PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to carry water on front of backpack

hurryinghoosier
02-08-2008, 09:06
I have a granite gear nimbuz ozone and would like to attach a water bottle to the front of pack so I can reach while hiking. Has anyone modified their pack to allow for this?

zoidfu
02-08-2008, 09:15
You got something against camelbacks and platypi?

zoidfu
02-08-2008, 09:16
Or is this just for juice or something? I don't know why else anyone would prefer a water bottle over hydration packs.

Two Speed
02-08-2008, 09:17
Your understanding or lack thereof isn't material to the original question.

DAKS
02-08-2008, 09:18
i've seen that some people attach a bottle to the shoulder strap using thin shock cord. it looks like you can just tie the shock cord or two through the strap which will then hold the bottle. i'm looking at doing this myself

Furlough
02-08-2008, 09:19
I have not yet tried this. But I did borrow the idea below from Barbara Corleys Trail Journal (class of 2007). If you follow the attached link (Click on entry Prep#19) you will also be able to see a picture of this set up. Hope this helps - Furlough

My Hydration System – Barbara Corley AT 2007
"Recently I saw someone with water bottles attached to his packs shoulder straps at chest level. I thouhgt now that's the way to go. Except you have to detach the bottle from the strap for every sip you take. So this is what I came up with as you can see in the picture. I bought a pack of 'Cargoloc" 12 inch magic ties. They are velcro self gripping straps. I had some tubing left from a filter modification and a spare bite valve to make the no-hands drink system.
I'm using two 20 oz drink bottles. The cap is the same diameter as the cap used on my water filter. A 5/16 in. drill bit makes the perfect size hole in the bottle cap for the tubing.
I have eliminated 2 lb, 12 oz from my back by moving the water to my chest. So far the sound of water sloshing is it's only drawback. To prevent water freezing in the tubing I can pinch the bite valve to drain the water.
I think this hydration system is the way to go."
- http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5327

zoidfu
02-08-2008, 09:19
Your understanding or lack thereof isn't material to the original question.

I just presented a better question, that's all;)

Tin Man
02-08-2008, 09:22
You got something against camelbacks and platypi?

It sucks using those.

Lilred
02-08-2008, 09:31
The problem I have with plastic water bags is that I can taste the plastic. Same reason I can't tolerate freezer bag cooking. Some people have a sensitivity to the plastic taste, and I'm one of them. I hang my water bottles from my sholder straps. I have a plastic loop on my shoulder straps and I found water bottles that have a flexible piece of material that holds the top to the bottle. I use a carabiner to hold the bottle to the shoulder strap. Looks ridiculous, but works for me. I hook my chest strap across the tops of the bottles so they don't bounce when I walk.

taildragger
02-08-2008, 09:40
Water bottles can also take the weight off your back, gives you a lil bit of a counterbalance, and makes more bottles easy to access.

That and some of us hike in the desert, 7 litres of water on the back would suck.

I think that the two shock corded to the shoulder straps could work, or maybe attach the 1 litre kind to your hip belt. Or make a design like the gregory packs have (easy to reach, and angled just right, sadly, its one of the main reasons why I like my pack. That and it fits a 1 litre gatorade bottle perfectly

hopefulhiker
02-08-2008, 09:41
Check out the Luxury Lite pack, luxurylite.com, I used on for the whole thru in 05.... It will carry two litres or three litress in the front easy....

taildragger
02-08-2008, 09:45
Another thought, how light is your load?

Would you be comfortable w/o a hip belt?

If so, you could just get a "front pack" and put water, vittles, pistols, and such in there.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-08-2008, 09:56
Gregory used to make some pretty nice "holsters" for Nalgene bottles, but I can't seem to find a link. This is similar--http://www.rei.com/product/717325
and so is this
http://www.wookey.net/accessories/water/instructions.html

Good luck

Deadeye
02-08-2008, 10:09
Or is this just for juice or something? I don't know why else anyone would prefer a water bottle over hydration packs.

