PDA

View Full Version : Smokies in early March

pittmad
02-06-2008, 13:24
I'm thinking about knocking out the Smokies in early March before I start my thru-hike on 3/30 because I'm going to be starting off with my well-trained and leashed dog (just thought I'd throw that in there) and I'd prefer to not have to kennel her at Fontana. This way I can leave her at home while I do the 7-8 day leg through the Smokies early.

How packed are the shelters in the Smokies in early March? Brutal weather? :-?

ScottP
02-06-2008, 13:26
Brutal weather? Maybe. It's spring in Appalachia. It's unpredictable, but your idea is good.

1) Do you have an arrangement for a shuttle around the smokies for you and your dog?

2) How much will transport to/from the smokies cost you?

Are 1 and 2 together more or less of an expense and hassle than just shuttling your dog around the smokies?

pittmad
02-06-2008, 13:29
It's only about a 2 hr drive from my front yard to Fontana, so I'm not worried about the cost of getting there. And as far as a shuttle, I have friends that volunteered to meet me at Fontana, spend a night camping with me and then take me up to I-40 on the other side of the Smokies the next day. (great friends)

Sounds like it definitely makes sense to cover the Smokies early since I can.

journalist
02-06-2008, 14:29
your thru-hike won't count if you do that.

pittmad
02-06-2008, 14:32
I guess it'll just have to count in my mind then. IF I choose to do it this way.

ScottP
02-06-2008, 15:31

Troll, or just an idiot?

DesertMTB
02-06-2008, 15:32

It will count to him, and that's all that matters.

GGS2
02-06-2008, 16:32
Troll, or just an idiot?

Enthusiast. Fanatic. Naïf. Not dangerous: just annoying.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 16:40
How packed are the shelters in the Smokies in early March? Brutal weather?

PLan for the worst hope for best. Coulld be snowing, could be in the 70's. NC weather is like no other these days.

Ender
02-06-2008, 16:42

Count to whom? To you? Well, if that's your attitude, doesn't seem like anyone would want your approval for anything.

Seriously, your statement is just ridiculous. Completely ridiculous. Get a grip.

Ender
02-06-2008, 16:43
Shelters could be busy if the weather is nice enough. If it's snowing, which it easily could be in early March in the Smokies, there will be far fewer people. Just depends on the weather.

journalist
02-06-2008, 16:56
seriously, isn't it time to demand that "thru-hikers" meet some kind of standards? it's gotten to the point where they skip around all over the place willy-nilly, slack-pack, take weeks off at a time, stay in motels two or three times a week. it's ridiculous.

journalist
02-06-2008, 16:58
Troll, or just an idiot?

anybody who posts anything but the usual pablum on this site is accused of being a troll.

pittmad
02-06-2008, 17:19
dang journalist, you sound a little bitter. I didn't mean for my thread to get you worked up, I just asked a simple question and looked for a simple answer. Which I received thanks to everyone else. In my original post, please replace my usage of "thruhike" with "poser thruhike due to the fact that I cut out seven days to complete early so my hiking partner will have the most enjoyable and comfortable time as possible" if it'll work better for you.

again, thanks to those for answering my question.

Ender
02-06-2008, 17:27
seriously, isn't it time to demand that "thru-hikers" meet some kind of standards? it's gotten to the point where they skip around all over the place willy-nilly, slack-pack, take weeks off at a time, stay in motels two or three times a week. it's ridiculous.

No, it's not.

Even the ATC doesn't recognize the term "thru-hiker". Stop trying to impose rules where there shouldn't be any. It's the friggin woods, it's a friggin trail, and all it is is just walking in the woods on that trail. It's not some super-duper special thing that should be monitored, regulated, and classified. It's fricking walking. In the woods.

If you really need rules, go run a marathon or something. And stop worrying about what everyone else is doing... just think about your own hike. sheesh :rolleyes:

Rcarver
02-06-2008, 17:45
Sounds like this "journalist" has his own ideas about how someone should be hiking.

DesertMTB
02-07-2008, 11:19

Have you ever thru-hiked?

You first post on WB was claiming you were doing a "Summer Guide."

I have serious doubts you are a "Journalist" just by reading your poorly written posts.