PDA

View Full Version : Adirondacks...

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 13:59
Hey guys, I'm looking for a nice week long trip. It doesnt have to be a loop but maybe somewhere I can catch a bus back or something. I know there is a trail thats 133 (?) miles long that runs right up to lake placid. Am I correct? Does anyone know the name of this trail and can provide me with any information? I checked out adk.org and it didnt have much to say. Are there any forums dedicated to the Adirondacks? Thanks guys.

wilconow
02-07-2008, 14:02
http://www.adkforum.com/

northville placid trail:
http://www.aldha.org/northvil.htm

rafe
02-07-2008, 14:10
There's something called the Northville-Lake Placid trail (http://www.gobacktothebasics.com/adirondack_guides_available_for_your_northville_la ke_placid_thru_hike___we_also_.htm), or something like that.

Blue Jay
02-07-2008, 14:25
Northville Placid is IMO the only trail as good as the AT, and that is saying alot. It's just short, 125 miles. Only one mountain and that one is short. Go in August if you can, less bugs and you can swim in a pristine, secluded lakes or ponds every night. The B&B in Blue Mountain Lake is wonderful and stay at the Inn on Long Lake. You are in for a treat.

The Solemates
02-07-2008, 15:47
I'm thinking about doing the Northville-Placid Trail over Thanksgiving 2008. Does anyone have experience with how bad the snow is during that time of the year? We were up there mid-Oct this year and the trails were free from snow at lower elevations, but up to 2-foot drifts at the mountaintops. Anyone with experience in the 'dacks in late Nov?

rafe
02-07-2008, 15:55
Back in the old days (35 yrs. ago) we used to ski at Whiteface on Thanksgiving. With global warming, who knows?

Blue Jay
02-07-2008, 16:06
I'm thinking about doing the Northville-Placid Trail over Thanksgiving 2008. Does anyone have experience with how bad the snow is during that time of the year? We were up there mid-Oct this year and the trails were free from snow at lower elevations, but up to 2-foot drifts at the mountaintops. Anyone with experience in the 'dacks in late Nov?

That time of year you could have almost anything. Deep snow, ice, or it could be warm and beautiful. There is no way to tell ahead of time. It is unlikely to be below zero, that's about all I would predict. It would be best to prepare for the worst as there are only 4 roads that cross it.

Toolshed
02-07-2008, 17:05
I've done the NLP several times - as both section hikes in all seasons and a thru-hike . In addition, I used to maintain a couple of lean-to's on a connector trail in the Cold River Valley. I'd be gald to share some info on the trail a little later tonight when I get home. Or feel free to PM me with anything specific.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 17:19
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I plan on taking this trip sometime this spring. Any more information is greatly appreciated. From the post above, I'm guessing there are shelters on this trail? If so, how many? Shelters do not really matter that much since I plan on staying in my tent most of the time. How are the water sources? Are there many? Is water going to be an issue?

Another question that i had was using a bear canister. I read somewhere on the adk.org site that its REQUIRED to use a bear canister but not on every trail, just some in specific. Is the NLP trail one that is required? I do not own a bear canister and dont want to waste the money to use it for one weekend but if I have to I will. My father did this trail about 30 years ago and says it was one of the best trips he has ever taken (he's done about half of the AT and many others). Is there somewhere at the end of the trail where I will be able to get a bus back, etc.? thanks alot guys.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 17:20
Oh wow, I just seen the ADKforum.com. I will take my questions over there. I'm still open to hearing suggestions, etc. from here though. thanks for the forum link wilconow.

MOWGLI
02-07-2008, 17:30
A bear cannister is not required on the NPT. Check out my photo gallery for photos from the 50 northernmost miles of the trail. As Blue Jay said, you're in for a treat! I'd do it in Sept in Oct if I had flexibility.

MOWGLI
02-07-2008, 17:35
PS: I found the ADK Forums unhelpful. Not many backpackers over there - or so it seems. I found more info about the NPT on this site.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 18:32
A bear cannister is not required on the NPT. Check out my photo gallery for photos from the 50 northernmost miles of the trail. As Blue Jay said, you're in for a treat! I'd do it in Sept in Oct if I had flexibility.