It's called personal preference. I hate sucking on a tube attached to a baggie full of water.

zoidfu
02-08-2008, 10:11
It's called personal preference. I hate sucking on a tube attached to a baggie full of water.

It's called suckling, bottle boy.

Deadeye
02-08-2008, 10:16
I can comfortably reach the side pockets on my GG pack without taking it off, that's where my filter bottle resides. I've considered the shock cord on the shoulder strap method, but haven't tried it yet. Another possibility, one that I used with packs where I can't reach the side pocket, is the Mountainsmith sidekick. It's a strap-on holster for water bottles that will fit on most hip belts. I don't think they make them anymore, but you can still find them in stores and online. Can't find one? Send me a PM and I'll mail you one of mine.

DesertMTB
02-08-2008, 10:17

Cost. Recycles gatorade bottles are durable and are dirt cheap. Hydration bladders and hoses often break and require cleaning.

Two Speed
02-08-2008, 10:21
I just presented a better question, that's all;)No, you didn't. :sun

zoidfu
02-08-2008, 10:24
Cost. Recycles gatorade bottles are durable and are dirt cheap. Hydration bladders and hoses often break and require cleaning.

I've been using the same one for 5 years now. It cost me 26 dollars. How many gatorade bottles have you used over the years? How often do you have to stop to take a drink rather than just turn your head slightly? Bottles are nice for water collection and adding drink mix but it's idiotic for actual hiking. In case you were wondering, I'm just trying to start s**t;)

DesertMTB
02-08-2008, 10:29
I've been using the same one for 5 years now. It cost me 26 dollars. How many gatorade bottles have you used over the years? How often do you have to stop to take a drink rather than just turn your head slightly? Bottles are nice for water collection and adding drink mix but it's idiotic for actual hiking. In case you were wondering, I'm just trying to start s**t;)

Right on. Nothing wrong with starting a little *****.

To each his own. I normally hike with a water bottle in my hand and use a large pladypus to carry most of my water (not a hydration bladder).

Hungry
02-08-2008, 10:37
REI sells a product called the Ultimate Direction Sport Bottle Holster for $19.00. It has a velcro loop that you can attach to your waist belt. It doesn't weight too much, so if you are concerned about weight issues, no big deal. I had the same issue with me nimbus, and use this.

ScottP
02-08-2008, 11:10
I prefer water bottles because it's easier to ration out water for desert hiking. For the AT, it's also much easier and more convenient to fill an easily accessible water bottle every few miles when I hit water than to pack and repack a bag with a hydration system.

The shock cording is a good solution.

taildragger
02-08-2008, 11:40

You just need to learn to multi task. I can hike and drink a beer, its a lot harder than hiking and drinking from a gatorade bottle (no foaming problems when I miss a step).

Plus, I'm usually getting the gatorade anyways, and I just keep the bottles for months/years (ones in my old jeep were with me for a long time, till they just got too old).

Then again, I use both. Drink the bottles first, then I got my nalgene bladder as a backup for the longer hotter sections.

hobojoe
02-08-2008, 12:12
Loosen shoulder straps, it makes taking out and returning the water bottle to pack pockets easier

DesertMTB
02-08-2008, 12:19
Plus, I'm usually getting the gatorade anyways, and I just keep the bottles for months/years (ones in my old jeep were with me for a long time, till they just got too old)..

pfft... I've got gatorade bottles so old, they are made of glass!;)

gumball
02-08-2008, 12:37
I attach one to my left shoulder strap (a bottle, that is). It is the bottle I use for running, and its made by Nathan. The bottle is enclosed in material that has a hand-strap for running. It also has a little zipped pocket in the front, and I put gum and stuff in that. Under $20 bucks, and I just use a little caribiner clip to clip it on.

Gum

scope
02-08-2008, 12:39
REI sells a product called the Ultimate Direction Sport Bottle Holster for $19.00. It has a velcro loop that you can attach to your waist belt. It doesn't weight too much, so if you are concerned about weight issues, no big deal. I had the same issue with me nimbus, and use this.

