PDA

View Full Version : best places for dumpster diving

sloopjonboswell
02-06-2008, 22:59
i think the new england states probably have the best dumpsters to sift through. dunkin doughnuts was probably the best dumpster score i saw in 07, lincoln i believe it was. terrible pickings in waynesboro, va...anybody else?:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-06-2008, 23:31
Not sure the question is "best places?", but "why?"

Bob S
02-06-2008, 23:48
When I was a kid 7 or 8 years old in the 60s a friend and I did this.

But now?????

And I’m sure it’s frowned upon by the stores and police.

There is enough reasons for town folk to not like thru-hikers, why add to the list?

warraghiyagey
02-06-2008, 23:51
And the 'Excellent Point of the Day Award' goes to . . .

There is enough reasons for town folk to not like thru-hikers, why add to the list?

sloopjonboswell
02-06-2008, 23:52
shoulda seen that bag of doughnuts.

STEVEM
02-06-2008, 23:56
http://gridskipper.com/travel/new-york/manhattan-dumpster-diving-271210.php

sloopjonboswell
02-07-2008, 00:03
nice article. its good to share the booty too. i remember a fine meal of nearly fresh vegetables- onions, zuke, squash, nearly fresh fungi, sauteed to perfection somewhere in the middle of the shens.

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 00:05
http://gridskipper.com/travel/new-york/manhattan-dumpster-diving-271210.php
You don't even have to dumpster-dive in Manhattan, stuff is sitting out on the sidewalk for the taking. I am trying to think of someone I know well enough to have been in their apartment who DOESN'T have something found on the street and cannot.

In any town with a college or university, there are great pickings at the end of the school year. The furniture may not be of the highest quality but you can get everything from microwaves, TVs, desk lamps, mini-refrigerators, to all kinds of kitchen stuff, etc. Most of the stuff is only 9 months old.

Bob S
02-07-2008, 00:14
You don't even have to dumpster-dive in Manhattan, stuff is sitting out on the sidewalk for the taking. I am trying to think of someone I know well enough to have been in their apartment who DOESN'T have something found on the street and cannot.

In any town with a college or university, there are great pickings at the end of the school year. The furniture may not be of the highest quality but you can get everything from microwaves, TVs, desk lamps, mini-refrigerators, to all kinds of kitchen stuff, etc. Most of the stuff is only 9 months old.

I have my own carpet cleaning co. I use to clean the dorms at Bowling Green State University after the kids moved out for the semester. They would leave all kinds of good things behind. The management said we were allowed to take them if we wanted, but this is a lot different then digging into a dumpster in a town you are walking through.

sloopjonboswell
02-07-2008, 00:26
yes, ok, this is frowned upon. hikers with big bankrolls, whatever you do, dont go looking for any free food when your in town. the idea is that no one sees you... and you get free food. (anti capitalist rhetoric aside) the good nature and camraderie that a good dumpster meal creates is wonderful. so what if i pluck a bag of ruffles thats sitting on top of an oversided trashcan? i wouldnt have thought of it when i had plenty of cash the first 700 miles.

warraghiyagey
02-07-2008, 01:34
Well, it's not like I haven't been VERRRRRRY liberal with the 5 second rule in my life. And my sweet tooth has definitely pulled a dessert cake or two from the garbage . . . with my other senses on high alert that no one saw me.:p:)

fiddlehead
02-07-2008, 04:11
Once i was eating at the Bellagio in Vegas at their buffet.
I noticed a woman (employee) throwing all of the pastries in a certain section into a garbage can. I went and asked her what she was doing.
She said "they've been out here longer than 20 minutes, it's time to throw them away"
I said: "what about the homeless people, why don't you feed them to them?"
She said: "the homeless people eat good in this town.

Mountain Dew
02-07-2008, 04:48
I know a contra dancer that surely knows the answer to this question.... :banana

Pokey2006
02-07-2008, 05:11
I do some cater-waitering on the side, and you should see the stuff that gets thrown out at the end of the night! Entire trash barrels filled with fancy, high-end food. Of course, it gets thrown out only after the waitstaff pigs out, meaning you're not likely to find any filet mignon or prime rib in the dumpster.