Thats a good thing to hear that bear canisters are not required. I didnt want to have to spend a ton of cash just to carry one for a week... plus those things are bulky as hell. I'm not sure yet if were going to do it straight through and be done or turn around and come back after. Are there any towns when you hit the end? Somewhere to resupply if we do decide to turn back around? Any suggestions is helpful, I mean ANY. I know NOTHING about this trail. Anyone know where I can get a map of this trail? Is the trail well marked?

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 18:33
PS: I found the ADK Forums unhelpful. Not many backpackers over there - or so it seems. I found more info about the NPT on this site.

Thanks for the insight. I guess Im relying on you guys than :D

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 18:35
MOWGLI... why do you say Sept/Oct? My schedule is pretty flexible for a one week trip. I'm in college so I can take off one week but not too, if I do it in anytime before late august (i think thats when the semester starts) I could turn it into a two week trip. I have to base this trip around my school schedule.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 18:35
I'm in college so i can take off one week but not TWO*

MOWGLI
02-07-2008, 18:47
MOWGLI... why do you say Sept/Oct?

No (or few) bugs
Fall colors
Possibility of swimming
Perfect hiking weather
Possibility of hearing & seeing Loons

That about sums it up. September (late) would be the better month in my opinion.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 18:51
That about sums it up. Now I just have to see what my schedule is like and than figure it out. I heard that there is a town in the middle of the trail... true?

MOWGLI
02-07-2008, 18:54
I suggest you purchase the guidebook for the trail. I sold mine on Amazon - used. I have only walked the northern 50 miles o the trail. There are a couple of trail towns though. Sorry I can't be more specific. Send a PM to Blue Jay or Earthworm.

Seeker
02-07-2008, 19:00
Back in the old days (35 yrs. ago) we used to ski at Whiteface on Thanksgiving. With global warming, who knows?

i was there in Feb 1981, and it was too warm to ski.

Tin Man
02-07-2008, 19:30

i was there in Feb 1981, and it was too warm to ski.

Goes to show you that just because Gore didn't invent Global Warming until recently doesn't mean the globe couldn't have been warm in 1981.

88BlueGT
02-07-2008, 19:36
I actually do have a guide book for the Adirondacks... but its from 1977 or something like that. I guess I could use it for some general information but if I'm going to be spending a week out there its probably a good idea to get one thats up to date. My dad gave me the guidebook, not really to use but it was just something that he had. He still has old guide books for the AT back in the 70's... pretty neat. And they are all in almost perfect condition :)

Toolshed
02-07-2008, 19:40
You find more hunters and fisherman on ADKforums nowadays. Go to ADKhighpeaks.com forums and you will find plenty of ADKers.
PM me with your email an I can send you a spreadsheet with all the trail details, mileages and Lean-tos, camping spots, POIs and such..
The trail is basically a lowland route from Upper Benson to LP. (Northville to UB is basically a 10ish mile road walk.).
There are lots of mosquitoes, black flies, horseflies, deer-flies and Adirondack mud if you go between April and Early August, but with a little deet and small breeze, you forget about them in no time. There can be lots of water at times and there have been more than a few occasions over the last couple of decades where I have found the trail to be completely overgrown in spots and in need of a good brushing out.
The longest road-less section is about 35 miles from Piseco to Cedar River flow.

The best season I have ever spent there is fall. Early September right after labor day. No crowds, no bugs (No mud if dry summer), gorgeous yellows and reds.
there are plenty of folks on ADKhighpeaks or ADKforums that will shuttle you for very little and no you do not need a bear canister for the NLP. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to see a bear there, except for the town dump at Long Lake.

Toolshed
02-07-2008, 19:53
File here

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 01:27
Hey, it seems that I start school again in late August. Plus my birthday is on the 18th of August and I know my girlfriend will want to spend time with me than. That basically leaves me early august... or anytime sooner. Any suggestions on times? Do you think going in the next few months will be better than going in early August?

Also, thanks alot for the spreadsheet, lots of detailed information on there. One thing though, after reading the spreadsheet it seems that its alot of roads and easy to get lost on. Is this true or does it just seem that way since theres so much information on the spreadsheet. Is the trail well marked? And another thing, are their signs on the roads leading to the trail? last thing I want to do is get lost on a 8 day trip.

