PDA

View Full Version : Our Mail Drop listing in 2007

Blissful
02-06-2008, 21:52
For those who are planning mostly mail drops for a long distance AT hike, check out my hiking blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com) to see how we did ours in 2007. I just put up a list of the hostels, places, POs etc we used.

Note: This is for those interested in using Mail Drops. It is not meant to foster a debate as to whether you should mail or buy, or the pros or cons. We chose to do both on our hike and were successful (except when the PO lost our boxes in Maine after they were sent surface. Lesson learned - mail boxes Priority).

And, yes, you can mail fuel canisters. However, they must go surface and with a sticker on the outside box that shows the symbol for "no airline". We did this successfully several times.

ZEKE #2
02-07-2008, 21:52
Blissful,
Nice list. Is there a way to get a printable copy of your list?

Thanks

Nest
02-07-2008, 23:03
Thanks for posting this. I will be mailing my dog's food on the trail, and was unsure of where to send them. I can use this as a guide to help me out. Did you find that any of the mail drops you sent were more hassel than thet were worth. In other words, any drop you did that you wouldn't do next time?

ARambler
02-07-2008, 23:05
This is a very big list. I don't think anyone will use them all, but it deserves more hits.

After Daleville, you missed some groceries or PO.
I used:
Dutch Haus B&B
Waynesboro
SNP Waysides to avoid Front Royal.
Bears Den Hostel
Harpers Ferry.

Also, used Ft Montgomery after Unionville/Vernon.

Most who go to Hiawasee hitch from Dicks gag, not Unicoi.
Rambler

Blissful
02-08-2008, 14:56
Blissful,
Nice list. Is there a way to get a printable copy of your list?

Thanks

Wow I'm not that computer savvy. Maybe copy and paste from off the blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com) onto a word document or the like? I tried it and it did work. And insert ARamber's excellent suggestions ( Thanks, BTW! We went slacking and did weekends with no need for resupply during that part of VA)

Blissful
02-08-2008, 15:05
Thanks for posting this. I will be mailing my dog's food on the trail, and was unsure of where to send them. I can use this as a guide to help me out. Did you find that any of the mail drops you sent were more hassel than thet were worth. In other words, any drop you did that you wouldn't do next time?

The only hassle at times were weekend arrivals at the PO but that was very rare (there were a few times we did adjust - got in on a Sunday to town and then picked up our drop Monday AM which was no problem). With so many hostels, motels, outfitters, etc accepting drops, it also helps your schedule. I hated paying $5 at Relax Inn near Atkins VA for a drop, but I needed to do it. All the other drops worked out good for us, except when we sent boxes surface and they did not arrive in Maine. A major hassle. Though after surveying some grocery store options en route, there are places I might shop more and send less food to myself (I tried to point out the places you could shop and had good variety). But many times I had to send meds so it required a small drop anyway.

Blissful
02-08-2008, 15:11
Most who go to Hiawasee hitch from Dicks gag, not Unicoi.
Rambler

Right. We only went into Unicoi because my hubby had the van. But Hiawasee Inn will shuttle from either gap.

Also, I didn't mention Gatlinburg at Newfound Gap in the Smokies. You could hitch there for supplies, etc. - my guide says Smoky Mtn outfitters holds drops and maybe the other outfitter will too. A long hitch in, but many hikers seem to do it with no problems (the parking lot has tons of visitors). One hitched to and fro to bring my son a hamburger from McDonalds.

Blissful
02-08-2008, 15:14
One other thing - be sure to have a valid ID to pick up your drops. POs must have an ID (ex: driver's license) and some hostels, outfitters as well require them (the outfitter at NOC required one)

ZEKE #2
02-08-2008, 16:41
Wow I'm not that computer savvy. Maybe copy and paste from off the blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com) onto a word document or the like? I tried it and it did work. And insert ARamber's excellent suggestions ( Thanks, BTW! We went slacking and did weekends with no need for resupply during that part of VA)

Thanks, for some reason I couldn't copy and paste from home, but I was sucessful on another computer.

Thanks again for the great information, I'm anxious to compare it to mine.

chaosanth
02-09-2008, 16:32
Can you send fuel cannister surface only with other items, such as food, etc.? Or must fuel be sent surface only by itself?