Apparently there are state health laws prohibiting any food from leaving the premises as other than trash -- meaning we can't take any home, and none of it can be donated to a homeless shelter or anything.

napster
02-07-2008, 05:26
i think the new england states probably have the best dumpsters to sift through. dunkin doughnuts was probably the best dumpster score i saw in 07, lincoln i believe it was. terrible pickings in waynesboro, va...anybody else?:banana

I tend to disagree.From what I read of Eric rud-olfs bio he lived close to the AT for 5 years on dumpster/cylo diving.

Blue Jay
02-07-2008, 12:03

I would have to say Kent, CT. Hanover is also good, any rich college town. Bob why are you posting on this thread, its no where near depressing enugh for you? However, it's a free country and I know dumpsters must depress you.

spittinpigeon
02-07-2008, 12:08
Surprisingly, Taco Bell provided good diving. And speaking of Kent, when I was there in the early fall of 06, there was a bearded guy on a bike towing a cart and he had a dog. Kinda strange, kinda sane guy into the 911 truth movement, anyone meet him? Anyway, this was around the time of the E-coli (was it E-coli?) in the spinach, he found tons of spinach and other food behind the Grocery store.

Green Bean
02-07-2008, 12:38
This subject was accually in the paper the other day worded "FREEGANS", the name given to dumpster divers, which i thought was pretty interesting because a buddy in class looked back and was like were freegans man. I really dont dumpster dive anymore which some consider a good thing but for real like i would go to the local grocery store about once a month and just fill army duffle bags full of food that expired that day or a day or two ta come, and would take it home and have quantities of food for backpacking trips and things.
I mean that was just the local grocery store throwing boxes upon boxes of food out that havent even been put on the shelves to be seen by the public it just printed on the box that contents expire by such and such date so they throw it out. imagine all the grocery stores that do that and then all the people that are starving in this country and around the world. ridiculous ~GB

Mags
02-07-2008, 12:44
As has been mentioned, any college town will have goodies on the curb, never mind a dumpster.

At CU, the average student comes from a well-to-do-family. The stuff they get rid off are often high quality. The local thrift stores sometimes have great scores for that reason as well.

the goat
02-07-2008, 12:45
all the people that are starving in this country and around the world. ridiculous ~GB

if someone is starving in the usa, they are a moron.

elsewhere though, i agree w/ your sentiment.

hobojoe
02-07-2008, 12:51
I have actualy had some good scores at food lions in NC. Wouldn't touch the meat though. Too bad there is no trader joe's on the trail. We have got one in chapel hill, NC. The dumpster is set aside with multiple parking spaces, and the good food is bagged seperately. Got like 30 of those 3$ juices. To Co-op Never ate so good, UNREAL.
Leave no trail

A-Train
02-07-2008, 12:55
if someone is starving in the usa, they are a moron.

elsewhere though, i agree w/ your sentiment.

Have you ever had to rely SOLELY on eating out of dumpsters and getting free handouts or are you just making an observation that dumpster food seems to be accessible?

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 12:59
Surprisingly, Taco Bell provided good diving.

GIGO, as they say.

Blue Jay
02-07-2008, 13:19
Have you ever had to rely SOLELY on eating out of dumpsters and getting free handouts or are you just making an observation that dumpster food seems to be accessible?

Clearly he's never had to dumpster dive at all.

the goat
02-07-2008, 13:23

i'm making an observation that you have to be a moron to starve in the united states . . . for a host of reasons, not the least of which are: soup kitchens, welfare, pan-handling, dumpster diving, food banks, homeless shelters, etc.

ever been to washington dc? our homeless people are obese.

the goat
02-07-2008, 13:27
Clearly he's never had to dumpster dive at all.

clearly i work for a living.

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 13:31
Studies in the U.S. have shown that poor people are more obese than people who aren't poor. Without going into cause and effect, poor people as a whole eat different food than people who are not poor. Their diet is less healthy. The poor have higher rates of diseases that are related to diet.

the goat
02-07-2008, 13:32
Studies in the U.S. have shown that poor people are more obese than people who aren't poor. Without going into cause and affect, poor people as a whole eat different food than people who are not poor do. They are less healthy.
agreed.

