PDA

View Full Version : What a rip......................

wrongway_08
02-06-2008, 20:21
So I am flipping through the new issue of Back Packer Magizine and on page 73, under tent description section, they have the new Tarptent Sublight mentioned ......... weight is 1 pound. :)

I then went to find a photo of this new tent and nothing is out yet. Read through a few other forums and no one can find anything.

What a rip.... if you dont have it ready to at least look at and it appears it is not going to be ready for a good while..... it shouldnt be in the Mags yet.

Kinda like MSR and that new Hyperflow filter but at least they have a photo and description to drool over.

A little info would be nice, does it have a floor? Is it like a down sized Contrail, even a drawing would be nice........but TarpTent gives us nothing..... :mad:

Dances with Mice
02-06-2008, 20:22
Is this tent being made by Microsoft?

AlwaysHiking
02-06-2008, 20:25

If so, then I wouldn't want the first release anyhow! :p

rafe
02-06-2008, 20:30
I'd like to see a down-sized Rainbow. You could shrink the dimensions by 20% or so and still have a usable solo backpacking tent. That would get the weight down to under 1.5 lbs. (Surface area goes as the square of the linear dimensions.)

wrongway_08
02-06-2008, 20:34
I would like to see a downsized Contrail, that is a big one-person tent......... in fact my Contrail has enough room for myself/dog/both my and dogs pack/sleeping gear for both.

Bob S
02-06-2008, 23:18
What a rip.... if you dont have it ready to at least look at and it appears it is not going to be ready for a good while..... it shouldnt be in the Mags yet.

Kinda like MSR and that new Hyperflow filter but at least they have a photo and description to drool over.

They want to hit the ground running, from the first moment of release of the product, they want high sales. So they hype the items in the magazines. And Backpacker has to put out magazines every 30-days so they jump at the chance to have anything in the magazine to fill it up. It kinda lowers Backpackers creditability when they do this. But most magazines in most industries do this. That’s one of the reasons why many of us don’t buy backpacker any more. I would rather wait till an items release to the public and read on-line reviews of people that have actually used production models of an item.

Not some special run made for a magazine! :mad:

Appalachian Tater
02-06-2008, 23:20
I would imagine that any Henry Shires Tarptent will be state-of-the-art but I doubt that this new model will approach the beauty of his Rainbow model.

gearfreak
02-07-2008, 09:28
Quote from Henry Shires regarding Sublight on Backpackinglight.com forum dated 1/25/08:

"Don't wait up, it will be a while yet. Too much production in the hopper ahead of it.

-H"

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2008, 09:47
They want to hit the ground running, from the first moment of release of the product, they want high sales. So they hype the items in the magazines. And Backpacker has to put out magazines every 30-days so they jump at the chance to have anything in the magazine to fill it up. It kinda lowers Backpackers creditability when they do this. But most magazines in most industries do this. That’s one of the reasons why many of us don’t buy backpacker any more. I would rather wait till an items release to the public and read on-line reviews of people that have actually used production models of an item.

Not some special run made for a magazine! :mad:

I've been searching high and low for a lightweight but cushy sleeping pad. So what do I see in the new Backpacker Gear Guide? A fabulous new Big Agnes, the Clearview, 2 1/2", inflatable, and only 11 oz in the 20 x 60" size (perfect for me). After whooping for joy and getting all excited I started searching for it on the 'net. It's nowhere to be found. Big Agnes says it should be out by March 15th...but what if it's not??? I need it absolutely no later than March 28th. And of course there's the Hyperflow - I desperately want that as well but of course it's nowhere in sight. :(

Roots
02-07-2008, 09:57
I've been searching high and low for a lightweight but cushy sleeping pad. So what do I see in the new Backpacker Gear Guide? A fabulous new Big Agnes, the Clearview, 2 1/2", inflatable, and only 11 oz in the 20 x 60" size (perfect for me). After whooping for joy and getting all excited I started searching for it on the 'net. It's nowhere to be found. Big Agnes says it should be out by March 15th...but what if it's not??? I need it absolutely no later than March 28th. And of course there's the Hyperflow - I desperately want that as well but of course it's nowhere in sight. :(

