PDA

View Full Version : Oh wise Yogi

Chaco Taco
02-06-2008, 19:11
Just curious about if this still goes on. Do hikers really sit around and yogi for food and stuff anymore. Dont really hear about this anymore.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2008, 19:37
I never sat around and Yogied, I'm more of an opportunistic yogi. The times I’ve yogied were because I saw weekenders with too much food that they could never finish off without some help.

Funny thing is, before 2006 I never imagined I would have yogied, but once that "hiker appetite" hits and you see a family with too much food, you just can’t help it, it’s only a natural reaction. No need to instruct anyone on how to yogi, it’ll come naturally when that incredibly appetite hits and the opportunity presents itself.

bigmac_in
02-06-2008, 20:20
Some Yogi on the trail, just like some Yogi off the trail.

1/4 moon
02-08-2008, 16:44
Some do yogi...i myself bought 4 days of food in Harpers Ferry and made it to DWG before resupplying, a few friends and i called it the yogi thru PA challenge

hobojoe
02-08-2008, 16:56
Just curious about if this still goes on. Do hikers really sit around and yogi for food and stuff anymore. Dont really hear about this anymore.
What are you talking about???? You yogi beers from me all the time.
Yogi's best trick:
1. Sit down with the car campers at their picnick table
2. groan and clutch your stomach
3. Rummage in pack for a jar of PB and brick of ramen
4. Apply Peanut butter directly to dry uncooked ramen.
5. Enjoy their steak, sandwiches, and or beer without the ramen touching your lips.

A-Train
02-08-2008, 16:56
I was starving this summer in the Sierra, having almost run out of food and having to stretch my rations thin, due to increased appetite and poor planning. I was able to Yogi some extra food for 4 of us on top of Forrester Pass from a great section hiker who was carrying entirely too much food. Nafta thought it was a thing of beauty.

Remember, it's not begging, or asking, it's a subtle suggestion. Sometimes people don't pick up on it...:)

Lone Wolf
02-08-2008, 16:57
go up to a winnebago and ask to buy a couple of slices of bread

FatMan
02-08-2008, 17:01
What are you talking about???? You yogi beers from me all the time.
Yogi's best trick:
1. Sit down with the car campers at their picnick table
2. groan and clutch your stomach
3. Rummage in pack for a jar of PB and brick of ramen
4. Apply Peanut butter directly to dry uncooked ramen.
5. Enjoy their steak, sandwiches, and or beer without the ramen touching your lips.Yogi is a bum. There are plenty of folks who will happily share with you without playing yogi. Those that Yogi do an injustice to the hiker community.

hobojoe
02-08-2008, 17:07
Yogi is a bum. There are plenty of folks who will happily share with you without playing yogi. Those that Yogi do an injustice to the hiker community.
You have obviously never been starving or poor, you are one of the lucky ones.
But seriously, only yogi when it is necesary. or they have something you want.
Couple of years ago lowgear hollered at a group of one night campers, "got any steak?". One of the best meals of my life ensued. No one was hurt. take a chill pill fatman.

Pedaling Fool
02-08-2008, 18:34
Yogi is a bum. There are plenty of folks who will happily share with you without playing yogi. Those that Yogi do an injustice to the hiker community.
That's basically what happens when you yogi, you're just offloading some excess food from people. Begging is not yogiing, beggin is straight out asking but yogiing is an art..

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2008, 18:34
go up to a winnebago and ask to buy a couple of slices of bread
IF YOU ASK, ITS NOT YOGI'ING ITS BEGGING.

Pedaling Fool
02-08-2008, 18:36
He said "...ask to buy..."

Lone Wolf
02-08-2008, 18:37

I'm asking to BUY a couple slices of bread. that ain't begging or yogiing. but invariably you end up with all kinds of stuff

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2008, 19:02
I'm asking to BUY a couple slices of bread. that ain't begging or yogiing. but invariably you end up with all kinds of stuff
GOOD POINT.

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 19:14
Agreed - it's manipulative behavior. It's knowingly using people's good nature for personal gain.