Blue Jay
02-07-2008, 15:09
clearly i work for a living.

Very glad to see you twice admit to not knowing what you are talking about.

A-Train
02-07-2008, 15:35
i'm making an observation that you have to be a moron to starve in the united states . . . for a host of reasons, not the least of which are: soup kitchens, welfare, pan-handling, dumpster diving, food banks, homeless shelters, etc.

True there are lots of possibilities out there, but that's kinda like telling an unemployed person there are thousands of paying jobs out there..Many just aren't attainable or the person doesn't have the means to obtain one.

My point was simply that you're looking at that situation as a (assuming) middle class working person who doesn't HAVE to rely on free food/handouts/begging, etc. It may seem like there are lots out there but you've got the fallback of money to keep you fed. Someone who doesn't have all their mental faculties for whatever reason may not be able to use the available resources to stay fed, but I don't think that makes them a moron.

the goat
02-07-2008, 15:44

i've yanked stuff out of dumpsters many times, but not any food that i can remember.

however, my dumpster-diving credentials have nothing to do with the fact that you have to me a moron to starve in the usa.

hell, even morons don't always starve here, at least not in east poestenkill, ny.

wrongway_08
02-07-2008, 15:49
One of my first jobs was at Roy Rogers fast foods. We had to throw away any food left over at the end of the night..... what a waste. So I would take what was left and put it in a large container, usually about 20 - 40 pieces of chicken, a few hamburges, lots of fries and turn overs......

Would place it inside the fence that they had around the dumpster (so the owner thought I toosed it) and leave it there for a few of the homeless guys that lived down the street..... kept them fed pretty good.

Blue Jay
02-07-2008, 16:13
i've yanked stuff out of dumpsters many times, but not any food that i can remember.

however, my dumpster-diving credentials have nothing to do with the fact that you have to me a moron to starve in the usa.

hell, even morons don't always starve here, at least not in east poestenkill, ny.

I may be a moron but at least I limit my mouth to things I know at least something about. At least morons often know they are morons. Your mouth moves and only BS comes out. Plenty of decent people go hungry in the US for various reasons. You not only know nothing but also have no idea about what you do not know. It makes me wonder what other topics you have unknowingly blathered on about.

doggiebag
02-07-2008, 16:26
Whenever this years batch of hikers gets snubbed or treated with distaste while doing errands or resupply in a trail town - this thread should come to mind.

Johnny Thunder
02-07-2008, 16:26
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It doesn't take much to know that they give you a warm bed and a square meal in the round house.

Also, your membership on an internet forum and the countless hours it takes to post 2600 times tells me that (at least in the last 8 years) you know nothing about this either.

But, since we recently had a "I was more impoverished than you" pissing match maybe it's time you showed your stripes, Blue Jay.

warraghiyagey
02-07-2008, 16:29
One of my first jobs was at Roy Rogers fast foods. We had to throw away any food left over at the end of the night..... what a waste. So I would take what was left and put it in a large container, usually about 20 - 40 pieces of chicken, a few hamburges, lots of fries and turn overs......

Would place it inside the fence that they had around the dumpster (so the owner thought I toosed it) and leave it there for a few of the homeless guys that lived down the street..... kept them fed pretty good.
Good stuff.:sun:sun

Tin Man
02-07-2008, 17:02
Rather than diving in the dumpster, try asking at the back door. Tell them you are raising money for a charity (don't need to tell them you are the charity). Some locations will give you their discards. We did this at a local franchise and resold day old food at various local school and sporting events to raise money for kids baseball. Alternatively, you may actually consider working so you can pay at the front door. Just a thought.

wrongway_08
02-07-2008, 17:19
Whenever this years batch of hikers gets snubbed or treated with distaste while doing errands or resupply in a trail town - this thread should come to mind.

