PDA

View Full Version : Cross Florida Trail

Mountain Dog
02-07-2008, 22:04
Anybody have any specifics on the Cross Florida Trail, I think it is technically called the Margie Harris Carr Greenway Trail. The Florida Office of Greenways and Trails did not have anything usefuld for hiking and I did not see anything specifically about the trail on the FTA site. I'm curious about how long it has existed, if it is completed, any mileage or data books around, trailheads, just the usual stuff hikers look for before they make their first hike on a trail.

wilconow
02-07-2008, 22:18
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/cfg/default.htm

Mountain Dog
02-07-2008, 23:55
This site is a good start, I guess. If I read it correctly, the trail is a combination of somewhere between 8 and 13 individual trails that are loosely connected and some might be by boat only. I was hoping there was something about the entire crossing but I guess there isn't. I'll get a Florida map and try figuring out where all the sections are located and how they relate. I hope each park or sections have something in more detail about their area so I can figure out a plan. I hate to start on a 110 mile hike and not know about markings, water, camping, resupply, etc. I can see now why the Office of Greenway Trails was unable to tell me anything useful about hiking the trail.

Mountain Dog
02-08-2008, 00:26
Are these what I am missing (Florida Trail Companion Guide For Long Distance Hikers, The Florida Trail: The Official Hiking Guide, or the Data Book)? I saw a discussion on another link and these three were mentioned. The "Data Book" was introduced during the discussion so I guess it is something other than one of the first two and not a term referring to one of them. Is there anyplace where a page or more is shown so I can see just what and how each is displayed and what trails are covered. I'd hate to buy one only to find out it covers only the FTA trails outlined on their web site.

Hammock Hanger
02-08-2008, 18:44
Are these what I am missing (Florida Trail Companion Guide For Long Distance Hikers, The Florida Trail: The Official Hiking Guide, or the Data Book)? I saw a discussion on another link and these three were mentioned. The "Data Book" was introduced during the discussion so I guess it is something other than one of the first two and not a term referring to one of them. Is there anyplace where a page or more is shown so I can see just what and how each is displayed and what trails are covered. I'd hate to buy one only to find out it covers only the FTA trails outlined on their web site.

I have all 3, I'll see what I can find. What exactly would you like to know about the books?? The Data Book is just that a little fit in your pocket book that is stictly mileage, water, camping, stores... It cost about 5-6 bucks and comes out each year. I have a 2007 that I am using for handouts if you want one PM me.

Hammock Hanger
02-08-2008, 18:48
I see where the FT is along the Seminole Rails Trail outside of Oveida but I don't find the Greenway you mentioned and I do not remember hiking it and I've done the FT.

Cuffs
02-08-2008, 21:02
If you cant hike it, it can be done by water! From Gulf of Mexico to St. Johns River/Jax... BTDT!

jnetx
02-09-2008, 01:18
The blazed FL Trail (West corridor) follows the Cross Florida Greenway from Pruitt Trailhead (7 miles east or Dunellon) across to Rodman Dam. I don't have my books handy right now, but mileage is approx 70 I think. There is primitive camping at Pruitt (just east of trailhead), Landbridge, regular campground at Belleview, primitive at Marshall, then you're in Ocala NF and open camping up to Rodman as long as it's not hunting season (which should be over by now down there).

cowboy nichols
02-09-2008, 11:40
www.floridagreenwayssandtrails.com (http://www.floridagreenwayssandtrails.com) this is a flyer type map info that I use. this trail goes by my sons house so I been on it more. there are horse trails and bike trails also. tick are out in force here in Fl. so be careful I learned the hard way. Cowboy

Gray Blazer
02-09-2008, 13:11
If you cant hike it, it can be done by water! From Gulf of Mexico to St. Johns River/Jax... BTDT!
You may have to portage.

Mountain Dog
02-09-2008, 20:29
The across Florida Barge Canal was scrapped and the right of way made available for public use. I think all of that land is called the Greenways Trails. I think it runs from around Dunellon to Buttonlock and uses the trails in the Ocala National Forest. There is a crossing, termed a Land Bridge, over I-75 and the crossing has foliage/trees on it. I've heard distances from 110 to 130 miles. FTA maps 17,18,19,20,25 and 26 cover the trail, I think. I'm still researching. All input from other will be welcome.

Coyboy N. Are the ticks out down there NOW? We've got another couple of months her in the Panhandle before we must carry water and blood in our packs.

Cuffs
02-09-2008, 20:31
You may have to portage.

I did it in 4 days via jet ski... no portage...

Amphibious D
02-10-2008, 09:16
The ticks ARE definitely out right now!!! I was hiking on the Florida Trail yesterday and pulled a couple off of me. I even had on repellent.

cowboy nichols
02-10-2008, 17:46
I live in Tallahassee and got tick bites and am now being treated for lyme desease This was pure carelessness on my part,I'm more used to hiking up north and didn't relize the tick season is year round. The Dr, treating me said she gets several lyme patients and it is increasing. Guess they, the ticks, joined the snowbirds comming south. All kidding aside this is a nasty desease.:(:(

bridgette_ctr
09-30-2010, 18:54
Are you hiking the Florida Trail? If so, when?

mmais68569
09-30-2010, 20:43
This was a 2008 post.

Mike