ScottP
02-09-2008, 12:02
Notice that almost all the anti-yogi comments come from cyberhikers.

Nothing wrong with yogi-ing. Section hikers always bring too much food. They don't want to carry it, and they're not going to take it home and eat it after their trip is done. All yogi-ing is doing is subtly letting them know that you're always hungry as a thru-hiker.

Yogi-ing is not manipulative behavior that preys on people's good nature--it's not like you're asking parents "oh, will you feed a poor hungry priest? Don't you know what charity is?" in front of their children.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-09-2008, 12:14
As a section hiker, I can assure you that yogi behavior is alive and well among thru-hikers. I am willing to help if I have enough food to do so. Most understand when I say "great Yogi, but I didn't bring any extra chow on this trip."

A few thrus over the years have been downright rude about it when I didn't give them some of our dinner or trail snacks. Some seem to think that section and day hikers owe it to thrus to give them food just because they are thrus. I don't pretend to understand why they feel this way. :confused:

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2008, 12:21
...A few thrus over the years have been downright rude about it when I didn't give them some of our dinner or trail snacks. Some seem to think that section and day hikers owe it to thrus to give them food just because they are thrus. I don't pretend to understand why they feel this way. :confused:
That's not yogiing. That's why thru-hikers are seen as self-entitled a$$holes. I've also seen that behavior and because of that I can't blame townspeople for denying services to hikers. Maybe they should start putting signs up around all the towns:
"Dogs and Hikers not permitted on the lawns" or something like that.

A-Train
02-09-2008, 12:26
That's not yogiing. That's why thru-hikers are seen as self-entitled a$$holes. I've also seen that behavior and because of that I can't blame townspeople for denying services to hikers. Maybe they should start putting signs up around all the towns:
"Dogs and Hikers not permitted on the lawns" or something like that.

You're right I'm sure there are thru-hikers that act like idiots in town and loiter and don't tip and don't do the right thing. Just make sure you don't classify all in this light as there are plenty of good folks out there doing the right thing.

Gotta call people out when they act like an idiot in town or on the trail. Might benefit the hiker community.

That being said hikers add much financially to some of the small towns who have very little outsider economy.

doggiebag
02-09-2008, 12:44
You're right I'm sure there are thru-hikers that act like idiots in town and loiter and don't tip and don't do the right thing. Just make sure you don't classify all in this light as there are plenty of good folks out there doing the right thing.

Gotta call people out when they act like an idiot in town or on the trail. Might benefit the hiker community.

That being said hikers add much financially to some of the small towns who have very little outsider economy.
Agreed - the leeches need to get called out. Unfortunately you can have 90% of the hiking community doing the right thing carrying their weight and paying their way. It'll only take that 10% that can't feed themselves or who forget that a hike is a voluntary endeavor which includes self-depravation to ruin the non hiking public's view of backpackers. If someone invites you to sit down for a sandwich or a coke that's great. Tell some stories and make friends. When some actively plan on how to get free food - it's just sad. Sometimes families go out and picnic to get away from society and to bond by themselves. They don't need unwanted intrusions to their personal space. Let the weekenders offer their kindness - don't act or make up silly scenarios.

Blissful
02-09-2008, 12:54
There was one gentleman on the trail last year - Ranger and man, he got offered everything. Meals, lodging. He never asked, he just looked needy I guess. He was the number 1 yogier I think. Nice guy though.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2008, 13:40
He said "...ask to buy..." i know its a fine line what im trying to get across here. but lets say your the one in the winnebago. you see this dirty ass looking person approaching you. your going to say this guys coming over here to beg from us. even beggers offer money sometimes even if they dont have any money, so you'll feel for them.

River Runner
02-10-2008, 19:37
A good yogi will make the person feel like he's doing them a favor by getting rid of all those leftovers.

Almost There
02-10-2008, 20:18
A good yogi just makes people feel like they are helping a person in need, and btw long distance section hikers will yogi as well. Just don't usually get as much "stuff"!