This comming from a man who is named after leftovers......... Doggiebag......:D:p:p

doggiebag
02-07-2008, 17:27
This comming from a man who is named after leftovers......... Doggiebag......:D:p:p
:D:D Ha ha ... that was good Spanky!

the goat
02-07-2008, 18:17
I may be a moron but at least I limit my mouth to things I know at least something about. At least morons often know they are morons. Your mouth moves and only BS comes out. Plenty of decent people go hungry in the US for various reasons. You not only know nothing but also have no idea about what you do not know. It makes me wonder what other topics you have unknowingly blathered on about.

very glad to see you twice admit to being a moron. as long as you're "limiting your mouth" you'd do yourself well to limit it in your assessment of me, as you know nothing of me.

so tell us all a/b your dumpster-diving/ homeless days, blue jay, you must be an expert right?

Johnny Thunder
02-07-2008, 18:30
Wait Wait Wait...Goat, I'll go one step further.

With the preponderance of available sources you'd need to make a concerted effort to outright starve in the US. Or, be handicapped mentally or physically to the point where you are:

a. unaware of your own physical needs

or

b. unable to move to one of the litany of available food sources

(or, you could be stranded in the desert or snowed in or something but that's not really what we're talking about here, right?)

Blue Jay claims to be a moron and (based on his WB activity) has yet to starve so I think you've got it wrong, Goat.

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2008, 18:44
I have read this thread twice trying to figure out exactly what the argument is about. Can't do it.

Anyway, there are few people starving in the U.S. but there are plenty of people who are malnourished, some for lack of food. Plenty of children and elderly people. Lots of people living in southern states especially where social welfare benefits are not so generous run out of food for their children all the time. A lot of school districts feed the kids breakfast as well as lunch because the kids come to school hungry. It's real and I've seen with my own eyes.

sloopjonboswell
02-07-2008, 20:18
Rather than diving in the dumpster, try asking at the back door. Tell them you are raising money for a charity (don't need to tell them you are the charity). Some locations will give you their discards. We did this at a local franchise and resold day old food at various local school and sporting events to raise money for kids baseball. Alternatively, you may actually consider working so you can pay at the front door. Just a thought.

yeah, now this is more of what i was thinking. most of the time, they wont even let you do any work. top spots should surely include grocery stores.

katagious
02-08-2008, 00:03
Very commendable. One man's garbage is another mans gold.
Dumpster diving...waste not want not.... :)

surefoot
02-08-2008, 05:53
Maybe I've never been hungry enough, but I'll be damned if I am going to eat anything out of a dumpster.

Toolshed
02-08-2008, 07:17
Hmmm. Dumpster Diving????? Maybe I need to start rubbing elbows with a higher class of hikertrash.......:D

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 11:25

Dog hikers leave a worse trail, in town and out. You really need to stay out of this one.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 11:27
very glad to see you twice admit to being a moron.

Wow, you can't even count to 2.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 11:50
you'd do yourself well to limit it in your assessment of me, as you know nothing of me.

so tell us all a/b your dumpster-diving/ homeless days, blue jay, you must be an expert right?

I'll give you an example GOAT. Recently a honorably discharged vet who served in Iraq starved to death. You can blame it on alcohol, you can blame it on drugs, you can blame it on aid cuts. You CANNOT blaim it on his being a moron. Look it up, there have been others. Deaths from suicide, accidents and yes even starvation are way up even over Nam. You are exactly correct about one thing, I know nothing about you. Frankly I sincerely wish I did not know you ever existed at all.

the goat
02-08-2008, 11:59
Blue Jay claims to be a moron and (based on his WB activity) has yet to starve so I think you've got it wrong, Goat.

for the record: i did make an exception when it came to East Poestenkill, NY.:D

the goat
02-08-2008, 12:06
I'll give you an example GOAT. Recently a honorably discharged vet who served in Iraq starved to death. You can blame it on alcohol, you can blame it on drugs, you can blame it on aid cuts. You CANNOT blaim it on his being a moron. Look it up, there have been others. Deaths from suicide, accidents and yes even starvation are way up even over Nam. You are exactly correct about one thing, I know nothing about you. Frankly I sincerely wish I did not know you ever existed at all.

"there once was this guy who did this" hardly proves a point. an article or something would be nice. usually when one provides an example of something, it is specific. rather than me "look it up", if you know of an instance; give me something to read.

btw, no need to bring up suicide, accidents, drugs or alcohol as these have nothing to do with discussion at hand.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 12:21
"there once was this guy who did this" hardly proves a point. an article or something would be nice. usually when one provides an example of something, it is specific. rather than me "look it up", if you know of an instance; give me something to read.

btw, no need to bring up suicide, accidents, drugs or alcohol as these have nothing to do with discussion at hand.