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 01:45
Hmmmmmmm I signed up for adkhighpeaks but it wont let me post. I guess I have to be approved first or something.

mozzie
02-08-2008, 01:54
northville lake placid trail ,might not be what you are looking for,it dosnt summit much of anything,its all bottom lakes and ponds,it does go right through the largest block of forever wildstate land.can be very quiet though.it is great.it took me 13 days.

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 03:02
Not summiting big mountains is not a big deal. I just dont want to spend 5 of my 10 days on public roads... and have a confusing hike at that.

Toolshed
02-08-2008, 07:34
Very few roads. In the cold River Valley it follows an old gravel grown-back-in Tote road for about 3 miles (Road was put in to clear out the remnants of 1955 hurricane).
There is a 5-6 mile road-walk from Wakely Dam to the cutoff to Stephens Pond. It is a paved road, but dead end (little traffic) for the most part.

I haven't been up to the high peaks since fall, so I don't know what is happening in the lowlands from a snow perspective, but in most years you will need to bring snowshoes with you if you are on it before mid-April. The ADKs gt a lot of snow being on end of Lake Ontario, as the warm moisture ladened winds rise to get over the foothills, they cool down and then dump most of their moisture as snow. I have seen it over 10' in spots in mid winter - Been on a barren "treeless" windswept peak one mid winter only to reclimb it again in the summer and be standing in trees 8-10 feet tall.

"Redhawk" provides shuttles and I think Rik does as well. I don't know their rates, though.

I do think you need the mod to approve you on the high peaks forum before you can post. You can always also check the NY trails section of Viewsfromthetop.com, though I haven't seen anything posted on NLP in a while.

BackTrack1
02-08-2008, 09:01
Hey guys, I'm looking for a nice week long trip. It doesnt have to be a loop but maybe somewhere I can catch a bus back or something. I know there is a trail thats 133 (?) miles long that runs right up to lake placid. Am I correct? Does anyone know the name of this trail and can provide me with any information? I checked out adk.org and it didnt have much to say. Are there any forums dedicated to the Adirondacks? Thanks guys.

Ive hiked this trail twice, its a very cool trail, it pretty much follows the valleys from benson to lake placid, it climbes only 1 mnt. ( Blue Mntn.)
If you go in the spring go early, but expect alot of mudd and possibly some patches of snow , if you wait till mid may or early june, the black flies will chase you out of the woods, anytime after the end of may they usually let up. there are a couple towns for resupply along the way, Piseco is between 25 and 30 miles into the trip, not much there, post office, a small store, the owner is a real A hole though and there is a nice motel called the oxbow right down the road, i didnt stay there but i here they are good to hikers, then there is Long Lake, its a bit off the trail but its a good town to resupply in or pick up a mail drop, there are alot of services there, i beleive the last one would be Blue mntn. not sure though i didnt stop there.
There are shelters about every 8 to 12 miles or so, Leanto's, most are in pretty good shape, the outhouses are something else though, they really suck, i dont think ive ever come accross one i would use, but they are at every shelter, i do alot of trail work on the NPT, i just adopted my own section this yr, from silver lake to mudd lake, i beleive that section needs alot of work so be prepaired for alot of blowdown and mudd in that area, hopefully after we get in there this yr we will be able to clean it up a bit and build some new water bars and bridges.
if you have any questions you can PM me if you want, there is also a new NPT trail guide they just updated last yr. go back to the ADK forum and find the NPT link, it has alot of good info on there, Rehawk is the shuttle guy,
have a good hike.

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 11:05
Are there any towns when you hit the end? Somewhere to resupply if we do decide to turn back around? Any suggestions is helpful, I mean ANY. I know NOTHING about this trail. Anyone know where I can get a map of this trail? Is the trail well marked?

Lake Placid is at the end. There used to be bus service but I'm not sure as I never use it. Mail Drop 3 days at Piseco. There is a very good map. It is well marked but often overgrown. Not a complaint, I kind of like it that way. Do NOT go during black fly, May and June. In certain sections it is like being attacked by dogs. You will be walking thru their breeding grounds and they will tear you up.

Toolshed
02-08-2008, 12:59
Ive hiked this trail twice, its a very cool trail, it pretty much follows the valleys from benson to lake placid, it climbes only 1 mnt. ( Blue Mntn.)...
Actually, it doesn't climb any mountains, it goes along Tirrell pond and up over a low ridge (about 1,000 feet) but not up over Blue Mountain.

