2008, 15:00

Man... I was writing down - "can we not go there please"...but then I saw all the posts afterwards.... Oh well.

All I can say is - I'll keep on serving and believing in my "God" and you serve and believe in "you as god" and we'll see what happens in the grave.

(and now this thread will likely get moved to the sensitive forum. All because someone happened to say - "Praise God" that a killer was caught and some were "offended". All in a day for WB. Sigh.)

rafe
02-06-2008, 15:05
Man... I was writing down - "can we not go there please"...but then I saw all the posts afterwards.... Oh well.

Umm, Blissful, you're the one who introduced g*d into the thread.

Marta
02-06-2008, 15:08

Ditto.

I also have a dim memory of walking past Rock Gap Shelter and being glad I wasn't planning to stay there because there was a bunch of crap already there. No person there that day, though, thank goodness.

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 15:09
Isn't this a thread about seeing GH somewhere? :)
Apparently not. It's people in love with their opinions. Yawn.

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 15:33
He looks familiar to me too, but I think it is because I have seen men before with a similar look to them-- it's not a pleasant look.

gold bond
02-06-2008, 16:19
Ditto.

I also have a dim memory of walking past Rock Gap Shelter and being glad I wasn't planning to stay there because there was a bunch of crap already there. No person there that day, though, thank goodness.

Marta, I stayed there at rock gap shelter with that guy! His name is Doug. He kept a truck parked down by the road and yes he was/is living there. He has a red tent set up in the shelter...is that the same one you seen? I stayed there a night in October with him. He fixed twack and me some supper. Wild mushrooms and onions with rice and chicken....I did not eat any of it. I figured if he was crazy he might put something in the food. Twack ate some and we all talked and went on to sleep. Got up the next morning and left.
I went back at thanksgiving and dropped him off some food...he had a basset hound with him then.

Marta
02-06-2008, 16:22
Marta, I stayed there at rock gap shelter with that guy! His name is Doug. He kept a truck parked down by the road and yes he was/is living there. He has a red tent set up in the shelter...is that the same one you seen?

Probably. I didn't see anyone around, and I didn't linger.

bloodmountainman
02-06-2008, 16:23
Thank God it will never happen!!!!!:sun

GGS2
02-06-2008, 16:24
john lennon sucks

Sucks what? Lemons? Only when it's really hot, or he's drinking Dos Exxis.

Now don't be taking his name in vain. By the way, which of his many iconclasms do you object to? Probably the we're more popular than Jesus quip.

Jan LiteShoe
02-06-2008, 16:27
My son in law and I were staying at the old gooch gap shelter. He went down and hitched a ride to town and he thinks it was hilton that was parked at the road. He gave him a ride to Suches and back. When he got back he said some wierdo gave him a ride. If it was him I wished he had tried something with my son in law. There would be a lot of people still alive.

Clyde

Clyde, did the guy have teeth?
Apparently Hilton's dentition was terrible.
Reports say he pulled his own teeth.

rafe
02-06-2008, 16:29
Thank God it will never happen!!!!!:sun

right on. vote for huckabee. evolution is a myth. ;)

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 16:37
Is this a thread about Hilton or God? And if its about God, shouldnt you all take that to one of the other forums?

I am really glad those of you that may have come across Hilton are unharmed by this psycho. Just be careful out there. This part of society has creeped in and we have to protect it as best we can. Take care of each other out there and report the creepy people you come across ASAP. You could be saving a Meredith Emerson or an Irene Bryant

Scrollner
02-06-2008, 16:49
He looks like a guy I saw in the Shenandoah near Rock Creek shelter. Had a dog with him. Said he had left a construction job in Orlando, and was hiking around until he decided what to do next. He then started asking my Daughter some weird questions, so we left and hiked back to Big Meadows and camped there for the night.

