PDA

View Full Version : On The Trail 2008

mountain squid
02-07-2008, 12:01
This will be a thread for WhiteBlaze folks to post updates, news, and current info about the trail, trail towns, hostels, services, etc. Any info that current hikers might need to know. So, if you are out on the trail (or in town) and notice something of significance post it here. Hopefully, this will be helpful for disseminating info to those who need it.

If you notice any inaccuracies with the ‘guidebooks’, you might post it here also. However, Be Nice. There is ALOT of info in each of the publications, and there is bound to be a few mistakes/oversights, etc.

If the ‘Class of 2008’ hikers want to stop in and say ‘Hello’ and tell how their hike is going, that would be great also.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
02-07-2008, 12:14
DAMASCUS

The Baja Cafe is closed
Fisher Hollow Veterinary Clinic is 2.5 miles west out of town on the Creeper Trail 276-475-5397
Everything else is the same

mountain squid
02-13-2008, 15:28
Abby's Place in TN will be closed for the season. Abby's Place is located between Erwin and Hampton, TN about 5.8 miles South of Moreland Gap Shelter.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Aubee
02-28-2008, 14:39
A couple of trailjournals mentioned that Amtrak is checking bags now and that they are not allowing trekking poles, tweezers, or knives. I called Hiker Hostel and spoke to Leigh. She said that she already recieved one call about it but is not yet sure if its necessary to mail all of those items. She'll be picking up more folks from the train station this week.

TOW
03-04-2008, 10:32
The Only Wanderer's place is located at 204 Douglas Dr, Damascus. It is on the trail between Dot's Inn and Cowboy's (Exxon). There is a phone on the front porch with unlimited long distance to anywhere in the United States.

If you cell phones don't work, or if you do not have a cell phone, then stop by and use the phone.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 10:34
Wolf & Gypsy's B&B is now CLOSED for the season.

Sly
03-04-2008, 10:50
A couple of trailjournals mentioned that Amtrak is checking bags now and that they are not allowing trekking poles, tweezers, or knives. .

Are they searching packs? All items should be able to be packed.

TOW
03-04-2008, 13:05
Are they searching packs? All items should be able to be packed.
I had this talk with another hiker on Greyhound last week that said that Amtrak were checking packs as well..........

YeOldeBackpacker
03-04-2008, 13:44
A new Eatery opend north of Port Clinton, between the pavillion and Ye Olde Backpacker's Outfitter, its called Its Just BBQ, Great food fair prices large servings Hiker friendly open 7 days a week

Sly
03-04-2008, 13:58
I had this talk with another hiker on Greyhound last week that said that Amtrak were checking packs as well..........

To me, checking (in transportation), means storing, like checked baggage on an airline. Are they searching packs diligently enough to confiscate tweezers or broken down hiking poles?

partinj
03-04-2008, 14:05
hey Lone Wolf how is the rent in Damascus i was thinking about moveing their after my Thur-Hike Thank

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 14:07
hey Lone Wolf how is the rent in Damascus i was thinking about moveing their after my Thur-Hike Thank

$300 - $500 depending

CaseyB
03-04-2008, 15:50
Edit, aswered own question

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 15:54
Reminder: Rusty's Hard Time Hollow only open to Alumni, (and party animals)

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 15:55
whoopee! keep on goin' to waynesboro

hobojoe
03-04-2008, 16:00
Whoopee, a polluted park to camp at, and a mercury poisened river. But I'm off topic now.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2008, 16:02
Whoopee, a polluted park to camp at, and a mercury poisened river. But I'm off topic now.

anything is better than hangin' at rusty's

Bigglesworth
03-07-2008, 14:48
In Maryland as of this past week: Rocky Run Shelter is unsafe and being rennovated and/or new shelter near completion in same vicinity. Sign (on AT) for Crampton Gap shelter is gone, so may be tricky to identify the trail down to the shelter as shelter/camping are not visable from the AT.

Bmillonduhat
03-07-2008, 15:30
that sucks that the baja is closed this year...great burritos!

Gypsy"04"
03-12-2008, 00:41
How can I buy a guidebook? I have seen no reference to it or where to buy it.

Lavy
03-12-2008, 18:19
This is the one I'll be using. There are others but this should give you a starting point.

http://www.appalachianpages.com/

Kirby
03-31-2008, 18:09
The Appalachian Pages lists the cost for thru hikers at Elmer's in Hot Springs as 20 dollars, when it is actually 15 dollars. It also says lunch is ten dollars, but Elmer's does not offer lunch, dinner is 10 dollars.

Kirby

sasquatch2014
03-31-2008, 18:57
There is a new B&B in Pawling NY now open not sure of price I will try to find out and post. Also some books indicate that there is a grocery in town. this is not the case there is short term supply but the full grocery is now a few miles out of town. Feel free to contact me for help while in town. Glad to be of service.

also note that later in season for NoBo water at the Telephone Pioneer shelter is spotty. I was hauling jugs up from Aug on. will try to do the same this year.

sasquatch2014
04-05-2008, 23:25
Ok I found the info on the new B&B in Pawling. Not really for the normal hiker. Seems to cater to the upscale based on the cheap room being $175. If you do want to check it out you can go to www.pawlinghouse.com

On a different note I was down near Graymoor Spiritual center in NY today and noticed that they are putting in a new connivence store not sure when it will open it is right at the main road crossing so you wont miss it.

Dirty Harry
04-06-2008, 22:55
Im not shure if this has been posted yet but App. Pages does not show Wayah bald Shelter which is located at mile marker 118.6N depending on the book roughly 1 mile past Wayah Bald. P.S. watch out for the food bag police.

Trillium
04-12-2008, 09:10
. P.S. watch out for the food bag police.Excuse me, but your behavior was totally out of line in regards to your food bag. You were tenting and had your food bag hung in the shelter. You should have hung your food bag on the bear cables. or used your own rope to bear bag away from all human habitation including tents and shelter. then for you to go around badmouthing a hiker who tried to be very diplomatic about your food bag and was even willing to take care of it for you, is very poor form. you were the one who was inconsiderate of all the hikers in the shelter. you owe said hiker an apology.

turtle fast
08-28-2008, 18:53
The phone numbers for taxi services in Front Royal in the companion 08' guidebook are out of service.

trailangelmary
08-29-2008, 00:56
Contact phone number for trailangelmary is 717-834-4706. Any others listed anywhere are no longer used.

Olives
09-07-2008, 08:00
I've ridden amtrak 5 times within the last two months, to and from the trail for various reasons and not once did they check my bag. however, Grey Hound doesn't allow canisters. And I had to leave that behind.

rafe
09-07-2008, 08:21
In my experience (boarding Amtrak at University Ave, near Boston MA) -- no bag checking. I'm liking Amtrak, at least between Boston and NYC.

Think Spring
09-07-2008, 14:28
:confused:Hay Wolf, The Only Wander, or anyone else familiar with Damascus: Is Dot's Restaurant still open for business, and if so, what are their hours? In the last three or four trips through town I've never been able to find them open, the latest of which was around August 4 or 5.