PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin closing early?

Aubee
02-06-2008, 11:57
I am curious about the stats on Katahdin closing earlier than October 15th. I would love it if anyone could tell me how often this happens or where to find Katahdin's actual closing dates for the past decade or so.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 11:59
katahdin never closes. just the campgrounds and roads leading in there

Blissful
02-06-2008, 12:03
LW loves Baxter State Park and our grand northern terminus. :)

I thought the state park itself always closes by Oct 15. But hikers I think have been allowed in there past the official closing date (?). Just can't camp in there, supposedly.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 12:06
LW loves Baxter State Park and our grand northern terminus. :)

I thought the state park itself always closes by Oct 15. But hikers I think have been allowed in there past the official closing date (?). Just can't camp in there, supposedly.

no. just the campgrounds close on oct. 15th. the park stays open for day use only til nov. 1st i think. then all roads leading in are shut down/gated

clured
02-06-2008, 12:09
I've always been a little skeptical about all this. I mean, I don't want to be encouraging anything "illegal" (if that applies), but what exactly would stop you from climbing? It's your a$$ if you freeze to death up there. Take a half-mile bushwack around the campground, if it's patrolled?

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 12:10
I am curious about the stats on Katahdin closing earlier than October 15th. I would love it if anyone could tell me how often this happens or where to find Katahdin's actual closing dates for the past decade or so.

http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html

attroll
02-06-2008, 12:26
no. just the campgrounds close on oct. 15th. the park stays open for day use only til nov. 1st i think. then all roads leading in are shut down/gated
I just drove into Katahdin last Saturday and the gates were not closed. I forgot to mention it was on a snowmobile. I think they close the gates until snowmobile season opens and then they reopen them for snowmobile traffic.

dessertrat
02-06-2008, 12:35
I remember about a process for leading a winter expedition up Katahdin, but you're talking about a lot of red tape over a months long process: submitting your climbing resume, going in a group, showing to the rangers that you are prepared with proper gear, etc. And it is still up to them as to whether to let you go up.

That is probably a good idea. Katahdin in winter is a truly dangerous mountain, which is something some people don't realize.

Aubee
02-06-2008, 12:38
Thanks Lone Wolf. Just what I needed.

max patch
02-06-2008, 12:44
I think what Aubee is really asking is about the possibility of arriving at Baxter before 10/15 yet having Katahdin closed because of the conditions.

I don't know what the answer to that is; although I bet contacting the park would give Aubee the answer.

I do know that when I arrived at K in early October (6th IIRC) K was closed for 2 days because of snow and ice. All of the thrus except myself and one other went to town to wait out the opening. On the 3rd day K was still closed, however, the ranger allowed us to summit (after they checked our gear and required us to take our full packs). There was only the 2 of us on K that day. An incredible way to end the hike.

Aubee
02-06-2008, 12:56
The Baxter website is helpful, but you're right, max patch. You've explained my question and concern. I was watching Appalachian Impressions the other day and I was surprised when the voiceover said that those thru-hikers may have had to quit before summiting as the park may close early. The web site says that October 15th is the last day you should plan on summiting but that snow and ice may be a problem starting 3rd week in Sept. I guess there are no guarantees.

bulldog49
02-06-2008, 14:18
Baxter State Park stays open, but unless something has changed, I thought Kahtadin Mountain itself is closed in the fall after the first snowfall to hikers.

I'm also curious when this event normally take place. October 15th is the date I hear mentioned the most.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2008, 14:19
a mountain doesn't close

Maineiac
02-06-2008, 20:14
Baxter State Park stays open, but unless something has changed, I thought Kahtadin Mountain itself is closed in the fall after the first snowfall to hikers.

I'm also curious when this event normally take place. October 15th is the date I hear mentioned the most.

The date that you keep hearing, Oct. 15, is the date that the park "closes" to overnight camping. It is still open for day use for a while after that date. Depending on weather and trail conditions, the trails above tree line may be "closed", and that may mean you will not be able to summit K.

I personally know several people who have snowmobiled, hiked, enjoyed cross country skiing and camped in the Park during the winter months. Also, I have read trail reports recently of groups who have climbed Katahdin and other mountains in the area recently. As stated earlier, this can be a long process to obtain permission from the Park authority to enter the Park in the winter months.

The Old Fhart
02-06-2008, 20:33
Dessertrat-"I remember about a process for leading a winter expedition up Katahdin, but you're talking about a lot of red tape over a months long process: submitting your climbing resume, going in a group, showing to the rangers that you are prepared with proper gear, etc. And it is still up to them as to whether to let you go up.

That is probably a good idea. Katahdin in winter is a truly dangerous mountain, which is something some people don't realize."That is correct. The mountain is never closed for the winter season but after Oct. 15th the rules drastically change, especially in regard to above tree line use. Whether they will let thru-hikers go up the mountain around or shortly after Oct 15th depends a lot on conditions. I have legally lead a group that climbed Baxter, Hamlin, N. & S. Brother, Fort, and Coe in March one winter. The process is detailed but quite doable. When I did it all members of the group had to submit application forms stating their experience and training and they had to be approved by BSP or they couldn't go.

If you have the necessary training and experience and you hit good weather, it can be a fantastic trip. Just don't try to circumvent the process and sneak in. I know of at least 2 occasions where unapproved people did sneak in and they were removed and jailed.

warren doyle
02-06-2008, 20:35
I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself on this one.

Lilred
02-06-2008, 20:59
I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself on this one.

I'm sure it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know what you would say.....

Looks like Admin has finally gotten through to you. Good job Admin!

Kirby
02-06-2008, 21:01
I know thru hikers summited as late as early November this year.

Kirby

warren doyle
02-06-2008, 21:05
I'm sure it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know what you would say.....

Looks like Admin has finally gotten through to you. Good job Admin!

Unfortunately, you are wrong again.

The only influence on my response (post) was my own better judgement.

I hope you are not headed down the info superhighway to 'Internegatorhood'.

The Old Fhart
02-06-2008, 21:30
TOF-"...I know of at least 2 occasions where unapproved people did sneak in and they were removed and jailed."One was 1986-87 when "The Traveler" tried it.

WD-"The only influence on my response (post) was my own better judgement."I knew it wasn't your conscience that made you fess up.:D

warren doyle
02-06-2008, 21:32
2 occasions?

Mum's the word.

Lilred
02-06-2008, 22:06
Unfortunately, you are wrong again.

The only influence on my response (post) was my own better judgement.

I hope you are not headed down the info superhighway to 'Internegatorhood'.

LOLOL hook, line and sinker geez Warren you're so easy.....

Tennessee Viking
02-06-2008, 23:33
Baxter itself will close, and if you are wanting a pickup after your track at Katahdin you have to hike back out. Closing down a portion of trail takes a major disaster.