Rentman
02-06-2008, 16:49
When I saw his picture I knew I had seen him before. When I told my friend about it his wife said " I know I saw him in Paul's hiking pictures". I have so many that I can't locate a pic of him. But I believe back in 2005, April 5th, he might have shared a ride with me and my hiking partner from Neels Gap back to Amicalola Falls. All I remember is that he was really strange and wouldn't shut up. He was headed to Gainesville Ga. The shuttle was run by Josh and Leigh of the Hiker Hostel..................If that was him, I'm glad it wasn't one on one.....................BOS...............:mad:

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 16:55
Sucks what? Lemons? Only when it's really hot, or he's drinking Dos Exxis.

Now don't be taking his name in vain. By the way, which of his many iconclasms do you object to? Probably the we're more popular than Jesus quip.

his music

weary
02-06-2008, 17:11
I can respect an atheist who is willing to give a rational explanation of his/her beliefs......
I think you have your test backwards. There is no rational explanation for Christianity. It's contrary to scientific knowledge. And contrary to human experience. Three beings, God, the Son and the Holy Ghost, but the three beings, being just one. The dead brought to life. Water into wine. A human walking on water. Multiple stories of creation. Multiple versions of Christ's birth. A bible inspired by God. Or as some believe the literal words of God.

But strangely, a jealous God in the Old Testament, a God who would be guilty of child abuse if today he commanded a dad to sacrifice his child. Your faith champions a God that would turn a woman to pillar of salt for just glancing back at her home town that God was destroying. A joker God, who creates earlier versions of plants, animals and people and evidence in the rocks and mountains that the earth is billions of years old in order to trick people into disbelieving Genisis so he can burn them in hell for an eternity.

I'm not saying people are wrong to believe. It's a matter of faith, and faith needs no reason, no logic, no common sense. Take note of God-fearing Middle East Islamists, whose bible references the same God as the Christian Bible and contains many of the same accounts as the western bible.

There are certainly mysteries about the Universe, some of which may be beyond the ability of humans to solve. But that is not evidence of a God, especially a God that your faith believes violates the rules that seem to control that universe.

Weary

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 17:17
Weary, I think there are very few people who believe every word of the Bible literally, without room for metaphor. I also think if we want to discuss this, we should start a new thread in politics.

Kiyu
02-06-2008, 17:18
Which does not mean you are not right.

Kiyu

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 17:36
Curios, VERY CURIOUS, that a thread that should be titled "The God you believe in", is instead titled "Gary Hilton".
What the frick???:confused:

GGS2
02-06-2008, 17:38
his music

Oh, Wold, you poor, poor man. I feel for you. Sigh. Oh well, can't be helped.

GGS2
02-06-2008, 17:40

Uh, that would be "Wolf."

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 17:40

huh? i don't get it

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 17:45
Seriously Take it somewhere else:mad::mad::mad:

I think you have your test backwards. There is no rational explanation for Christianity. It's contrary to scientific knowledge. And contrary to human experience. Three beings, God, the Son and the Holy Ghost, but the three beings, being just one. The dead brought to life. Water into wine. A human walking on water. Multiple stories of creation. Multiple versions of Christ's birth. A bible inspired by God. Or as some believe the literal words of God.

But strangely, a jealous God in the Old Testament, a God who would be guilty of child abuse if today he commanded a dad to sacrifice his child. Your faith champions a God that would turn a woman to pillar of salt for just glancing back at her home town that God was destroying. A joker God, who creates earlier versions of plants, animals and people and evidence in the rocks and mountains that the earth is billions of years old in order to trick people into disbelieving Genisis so he can burn them in hell for an eternity.

I'm not saying people are wrong to believe. It's a matter of faith, and faith needs no reason, no logic, no common sense. Take note of God-fearing Middle East Islamists, whose bible references the same God as the Christian Bible and contains many of the same accounts as the western bible.

There are certainly mysteries about the Universe, some of which may be beyond the ability of humans to solve. But that is not evidence of a God, especially a God that your faith believes violates the rules that seem to control that universe.

Weary

gold bond
02-06-2008, 17:48
Which does not mean you are not right.

Kiyu

Go back and read the whole post, I never said he was wrong!