You can get supplies at Piseco or mail a package to yourself -- the trail goes right by the Piseco Post Office. (Depending on speed - day 2ish)

You can get off the trail at Cascade ponds and hike into Blue Mountain village there is a PO and a small general store. (Depending on speed between days 4-7)
You can get off the trail and hike a few miles into Long Lake Village - There is alaundry, PO and several stores & restaurants.(Depending on speed between days 6-8)

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 13:44
Awesome, thanks for the info. I just need to figure out when I'm going. I guess early August. Any more information is still very helpful, like I said, I know nothing about this trail so any information helps.

Mother Nature
02-08-2008, 14:18
Thanks for the tips and the spreadsheet information. I am from the ADKs and I'm an ADK46er. Know all about the blackflys! and the ADK mud (I call it dinosaur mud cause it generally stinks too).

Having moved to Atlanta soon after finishing the ADK46er I have always planned to get back to do the NPT.

Smokestack and I have talked about doing it next year. We plan to go from HF north this year on the AT.

MN

88BlueGT
02-08-2008, 14:41
What exactally is a 46er?

Also, is the trail muddy all year around?

Blue Jay
02-08-2008, 15:40

It's not to bad in January and the Black Flies are slow, you can out run them:banana

A-Train
02-08-2008, 15:48

46er=someone who hikes all 46 high peaks in the DAKS over 4000 feet (although not all are actually 4000 feet, right?)

STEVEM
02-08-2008, 15:51

http://www.adk46r.org/

Toolshed
02-08-2008, 15:57

Someone who has climbed the 46* high peaks in the Adirondacks. There are 46 peaks in NY that are counted as being over 4,000 feet tall and rise at least 300 feet on each side (and I think have to be separated by a horizontal half mile). Although several technically are slightly less than 4,000, (Couchsacraga and Nye come to mind). The asterisk refers to a 47th, McNaughton that was included after the original 46er high peaks list was drawn up by the Marshall Brothers back in the 40's or 50's. I don't think it actually comes to 4,000 feet, based on a more recent survey.

Toolshed
02-08-2008, 15:58
...Sorry, some of us can get pretty worked up talking about the 'Daks.:D

Hammock Hanger
02-08-2008, 18:38
Thanks for the tips and the spreadsheet information. I am from the ADKs and I'm an ADK46er. Know all about the blackflys! and the ADK mud (I call it dinosaur mud cause it generally stinks too).

Having moved to Atlanta soon after finishing the ADK46er I have always planned to get back to do the NPT.

Smokestack and I have talked about doing it next year. We plan to go from HF north this year on the AT.

MN

Jed and I did it for my 42nd birthday.. OMG that was almost, it can't be... well it seems like yesterday. We started just before Labor Day, weather was great and we only had company the weekend of Labor Day. Sweet trip. The Placid end is only about 20 minutes from the camp I worked for.

Hope you are enjoying your winter.

Sue

88BlueGT
02-12-2008, 14:00
Yea, I signed up for ADKhighpeaks and they "deleted" my registration :confused:

Toolshed
02-12-2008, 16:36
Might you have already signed up once previously and they see this as a dup?
PM me with you requested username and I can PM one of the Mods and ask them

Peaks
02-12-2008, 20:03
That about sums it up. Now I just have to see what my schedule is like and than figure it out. I heard that there is a town in the middle of the trail... true?

the community of Long Lake is at mile 95.45, 1.5 miles off trail.

The community of Blue Mountain Lake is at mile 80.3, about 2 miles off trail.

88BlueGT
02-13-2008, 01:06
the community of Long Lake is at mile 95.45, 1.5 miles off trail.

The community of Blue Mountain Lake is at mile 80.3, about 2 miles off trail.

Awesome, thanks.

88BlueGT
02-13-2008, 01:11
Might you have already signed up once previously and they see this as a dup?
PM me with you requested username and I can PM one of the Mods and ask them

No, I have never signed up over on that site before. I would appreciate it if you could send a PM over, that would be great. I would like to use the same username, 88BlueGT. I would have more of a "backpacking" name but I cant seem to remember them if I change them :D

Toolshed
02-13-2008, 11:06
88BGT,
Check for my PM.