I've got a similar REI product that clips to the waist belt webbing, pretty light and holds a 32oz Nalgene (also holds a Fosters nicely!).

I don't use it anymore as it was somewhat large to be sticking out from your frontside and got to be somewhat annoying (bouncing and such). I agree that the platty is the way to go, although I still take a bottle and keep it in the side of my Nimbus.

cowpoke
02-08-2008, 14:39
Last Sept/Oct when I hiked sections of GA and NC...during the drought...I carried a fanny pack and turned around and wore in the front...carried two 32 oz gatorade bottles plus camera/snack/map/guide pages. This water was in addition to the two 32 oz gatorade bottles carried on the waist belt of my pack. Actually worked out well and the extra weight was not that noticable...sort of counter-balance. Hike your hike...to each his/her own...just have fun.

Feral Bill
02-08-2008, 14:41
REI and others sell belt holsters for 1 liter bottles. Cost around $4.50 and attach nicely to most hip belts. I've used them happily for years.

bigmac_in
02-08-2008, 14:57
I use a carbiner similar to this - http://store.myjewelthief.net/lot0238.html to clip a small water bottle to the front of my pack. It works well - keejp me hydrated until a rest stop.

I don't like the camelbacks either. But to each their own.....

AT-HITMAN2005
02-08-2008, 17:55
http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/travel_necessities/Water-Bottle-Holster-40453/

heres an option. i used on similar to this with my granite gear vapor trail pack.
it fits right over the hip belt, so hangs right in front of you. i used nalgenes. i would rather gulp the water try sucking it through a hose, too much work.

Tin Man
02-08-2008, 17:57
http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/travel_necessities/Water-Bottle-Holster-40453/

heres an option. i used on similar to this with my granite gear vapor trail pack.
it fits right over the hip belt, so hangs right in front of you. i used nalgenes. i would rather gulp the water try sucking it through a hose, too much work.

I would never suck a hose. Yuck!

hurryinghoosier
02-08-2008, 18:46
Thanks for all your help. I have some great ideas from your posts. I am going to experiment and will let you know the results. The shoulder strap idea seems more like what I had in mind. If I am not happy with the results I will take Deadeye up on his offer. I like the water bottle over the other options. The side pouch is hard for me to reach but maybe I should try taking tension off the shoulder strap before trying
Thanks

Critterman
02-08-2008, 20:22
I found some "Mounting Cable Ties " at Lowes. They have a hole at the end big enough for a #10 screw. I put them around the neck of a gatorade bottle and use another regular cable tie or cordage to make a loop then they are easy attach to shoulder straps and such. I am attaching a picture but it is fuzzy, hopefully you can see what I mean.

Kerosene
02-08-2008, 21:32
REI sells a product called the Ultimate Direction Sport Bottle Holster for $19.00...It doesn't weight [sic] too much, so if you are concerned about weight issues, no big deal.I disagree, The Ultimate Direction Sport Bottle Holster (http://www.rei.com/product/721392) weighs too much at 5 oz. for a 26-ounce bottle.

Erin
02-08-2008, 23:13
I carry a snap on water bottle holster on my front shoulder strap, easy to access. When it runs out I fill it up from the bottles in the pack holsters that I cannot reach without taking off my pack or getting a hand. I started this system on the AT and it really made the difference out west where hydration is key. I have bladders for biking, but it has really never worked for me backpacking. The bottles are easier for me to pump water into also at any trickle pipe. I use a electrolyte powder mix also. In the desert I keep my holster with water/mix on the front and then one quart with water only then one quart with electolyte mix to mix in with my front holster when I need it.
Then I stuff another 30 oz. in my pack for back up. Just water. Sorry, probably more information than you wanted. Obviously, I am a little fluid anal. I would rather carry too much than run out. On the AT section, I carried 2 quarts plus a regular water bottle and always had enough and shared. It was very dry this year.