GGS2
02-06-2008, 17:51
huh? i don't get it

No, I see that.

Kiyu
02-06-2008, 17:53
Go back and read the whole post, I never said he was wrong!
Read mine. I never said you said he wasn't. I was replying to his post.

Kiyu

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 17:56

you feel bad for me cuz i think lennon's music sucks

rafe
02-06-2008, 17:56
Seriously Take it somewhere else:mad::mad::mad:

Why is that? Folks get to say, Praise God and God bless, or Pray for this or that, or any number of similar vacuous, trite expressions, connected to any topic whatsoever, but when one us of objects (or points out the logical fallacy of such belief) there's hell to pay. Bit of a double standard, doncha think? :-?

rcli4
02-06-2008, 17:58
Clyde, did the guy have teeth?
Apparently Hilton's dentition was terrible.
Reports say he pulled his own teeth.

I didn't see him. Jared did.

Clyde

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 18:00
Why is that? Folks get to say, Praise God and God bless, or Pray for this or that, or any number of similar vacuous, trite expressions, connected to any topic whatsoever, but when one us of objects (or points out the logical fallacy of such belief) there's hell to pay. Bit of a double standard, doncha think? :-?

Because if you would look at the title of the thread and take that stuff to the other forum where it belongs. We are talking about sketchy people on the trail in reference to Gary Hilton:rolleyes:

rcli4
02-06-2008, 18:02

If you start a thread that says G*d sucks and I cam in and said I seen Hilton on the trail you would give me hell to. I am interested in this guys connection with the trail. Would you please go start that thread. I really don't care what you believe unless you believe you seen Hilton somewhere.

Clyde

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 18:04
If you start a thread that says G*d sucks and I cam in and said I seen Hilton on the trail you would give me hell to. I am interested in this guys connection with the trail. Would you please go start that thread. I really don't care what you believe unless you believe you seen Hilton somewhere.

Clyde

:clap:clap:clap Thank you Clyde
I hate when this happens. Starting to happen so often that I want to stop coming on here.:mad:

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 18:05
Every thread should be STRAIGHT FORWARD then. end of problem

whitefoot_hp
02-06-2008, 18:07
modern man is incapable of focusing on something for too long. Straight forward, while idealistic, is a myth.

Scrollner
02-06-2008, 18:09
Every thread should be STRAIGHT FORWARD then. end of problem

No, but the point is that this thread is about people who may have seen Gary Hilton on the trail, not Theology.

rafe
02-06-2008, 18:10
I hate when this happens. Starting to happen so often that I want to stop coming on here.:mad:

There's plenty offense to go around on WB. Sometimes subtle, sometimes in-your-face. Not a good place for the faint of heart. If it weren't for Blissful's innocent and well-meaning "Praise God" I wouldn't have posted on this thread. 'Nuff said.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 18:10
No, but the point is that this thread is about people who may have seen Gary Hilton on the trail, not Theology.

threads NEVER stay on topic

GGS2
02-06-2008, 18:11
huh? i don't get it

you feel bad for me cuz i think lennon's music sucks

Bingo! :banana :clap

johnny quest
02-06-2008, 18:20
There's plenty offense to go around on WB.
so why not add some more, right?

If it weren't for Blissful's innocent and well-meaning "Praise God" I wouldn't have posted on this thread. 'Nuff said.
innocent and well-meaning. so lets attack it. how nice.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 18:21
There's plenty offense to go around on WB. Sometimes subtle, sometimes in-your-face. Not a good place for the faint of heart. If it weren't for Blissful's innocent and well-meaning "Praise God" I wouldn't have posted on this thread. 'Nuff said.

Im not faint of heart. If you wouldnt prey on opps to interject so much crap and just take that stuff somewhere else. Its an APPALACHIAN TRAIL forum about Gary Hilton and sketchy people on the trail. If I want to talk about God Ill go to the other forums.

Nuff said, Im outta here. I done.

Jan LiteShoe
02-06-2008, 18:28
I didn't see him. Jared did.