It must be fun to play chess with you as you telegraph every stupid move. His name was Carl he died in January 2008 in Schenectady NY. Last year three girls set him on fire in Albany NY. Now give me an example of a moron who died of starvation.

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 12:33
Dog hikers leave a worse trail, in town and out. You really need to stay out of this one.
This is not about dogs on the trail. It's about the treatment your fellow hikers may recieve in town based on the fallout of previous hikers behavior. If someone has to resort to scavenging in dumpsters for food - they probably shouldn't be on the trail. In light of recent events hikers should be more cognizant of how they behave in town.

the goat
02-08-2008, 12:39
It must be fun to play chess with you as you telegraph every stupid move. His name was Carl he died in January 2008 in Schenectady NY. Last year three girls set him on fire in Albany NY. Now give me an example of a moron who died of starvation.

"there once was this guy named carl who did this" doesn't prove a point either. please, a story such as this must have had at least one article written a/b it, right?

p.s. you wouldn't stand a chance against me in chess.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 12:48
"there once was this guy named carl who did this" doesn't prove a point either. please, a story such as this must have had at least one article written a/b it, right?

p.s. you wouldn't stand a chance against me in chess.

itsyourturn.com anytime although I'm sure you're a pathetic pawn pusher. Lets try Extinction Chess or what ever you know the moves for. Now I'll try to explain this so you can understand. This is the SECOND (got that, hold your hooves up) time I'll admit I'm a moron for trying to talk to someone as heartless and coldblodded as you.

DesertMTB
02-08-2008, 12:49
itsyourturn.com anytime although I'm sure you're a pathetic pawn pusher. Lets try Extinction Chess or what ever you know the moves for. Now I'll try to explain this so you can understand. This is the SECOND (got that, hold your hooves up) time I'll admit I'm a moron for trying to talk to someone as heartless and coldblodded as you.

Hey Blue Jay, quit being a dick. If you are looking to flame people and start troll wars, there are plenty of other forums online for that.

the goat
02-08-2008, 12:56

just as i thought, you were lying by making up a phony story & using it as an example. when called out on it, you've got nothing except namecalling. is that how you play chess too?

for the record: that is the THIRD (got that, hold your wings up) time you've admitted that you're a moron.

Obsidian
02-08-2008, 13:52
i dumpster dived some fabulous chairs in Chicago...used them for 5 years then before my last move I sold them on craigslist for 60 dollars....I miss those chairs

Lone Wolf
02-08-2008, 13:53
i've eaten others leftovers in restaurants

cannonball
02-08-2008, 14:54
I generally get the food from the back door of the store instead of digging through the dumpster for it.

sincerely, Hog farmer

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 14:56
i dumpster dived some fabulous chairs in Chicago...used them for 5 years then before my last move I sold them on craigslist for 60 dollars....I miss those chairs

I would never get upholstered furniture off the street because of bedbugs. Unfortunately, they can infest plain wooden furniture as well, especially in the joints. When I see mattresses out for collection, I give them wide berth.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 15:09
I generally get the food from the back door of the store instead of digging through the dumpster for it.

sincerely, Hog farmer

That's actually the correct way to do it. Offer to clean up around the dumpster for what's inside. Most of the time people will give you expired or packaging damaged food.

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 15:41

sincerely, Hog farmer
I'm sure your hogs appreciate that little detail. :D

the goat
02-08-2008, 17:28
i've eaten others leftovers in restaurants

laughing my a$$ off!:D

superman
02-08-2008, 18:53
I met Screamer after Walasiyi. He had dumster dived and got a cheap tarp and all kinds of cool stuff. I was still hiking up the hill and he was camped on the side of the trail under his tarp with a fire that should have lit the tarp on fire. I paused long enough for him to tell me about all the cool stuff he found.
Then all during trail days every time I looked over at the dumpster by the restrooms Screamer was churning through the goodies.
He scored big in both of those places.

TheTank
02-08-2008, 21:55

Well, I can speak from experience, as both a moron and a dumpster diver.

