PDA

View Full Version : getting organized

Katherine
02-07-2008, 08:42
Hi Ladies!
I have a pack and apparently thought I was ready to do some short AT hikes with a woman who's hiking from MD to ME in the spring...meet her a few times in a few different places. Recently I was asked "do you have a tent?" (no) "do you have rain gear?" (no, again) Gee, what elso do I not have? Money...don't have a ton of that to be spending on hiking supplies. So, I am wondering and putting it out there, if there is a place to borrow beg, but not steal supplies?
Thanks, Katherine

Red Hat
02-07-2008, 12:14
Some REIs rent gear, check them out. Otherwise, check out the used gear for sale here and on ebay. You need a tarp or tent, sleeping bag, pack, rain gear, stove (if you want to eat hot food), small pot to cook or boil water, water bottles, clothing, trail shoes. That's the minimum...

Blissful
02-07-2008, 12:42
If you are really planning a long distance hike, then you do need the equipment. If it's only a weekend or a few days then basic gear will suffice until money is there. White Blaze is a good place to find out what you might need, so do searches and check out the various threads. There are good deals to be found online in places like Sierra Trading Post and Campmor. An alcohol stove for cooking you can make. You can use a grease pot for a cooking pot ($5 at K mart). Frogg Toggs are cheap rain-type gear to use. If you can sew, you can make your own sil nylon styuff sacks and pack cover. Thruhiker.com has the materials and it's much cheaper that way. There's also a homemade forum here on WB you might want to take a look at. There are ways to cut back so it isn't so expensive.

jaiden
02-07-2008, 13:08
Hi Ladies!
I have a pack and apparently thought I was ready to do some short AT hikes with a woman who's hiking from MD to ME in the spring...meet her a few times in a few different places. Recently I was asked "do you have a tent?" (no) "do you have rain gear?" (no, again) Gee, what elso do I not have? Money...don't have a ton of that to be spending on hiking supplies. So, I am wondering and putting it out there, if there is a place to borrow beg, but not steal supplies?
Thanks, Katherine

Sorry, I'm not a lady, (well no, I'm not, but you know what I mean) however this article should be useful to you:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15329

rain gear can be a $5 poncho from walmart, or a $40 poncho tarp which would work as a "tent"

tina.anderson
02-07-2008, 17:53
Walmart and Ebay are your best bets for good deals, but you could definitely save by having a makeshift tent and reading some of the posts that have been done on this forum.

cachica
02-10-2008, 11:49
REI is having their 83 cent sale, which means everything that's already been marked down twice is on half off the lowest price. I got a Marmot Precip jacket for $32... almost 70% off and they do have stuff online, tho the selection isn't as great as in store.