Clyde

Well, ask him if he had teeth?
Inquiring minds.

rafe
02-06-2008, 18:29
Its an APPALACHIAN TRAIL forum about Gary Hilton and sketchy people on the trail. If I want to talk about God Ill go to the other forums.

Gary Hilton has gotten more than his share of air-time on this forum. Has that occurred to you? Discussions stemming from Meredith Emerson's death have completely dominated Whiteblaze for the last month and a half. Maybe some of us would rather talk about something other than a sick, vicious criminal, and all the sick things we'd like to do to him, or whether we saw him on the trail, or how best to avoid or defend against other sickos like him.

And FYI, it was not my intention to bring g*d into the debate. You can thank Blissful for that.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 18:32
OK, enough about religion.... if you don't want to read about the crime or the killer, don't open the threads on that topic....

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic: who saw Gary Hilton, when and where.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 18:34
Gary Hilton has gotten more than his share of air-time on this forum. Has that occurred to you? Discussions stemming from Meredith Emerson's death have completely dominated Whiteblaze for the last month and a half. Maybe some of us would rather talk about something other than a sick, vicious criminal, and all the sick things we'd like to do to him, or whether we saw him on the trail, or how best to avoid or defend against other sickos like him.

And FYI, it was not my intention to bring g*d into the debate. You can thank Blissful for that.

Gary Hilton incident happened on THE APPALACHAIN TRAIL. Its an APPALACHIAN TRAIL TOPIC IN AN APPALACHIAN TRAIL FORUM.

Also, how to avoid and defend against sickos like him is a VERY important topic because this happened on THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL.

THINK MCFLY THINK!

River Runner
02-06-2008, 18:40
Didn't see him, but a friend and I were hiking in the vicinity of Rock Gap Shelter on November 2. We had been warned someone homeless was staying there so we gave it a wide berth.

warren doyle
02-06-2008, 18:44
I'm glad I'm not thin and still have good teeth.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 18:45
I'm glad I'm not thin and still have good teeth.
I went to school there, lotta sketchy people in Avery County.

orangebug
02-06-2008, 18:48
Episodes of homeless and/or mentally ill people squatting in AT shelters is nothing new.

I have only had one experience with a person that gave me the creeps and led me to decide to hike further. That person was pretty obviously ill, and was known to the local ranger (at Fontana) and others. Real thru hikers caught up to this sectioner and told me of her bizarre behavior the next morning.

The point is that hikers need to bring their street smarts to the trail and avoid answering questions that would be suspect downtown. Offer to send help for someone who acts injured, rather than let them get in your space - risking assault.

johnny quest
02-06-2008, 18:49
is it naive of me to ask why hikers/trail maintainers/hiking clubs put up with people (homeless or otherwise) living in shelters?

oh, and terrapin,.... GOD GOD GOD GOD JESUS.

Red Hat
02-06-2008, 18:53

The Hebrews did not pronounce the name of God (YHVH are the closest English letters in the name Yud He Vav He in Hebrew} and said instead "Adonai". That was translated LORD in the King James Version and most other versions until some modern ones came up with "Yahweh".

Today most Jewish people still don't say "God" but instead say "HaShem" meaning the Name and write "g-d". Terrapin is following that tradition.

Sorry I wrote this after only reading page one, now I know I was not on topic....

adamkrz
02-06-2008, 18:54
I don't, I contacted a D.E.P. officer about a person living at a shelter here in CT. They removed him the next day.

take-a-knee
02-06-2008, 18:57
is it naive of me to ask why hikers/trail maintainers/hiking clubs put up with people (homeless or otherwise) living in shelters?

oh, and terrapin,.... GOD GOD GOD GOD JESUS.