Thanks,

Adam

Lone Wolf
02-09-2008, 16:33
you may send it with other stuff

chaosanth
02-09-2008, 17:36
Thanks for the quick answer Lone Wolf!

nightshaded
02-15-2008, 17:18
And, yes, you can mail fuel canisters. However, they must go surface and with a sticker on the outside box that shows the symbol for "no airline". We did this successfully several times.

so does this mean that you can mail fuel in priority mail boxes?
do you know how much shipping surface takes as opposed to airline? is there a significant lag time there?

also, do you know if blueberry patch hostel is still open? i'd heard that they had closed, and want to figure out an alternate hiawasee drop point, if that's the case.
appreciate it.

bone lady

Blissful
02-15-2008, 19:54
so does this mean that you can mail fuel in priority mail boxes?
do you know how much shipping surface takes as opposed to airline? is there a significant lag time there?

also, do you know if blueberry patch hostel is still open? i'd heard that they had closed, and want to figure out an alternate hiawasee drop point, if that's the case.
appreciate it.

bone lady

You need to mail fuel surface (not priority mail which goes in the air) with the "no airline" sticker that POs have. Give yourself at least two weeks lag time with it to make sure it gets there if you live on the east coast. More time for farther away. More time is safer. It can sit at the PO or hostel.

If B.P. is closed (I hadn't heard myself), another alternative is Cloud Nine Hostel (http://www.upperhightowertrout.com/hikers.html)which accepts mail drops (we stayed there. Laura is very helpful)

nightshaded
02-15-2008, 21:46
you're the second person who's mentioned cloud nine, so if i can't get ahold of the poteats this weekend, i think i will look into that.
appreciate the info.
bone lady

TrippinBTM
02-20-2008, 13:31
Was looking through your blog:

Caratunk - We stayed at Northern Outdoors resort since Steve the Ferryman is closing up shop. Not sure where you can get supplies with his store closed. Check with the NO staff.

is this for real? There didn't seem to be much else around there in the way of supplies, from what I've been reading. Anyone got info on this?

Blissful
02-20-2008, 15:32
You might consider a small mail drop to the PO in Caratunk or Northern Outdoors, if they will accept it. But Monson is not too far away - two days. Get the pancake breakfast at Harrison Camp before you cross the river to keep you going.

Footslogger
02-20-2008, 15:42
You might consider a small mail drop to the PO in Caratunk or Northern Outdoors, if they will accept it. But Monson is not too far away - two days. Get the pancake breakfast at Harrison Camp before you cross the river to keep you going.

===================================

Unless you have interest in a little side trip/hitch I would agree that the PO in Caratunk is the best. Little walk down the street (that you have to backtrack on to get to the AT) but otherwise convenient. Perfect place to grab your last 3 - 4 days of food to get you to Monson.

Also ...couldn't agree more about the pancakes at Fish Camp. Didn't have the time or presence of mind to make that stop during my 2003 thru but the wife and I stopped there in 2007 when we were sectioning Rangeley to Monson and ...WOW, is all I can say. Well worth the short side trail hike.

'Slogger

Peanut
02-22-2008, 09:55
How much time should I give the box to get to its destination? ie. If I think I'll be at Fontana Dam on say April 1, when should I have my support mail the box, do you think? Of course, I'd rather send it too early...I've heard they'll hold it for a 3-4 weeks?

Lone Wolf
02-22-2008, 09:57
2 weeks before

Peanut
02-22-2008, 09:58
Thanks!!

Blissful
02-22-2008, 11:07
How much time should I give the box to get to its destination? ie. If I think I'll be at Fontana Dam on say April 1, when should I have my support mail the box, do you think? Of course, I'd rather send it too early...I've heard they'll hold it for a 3-4 weeks?

POs hold for a long time. Be sure to put on the box - hold for AT hiker and the rough date for your arrival. Our box in Cheshire, MA stayed a month at the PO, but we did call ahead to tell them we would be late (good to call, that is, if you are running super late. I was because of an injury)

Also - 2 weeks at least if you are sending surface (also fuel). If sending priority, it will take less time. Also, any unopened priority mail can be forwarded for free.