PDA

View Full Version : Rainfly only pitches... recommendations?

Nomad94
02-07-2008, 13:25
(Please.... not interested in tarptents or hammocks on this thread).

Currently have a coleman cobra that I pitch rainfly-only that weighs in at a little under 2 lbs (fly, stakes, 1 pole).

I was thinking of moving to a free-standing or 2-pole fly-only pitch, preferably keeping the weight under 2 lbs.

Any recommendations for a good roomy setup that is affordable as well (south of $150-preferably sub-100)?

AlwaysHiking
02-07-2008, 15:06
MSR Zoid 1 comes up on ebay for pretty cheap sometimes. It's a 2-pole, not free-standing. Used they're a good deal.

booney_1
02-07-2008, 23:33
I have a Sierra design light year 1. If you get the foot print, you can use it's two poles and just the fly for a light weight setup under two pounds. I use it like this year round, except when bugs are an issue. It's not free standing, but it works very well.

booney_1
02-07-2008, 23:40
One point...you mentioned roomy...this is not a roomy set up. The Sierra Design Clip Flashlight 2 person tent fastpacks to 2 pounds 7 oz, only about 9 oz more. But you have much more room.

You really get more room using a tarp tent (or just using a tarp), at this cost. I think a tarp is more water resistant in a strong rain since you can pitch it lower to the ground.
(so water won't blow in from the sides).

The Sierra designs rain flys don't go all the way to the ground.

skeeterbait
02-08-2008, 19:33
You might want to check out www.tarptent.com. It's a bit more money than you want to spend, but it might give you some ideas. I think you can also buy plans for the Contrail and make it yourself if you have that kind of talent.
I just bought the Rainbow and look forward to trying it out, it certainly looked roomy while I had it set up in my living room to seam seal it...

aaroniguana
02-08-2008, 19:41
I use the fly from an old Eureka Timberline2. Tyvek floor, 6 stakes, some short guylines, two hiking poles and you can stake it low in winds. Fits two adults and a large dog (cozily) and packs to the size of a Pringles can. I haven't weighed it because that'snot important to me, but I would estimate about a pound.

Nomad94
02-08-2008, 22:15
Thanks for all the responses.

I use the fly from an old Eureka Timberline2. Tyvek floor, 6 stakes, some short guylines, two hiking poles and you can stake it low in winds. Fits two adults and a large dog (cozily) and packs to the size of a Pringles can. I haven't weighed it because that'snot important to me, but I would estimate about a pound.

How stable are the poles? Do you just stake it out and then raise the poles?