They are governed by US Forest Service Regs, Hilton knew the rules, he knew he could camp at a shelter for two weeks, leave for a day, and return. I would guess that rule was designed to accomodate hunting camps, and the prescence of shelters on the AT allows vagrancy as a result. No more shelters, please.

johnny quest
02-06-2008, 19:02
wow. didnt know that the shelters were looked at just like a car campsite in a campground. they need to change that. seems to me the very "mission" of a shelter is to provide one or two days of stay for a person who is traveling on the trail.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 19:04
tear all shelters down. a step in a positive direction

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 19:05
So was Rudolph a shelter jumper?:-?

stumpy
02-06-2008, 19:14
I doubt it. He would have been caught much sooner.

Scrollner
02-06-2008, 19:17
threads NEVER stay on topic

Thats exactly my point!

Mountain Man
02-06-2008, 19:17
I spend a big majority of my time on or around the trail either hiking,trail maint., or my employment. I see lots and lots of hikers. I've run up on a good many "nut cases" out there. A few years back just south of Springer I ran up on a hiker going slow so I spoke and started around. He started talking And pretty quick I thought now this dude is p!ssed at the whole world. I don't remember what I said to set him off and I knew it wasn't directed towards me,but he got to talking about the "flatlanders", Goverment, but mainly at the Ridgerunner who he considered part of the Goverment. He said the Ridgerunner made him hang his food on the bear cables and if a bear got his food he would slit the Ridgerunners throat. The Ridgerunner was a good friend of mine so me and this dude didn't see eye to eye at all. I finally just put it off as an angry old man and went on up the trail, but later did tell the Ridgerunner to watch out for him. After seeing Hiltons picture I thought he sure did favor that dude except the one I ran into was a little heavier. Could have been him but can't say for sure.

As for as God goes I just want to go on record saying "I'm on your side Blissful" I believe in God and sure ain't ashamed to say it.

Heater
02-06-2008, 19:24

Well then, why is everyone attacking terrapins comment rather than Blissful? She is the one that brought "theology" into the thread!

I was thinking the same thing you were, terrapin. You just said it first.
They flash their religion at you and when you tell 'em stuff it back where it came from you are demonized. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/devil10.gif

Buncha crap.

johnny quest
02-06-2008, 19:56
blissfull's comment was so in-passing and part of a comment that was on topic. terrapins was an attack on her for that one piece of her comment. it had nothing to do with the thread's topic.
i wish all you brave athiests would go attack the muslims. me, i have a cartoon of mohammed on my office wall. but liberals and athiests who jump at every chance to attack christians cant seem to find time to speak out against the one religion in the world that enslaves women, murders innocents and is bent on world domination. no, that aint gonna happen. bra ve brave athiests.
now that ive vented....we should take this elsewhere. let me know where the thread is.

jesse
02-06-2008, 20:04
She is the one that brought "theology" into the thread!

Believers are often criticized by non believers for " imposing their beliefs on others" Now a person uses an expression of faith, and its ok for non believers to impose their ideas on believers.

They flash their religion at you and when you tell 'em stuff it back where it came from you are demonized. How hypocritical Blissful did not flash anything. Terrapin is the one who is trying to impose his non religion on the rest of us.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 20:05
i'm leaving bible tracts in the shelters this year

rafe
02-06-2008, 20:07
For the record, Dino asked for an end to the religious discussion about 20 posts ago... :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 20:09
time to shut this one down too. :)

rafe
02-06-2008, 20:09

You wouldn't be the first.

Heater
02-06-2008, 20:13

Good place for em.

Gray Blazer
02-06-2008, 20:54
Don't shut this thread down (he said). It's interesting, if not a little macabre.

I remember when it wasn't cool to say God Bless Anything. It takes guts to say that. It takes guts to say you're an atheist. That's why people don't talk about certain things.

My ex was devastated when she heard the news about John Lennon. A lot of people were like that. Personally, I don't care for his music. It's hard to dance to. Now, The Beatles.....that was something else. My favorite is when John AND Paul AND George traded fours on that rocker on Abbey Road just before And In the End. You can tell who is playing and I think John outrocked Paul and George on that one!