I know what you mean! I have been eyeing that hyperflow since I first heard about it. I love my Steri, but the hyperflow would be more apt for Gungho and I and especially if my daughter does some backpacking with us this year. BUT... always a but... I have learned that it is better to give new gear a couple months of being on the market so you can compare the reviews about it. I sure wish I had some of my money back for the gear I've bought thinking it was superb and ended up being a dud.:)

NICKTHEGREEK
02-07-2008, 10:01
So I am flipping through the new issue of Back Packer Magizine and on page 73, under tent description section, they have the new Tarptent Sublight mentioned ......... weight is 1 pound. :)

I then went to find a photo of this new tent and nothing is out yet. Read through a few other forums and no one can find anything.

A little info would be nice, does it have a floor? Is it like a down sized Contrail, even a drawing would be nice........but TarpTent gives us nothing..... :mad:

Backpacker doesn't make this stuff up (not to say it doesn't make some stuff up) Tarptent had to give it to them when they surveyed the usual suspects for gear guide inputs.

Heater
02-07-2008, 11:15

No. You are thinking of the downsized version on the Contrail soon to be named Vaportrail.

Rcarver
02-07-2008, 11:18
I called taptent asking about the tent. Henry said it was a smaller version of the contrail. Has anyone found that the flat section at the foot section of the contrail gathers water on it?

bigcranky
02-07-2008, 11:38
Henry answered this question in another forum. I will try to summarize, from my (not necessarily perfect) memory. He said that the magazine's deadline for "new products" submissions was last September. At that time, it looked like this should make it into production, but now other things have gotten in the way. Don't forget that this is a small "cottage industry" gear maker, not The North Face.

rafe
02-07-2008, 11:52
I called taptent asking about the tent. Henry said it was a smaller version of the contrail. Has anyone found that the flat section at the foot section of the contrail gathers water on it?

Not with the Contrail, but with a tent from another manufacturer with a similar design (specifically, Eureka Spitfire UL.) It's possible that Henry's design somehow avoids the problem, I dunno. It's the main reason I went with the Rainbow instead of the Contrail.

envirodiver
02-07-2008, 12:07
Yeah I'm also interested in the Hyperflow. I asked my store manager the other day if he had heard anything about a release date on it. His reply was that it's pretty typical for MSR to release a new product late and with limited availabilty in the initial release.

I think it's pretty common whether it's cars or tents that magazines evelaute and print reviews of things prior to release to the public.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 13:15
Did they say how big this new tent was going to be?

wrongway_08
02-07-2008, 15:54
I couldnt get any details, I love the Contrail but if this is a smaller version of it.... I would order it in to save weight (7 oz) and volume in my pack for the thru-hike.

Rcarver
02-07-2008, 16:37
When i called Henry last week, he told me it was going to be a smaller version of the contrail.

wrongway_08
02-07-2008, 17:25
:) - Now he needs to get it out and to my house in the next 20 days!

doggiebag
02-07-2008, 17:42
I couldnt get any details, I love the Contrail but if this is a smaller version of it.... I would order it in to save weight (7 oz) and volume in my pack for the thru-hike.
That's great! It ought to provide you with some great weight reduction to make room for your that piece of gear (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?trailname=6537)you keep bleating about.

wrongway_08
02-07-2008, 17:56
Thats great......... I see the sheep is still sitting on your bed....:eek:.......:D

Oh yea, this is what I just recieved..... this sucks....:mad:

Hi Rick,

Glad you like the Contrail. Unfortunately, your departure date is too soon
for the Sublight. We're still a few months out for that model and there are
two other new models ahead of it yet.

Hope you have a great walk!

Henry Shires

Tarptent
12213 Koswyn Ct.
Nevada City, CA 95959 USA
ph: 650-587-1548
fax: 801-459-9526
e-mail: [email protected]
web: http://www.tarptent.com

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 02:41
hmmmmmmm I wonder what these two other models are...