Over the past few months about 90% of what I have ate I have gotten from a dumpster, and after seeing how much is thrown out I cannot possibly see starving to death myself, unless there is some great change in what is thrown out or the accessability of the trash. So, as long as I am physically able to dumpster dive I am not in fear of starving, and I cannot think of any reason anyone else in this counrty would not be able to do the same.

River Runner
02-08-2008, 22:33
Lots of people living in southern states especially where social welfare benefits are not so generous run out of food for their children all the time. A lot of school districts feed the kids breakfast as well as lunch because the kids come to school hungry. It's real and I've seen with my own eyes.

And I've seen the parents with my own eyes too. Usually with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths.

Not sayin' it don't happen. Just sayin' sometimes food to feed their family is not their top priority.

River Runner
02-08-2008, 22:42
I mean that was just the local grocery store throwing boxes upon boxes of food out that havent even been put on the shelves to be seen by the public it just printed on the box that contents expire by such and such date so they throw it out. imagine all the grocery stores that do that and then all the people that are starving in this country and around the world. ridiculous ~GB

Ridiculous, but...

The big problem is that if the grocery store (or restaurant, or caterer, or whoever) gives the food to someone to eat & they get food poisoning, guess who is getting sued?

Also, most grocery stores get credit for expired food from the manufacturer, but have to document and discard/destroy the food. They can't get credit if they give it to someone. So if they get credit & then give the food to the hungry, in effect they are stealing.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 23:10
So, as long as I am physically able to dumpster dive I am not in fear of starving, and I cannot think of any reason anyone else in this counrty would not be able to do the same.

The problem (not mine) is not being physically able, it's, as you can read here, many people are simply not able to get by the concept and stigma. The old "I'm too good for that" and "good heavens, what will people think".

River Runner
02-08-2008, 23:15
The problem (not mine) is not being physically able, it's, as you can read here, many people are simply not able to get by the concept and stigma. The old "I'm too good for that" and "good heavens, what will people think".

And the fact that you could be arrested for theft if caught doing so?

Bulldawg
02-09-2008, 22:57

Well then flamer, that proves Goat's point; You'd have to be a moron to starve in this Country. If you think you are too good to dumpster dive, soup kitchen eat, or even beg for food; then I say, you would be a moron. Thanks for finally proving the point of the guy you've been arguing with all this time.

Bulldawg
02-09-2008, 22:57
Now can we get back to the thread about where the best places for dumpster diving are?

Bulldawg
02-09-2008, 22:58
And the fact that you could be arrested for theft if caught doing so?
I hear they feed ya pretty good in jail. If you are indeed starving to death, wouldn't be a bad place to be.

Tin Man
02-09-2008, 23:01
Now can we get back to the thread about where the best places for dumpster diving are?

I thought the point was made - if you feel like diving, work. If no one will hire you, ask. If you cannot ask, yogi. But, please stay out of the f,,,ing dumpsters. It ain't healthy.

Blue Jay
02-10-2008, 12:25
Well then flamer, that proves Goat's point; You'd have to be a moron to starve in this Country. If you think you are too good to dumpster dive, soup kitchen eat, or even beg for food; then I say, you would be a moron. Thanks for finally proving the point of the guy you've been arguing with all this time.

Your argument is that following, what obviously is a very common social RULE, at least here on White Blaze, means you are a moron? So many of our cultural rules, such as those about going to war, end in death. That would mean soldiers are morons. Where do you people come up with this crap. In Amerika it is simply socially extremely unacceptable to dumpsterdive. A person's mental capacity has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. As for calling me a flamer, I am sooooooooo hurt. Crying in my beer. Before you pathetic humorists bring it up, I bought the beer. Never found one in a dumpster. As for proving anything to a goat, that's exactly the same as teaching a pig to sing.

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2008, 00:23

Very interesting topic, stunning read - sorry I cannot add to it.

middle to middle
02-15-2008, 11:43
Best story I heard on the trail about dumpster diving was from a guy in Linden, Va. who said he once climbed into a dumpster near a pizza shop where they threw any left over pies into the dumpster at closing. Great visual sitting there having it rain pizzas. Never dit it tho.