Useless trivia: How do you use all the Beatles names in one sentence?
Answer: "By George", said Paul, sitting in the John, "where'd my Ring go (Ringo)?"

dixicritter
02-06-2008, 21:12
Get back to the topic of the thread please.... by the way it is not religion... it is Gary Hilton and has anyone ever seen him on the trail, if so when, where... etc.

take-a-knee
02-06-2008, 21:22
blissfull's comment was so in-passing and part of a comment that was on topic. terrapins was an attack on her for that one piece of her comment. it had nothing to do with the thread's topic.
i wish all you brave athiests would go attack the muslims. me, i have a cartoon of mohammed on my office wall. but liberals and athiests who jump at every chance to attack christians cant seem to find time to speak out against the one religion in the world that enslaves women, murders innocents and is bent on world domination. no, that aint gonna happen. bra ve brave athiests.
now that ive vented....we should take this elsewhere. let me know where the thread is.

GOD BLESS YOU for having the cajones to say that!

spunky
02-06-2008, 21:42
Stumpy,
I was there with a couple of friends the same time you were! I met a group of trail maintainers and they told me about "a weird guy" and not to stay at that shelter. They said they were going to report him to Forest Service. It's creepy thinking that (I) we were on the trail with him! I'm especially happy that we hiked out and spent the night at a motel and didn't spend the night at the shelter!!

clured
02-06-2008, 21:49
That was uncalled for!! And quite stupid also!:mad:

Why, though? Christians are consistently horrified when non-believers just spit back exactly what their churches hold to be official dogma. If God is all powerful, then he must be guilty of murdering that poor girl - or at least playing massive accessory to the crime - as well as responsible for the capture of Hilton, the trigger man. Don't get mad at Terrapin because your beliefs are incoherent.

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 21:55
Why, though? Christians are consistently horrified when non-believers just spit back exactly what their churches hold to be official dogma. If God is all powerful, then he must be guilty of murdering that poor girl - or at least playing massive accessory to the crime - as well as responsible for the capture of Hilton, the trigger man. Don't get mad at Terrapin because your beliefs are incoherent.
What part of this is NOT a thread about ones' GOD or religious beliefs do you folks NOT understand, ForChristSake!!

clured
02-06-2008, 21:59
What part of this is NOT a thread about ones' GOD or religious beliefs do you folks NOT understand, ForChristSake!!

Just trying to help Terrapin beat away the gang of the godly. It became a thread about religion..

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 21:59
Curios, VERY CURIOUS, that a thread that should be titled "The God you believe in", is instead titled "Gary Hilton".
What the frick???:confused:

OK, enough about religion.... if you don't want to read about the crime or the killer, don't open the threads on that topic....

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic: who saw Gary Hilton, when and where.

Get back to the topic of the thread please.... by the way it is not religion... it is Gary Hilton and has anyone ever seen him on the trail, if so when, where... etc.
Jesus!!!!! It's about if you ever saw they Hilton dude. Take your religious beliefs elsewhere. Yikes already.

Kirby
02-06-2008, 22:02
I don't have the link, but there was an interesting video of Hilton encountering a county officer.

Some of you computer people I bet could find it, I think it might be on Youtube somewhere.

Kirby

Heater
02-06-2008, 22:05

I don't get it either ForSatanSake!!

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 22:06
I don't get it either ForSatanSake!!
Exactly.;)

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 22:06
I don't have the link, but there was an interesting video of Hilton encountering a county officer.

Some of you computer people I bet could find it, I think it might be on Youtube somewhere.

Kirby

There is a video out there, I dont know where of some of the first reports after Irene Bryant disappeared of him using her husbands ATM card. Creepy!!! I saw some sketchers in GSMNP but Ridgerunner Jim swooped in and moved them along in the middle of the night at Mt Collins.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 22:09
Just trying to help Terrapin beat away the gang of the godly. It became a thread about religion..

