PDA

View Full Version : Trash on the trial

Frog
01-05-2004, 09:30
Just got back from a hike out to the Abington gap shelter. I was sadden by the amount of trash around and under the shelter. Some one must have not liked there new Wal-mart tent and left in setup inside the shelter. Are we pigs or do we blame this kind of mess on the hunters that come threw. Even after filling up one trash bag we still had enough mess left to fill up around 3 more. Is this the same at most of the shelters. I know that i have only hiked in the southern parts of the trail and some or worse than others and some i havent seen any trash left behind and thats the way it should be.

Skeemer
01-05-2004, 10:40
Some are worse than others. My guess is some of the trail clubs do clean ups and we owe them a special thanks. Many hikers I hiked with would even pick up discarded or dropped trash along the Trail. Leaving large items like tents is uncalled for.

It bothered me in the book "A Walk In The Woods" how they made light of throwing things out along the Trail just to eliminate some weight...ever heard of "leave no trace?"

And, I could never understand why some thought it okay to throw trash in the fire pits...especially the stuff that doesn't burn. It's just simply lack of consideration and respect. Just like society in general, there are "good" hikers and "bad" hikers.

Grampie
01-06-2004, 15:37
During my 2001 thru I was suprised at how clean the trail was. Sure, I did see trash at shelters that were close to a road and I did see hikers, not thru-hikers throw cans and foil into the fire pit but generaly speaking almost all the thru-hikers I encountered packed out all their trash.
I once stopped at the overlook, before Duncannon and two thru-hikers were picking up all the cigerett butts and pieces of glass. I thought that that was a nice jester.
I think the trail is quite clean and as long as we thru-hikers pack our trash out it will remaine that way.
Grampie-N->2001

Peaks
01-06-2004, 16:58
The amount of trash along the trail seems to vary, depending on how vigilant people are. Some places are down right trashed. Many other places are very prestine. I'd say that we owe our thanks to the caretakers and ridge runners. I spoke with the couple that resides in the fire warden cabin on top of Stratton. They said that it takes constant work to keep up with it. If they let it go, trash just seems to multiply along the trail.

Fox
01-06-2004, 17:08
I spoke with the couple that resides in the fire warden cabin on top of Stratton. They said that it takes constant work to keep up with it. If they let it go, trash just seems to multiply along the trail.

First off, aren't those two the best? Every time I'm up there I look for them.

It doesn't suprise me that they have to be continuously policing that section...it's a freakin' highway in the warm weather months. More day hikers than anywhere else I've ever been (including the day trails in Yellowstone). IMO Day hikers, as a rule are pigs. They think nothing of tossing a gum wrapper or cigarette butt on the trail. I get especially irate when I see an adult do this in the presence of kids.

Peaks
01-07-2004, 09:50
First off, aren't those two the best? Every time I'm up there I look for them.

It doesn't suprise me that they have to be continuously policing that section...it's a freakin' highway in the warm weather months. More day hikers than anywhere else I've ever been (including the day trails in Yellowstone). IMO Day hikers, as a rule are pigs. They think nothing of tossing a gum wrapper or cigarette butt on the trail. I get especially irate when I see an adult do this in the presence of kids.

You are absolutely right. In general, thru-hikers are very responsible about "Leave no trace." It's the day hikers and weekenders that seem to not be a vigilant. So, I think that it's up to us thru-hikers to try to educate others to do things differently. And that sometimes includes picking up their wrappers and butts.

Jaybird
01-07-2004, 10:11
first of all...my hats off to the many clubs & organizations that "caretake" their part of the trail(s). ALso to all the hikers that adhere to LNT values.

I've seen, & also practice, many hikers pick up a hand-full or in some cases, a trash bag full of trash as they walk along the trail...

this is a good habit to get into.

in my short distance i have on the A.T....i've noticed the most trash i see is usually close to road crossings & camping/picnic areas.

hunters might be contributing...but, lets not blame others....lets take responsibility. Pick up a can or two, or a couple pieces of discarded paper & drop 'em in the next trash recepticle!

see ya'll UP da trail in 2004! ;)

insideragp
01-07-2004, 10:14
As section hikers, my wife and I pick up anything we see since we are carrying alot less and also stop to move whatever blowdown timber we can safely move off the trail. If it's wet and there is running water on the trail, we will move leaves etc to try and divert water off the actual trail to reduce erosion. But that's cause we can afford the time etc. cause of short distances.