FINE, I will start the thread for you guys

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 22:10
FINE, I will start the thread for you guys
Thanks CC. :)

Heater
02-06-2008, 22:10
Exactly.;)

It's about time someone agreed on something, praise Allah.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 22:14
Here you go, your very own thread to talk about God. we are going to go back to Gary Hilton and related AT topics. Thanks for stopping by:D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=526937#post526937

Bulldawg
02-06-2008, 22:15
Hoo Rah CC, thanks for moving this discussion. I had to read 7 darned pages to see if anyone had seen Hilton.

Here you go, your very own thread to talk about God. we are going to go back to Gary Hilton and related AT topics. Thanks for stopping by:D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=526937#post526937

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 22:16
Colonel Chaco and I have both started threads about God. That's where that conversation belongs.
Anyone else ever see Gary Hilton??

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 22:19
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/FlyingSpagMonster-Hilton.jpg

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 22:21
And the award for worst t-shirt design goes to. . . .

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/FlyingSpagMonster-Hilton.jpg

:ohttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/hiding.gif

Burnt Boots
02-06-2008, 22:30
And the award for worst t-shirt design goes to. . . .

OMG, what IS that thing? :eek:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 22:33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Jan LiteShoe
02-06-2008, 23:44
Well, if you saw him,, they want to know:
http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080206/NEWS01/80206060

Authorities seek public’s help placing Hilton in Macon County
by Jon Ostendorff ([email protected])
published February 6, 2008 3:39 pm

FRANKLIN – Authorities in Macon County today are asking for the public’s help in placing convicted killer Gary Michael Hilton in the area in October.
Web Extras: Multimedia & Related Content
http://www.citizen-times.com/graphics/icons/interactive.gif Hilton questioned by Georgia sheriff's deputy (http://www.ashvid.net/video/video/show?id=738711:Video:6551)

Sheriff Robert Holland said his office received tips that Hilton had been in the area before the Saturday discovery of the skeletal remains of 80-year-old John Bryant. Now he wants to hear from more people.

“If you have the slightest suspicion, call us,” he said. “Let the investigators decide if it is important.”
Hilton, 61, is suspected in Bryant’s death and the slaying of his 84-year-old wife Irene in the Pisgah National Forest in Transylvania County.
A hunter in Macon County spotted a skull on Saturday off a forest service road a few miles from Standing Indian campground on Old Murphy Road in an area known locally as the switchbacks. A medical examiner identified the remains as Bryant’s on Monday.
The area is about two hours from where Irene Bryant was killed on Oct. 21. The couple had been on a hike together in the Pink Beds area. Someone used their ATM card in Ducktown, Tenn., the day after she was killed with a blow to the head. Her body was discovered Nov. 9.
Ducktown is about two hours from the forest service road in Macon County.
The killings happened during peak leaf season, meaning there were plenty of people in the woods and on the roads, Holland said.
“Anybody could have seen him,” he said.
Holland is also asking people to report anyone who matched Hilton’s description who may have been looking for work doing odd jobs or asking for help from churches last fall.
He wants people to remember how Hilton looked before he was arrested in Georgia. He had a beard and looked scruffier than he has looked in court photographs. He was driving a white Chevrolet Astro van at the time.
The sheriff today said the homicide investigation is continuing. He said he could not discuss how John Bryant died or where he was killed.
Hilton last week pleaded guilty to the beating death of Georgia hiker Meredith Emerson. He was sentenced life in prison. He is also a suspect in the December slaying of a woman in a national forest in Florida.
Authorities are investigating ties between Hilton and a woman missing from Bryson City since 2005.
Call Macon County Crimestoppers at 349-2600 if you have information about Gary Michael Hilton.

bmike
02-07-2008, 11:22
... the one religion in the world that enslaves women, murders innocents and is bent on world domination....

and do tell which religion that might be?
seems it would work well for the history of christianity and all of its variants...

no?

Ron Haven
02-16-2008, 00:21
They are reports on Western,NC tv stations that they did found clothes in Hilton's van relating him to these other murders.

Tinker
02-16-2008, 00:37
I wouldn't be surprised. It seems that this man has no conscience or remorse that would have prevented him from repeating.
I'm glad for his capture.
I'm sorrowful for his victims and their families.