IMO, people are generally pigs today as manners and respect have fallen out of the lesson plans in schools and the demise of the family. The more people hike the more respect they seem to show for the trail. Trick here is to move people from one group to the other.

Possible solution would be some signage in shelters and at popular day hike areas (look to ATC for some design maybe). I'd be willing to donate money to such an effort. Also, give the Rangers a big enforcement stick. Maybe $1,000 fines and 300 hours of community service doing trail maintenance and cleaning per occurence. I know the chance of a ranger catching somebody is pretty slim but if the fines go directly to the rangers budgets - could be like small towns that set up 25 mph zones as their main source of revenue. Rangers in heavy day hike areas could spend some time on trash watch.

Any ideas on what to do to stop it instead of picking it up ourselves? Trail maintainers have enough to do just to maintain the trail. Thru hikers are carrying enough weight. How about caning?

weary
01-07-2004, 13:04
The amount of trash along the trail seems to vary, depending on how vigilant people are. Some places are down right trashed. Many other places are very prestine. I'd say that we owe our thanks to the caretakers and ridge runners. I spoke with the couple that resides in the fire warden cabin on top of Stratton. They said that it takes constant work to keep up with it. If they let it go, trash just seems to multiply along the trail.

My title says it all. Based on seven years as a trail Overseer and 20+ years as a maintainer, I know that once trash starts to accumulate, it multiplies rapidly. I guess the feeling is "a little more won't hurt." If you want clean shelters and trails practice Carry Out. Not just your trash, but all trash.

Having said this, the trails themselves strike me as remarkably clean. It's the shelters and camping places where problems abound. My rule -- and the official rule of ATC as I understand it -- is to leave nothing in or around the shelters. A lot of people leave unwanted gear, food, books, plastic sheeting, and what not in the shelters, and scrap paper and food in the fire places on the theory that maybe the next hiker can use it or burn it. Wet, soggy food doesn't burn. It just stinks.

Even potentially useful left stuff only rarely is ever used. Most stuff left in shelters on the pretext of being helpful eventually has to be packed out by a maintainer -- and often in pieces after animals have broken food packs and nested in left behind clothing.

Trails and shelters are much cleaner now than in the 60s and early 70s, when every shelter had its can dump next to the fireplace. So there is some hope for society.

But I sense also that we have gone backwards in recent years. I like to blame the switch from the "Carry In, Carry Out" message to "Leave No Trace."

Hikers capable of observing know that leaving no trace is an impossibility in this era of over-used trails, scarce camping sites, lug-soled boots and pointed hiking sticks. The LNT message becomes for most just meaningless chatter that passes in and out unheeded and uncomprehended.

Weary

Skeemer
01-09-2004, 11:06
Originally posted by weary

Hikers capable of observing know that leaving no trace is an impossibility in this era of over-used trails

I agree with weary...I could never understand how someone really expected a hiker to "leave no trace" unless they thought he/she should walk on air. I have to believe they were referring to wrappers, trash, junk, gear, bibles (whoops!) etc. I like the "pack it in pack it out."

How about the so called "widening of the Trail." I never thought it was a big deal if an 8 inch path became 12 inches or even a 3 foot path became 4 feet. The path is already there and no way is it going to turn into a 4 lane highway. It's there to be walked on isn't it? You're supposed to camp out now and then...right?

cabalot
01-09-2004, 22:27
Any ideas on what to do to stop it instead of picking it up ourselves? Trail maintainers have enough to do just to maintain the trail. Thru hikers are carrying enough weight. How about caning?

caning would be effective. rangers could administer canings to litter bugs by beating them with trecking poles in front of people at shelters and trailheads. :datz

steve hiker
01-09-2004, 23:11
hey quit makin funna me