PDA

View Full Version : How to stop toes jamming in shoes?

tucker0104
02-08-2008, 09:54
I have had a problem with my toes jamming in my shoes with a couple pairs of shoes now and it mostly happens going down hill. I bruised my big toe and toe next to the big toe last night hiking in Arizona. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to make this stop happening? I was almost thinking about buying another half size up in shoes even though mine fit fine at least then I would have that much more room to keep them from jamming. I wear go lite 9.5s. Please help me. I definitely do not see myself doing a through hike when after hiking one 20 mile day I have to take a break because my toes hurt.

Bearpaw
02-08-2008, 09:58
I have had a problem with my toes jamming in my shoes with a couple pairs of shoes now and it mostly happens going down hill. I bruised my big toe and toe next to the big toe last night hiking in Arizona. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to make this stop happening? I was almost thinking about buying another half size up in shoes even though mine fit fine at least then I would have that much more room to keep them from jamming. I wear go lite 9.5s. Please help me. I definitely do not see myself doing a through hike when after hiking one 20 mile day I have to take a break because my toes hurt.

Besides buying them a half size up, you should also insure they fit securely in the heel through the instep portion of your foot. If they are too wide there, you will still slide forward into the toe box even if you go up that half size. I recommend walking in place on an uphill incline to determine how much hill movement you get. Ideally, you want a 1/4-inch or less, but no actual pressure on the heel (which will lead to blisters as soon as your sweat wets the socks enough). Then turn around and walk in place downhill. You should be able to walk for many many steps with no toe touch.

gearfreak
02-08-2008, 10:16
I thought the 1/2 size larger trick would work too, but not for me. I was fitted for a pair of boots by Winton Porter at Neels Gap, Ga. What he told me was, with your foot moved all the way forward and your toes still comfortable, you should be able to poke your index finger down behind your heel to the bottom of the boot/shoe. For me, as a size twelve, that translated to a size 14 Keen Targhee II which he said tends to run a bit small. If you're wearing a low cut trail runner, I think you'll have trouble locking your heel into the cup. :cool:

rafe
02-08-2008, 10:20
I read this somewhere: when trying on hiking boots/shoes, kick something hard with the front of each boot. It should not hurt.

Ender
02-08-2008, 10:24
What everyone else said so far, you need a bigger boot. Also, make sure your toenails are trimmed down, as it's the impact on long toenails that hurts the most.

FeO2
02-08-2008, 10:30
Get your boots fitted at a store who has someone who knows what they are doing!

I had the same problem with a pair of Vasques I had. Finally I went to EMS (Peterborough, NH) and inquired. They had a staff person who knew a lot about hiking shoes. She had me try many pairs with socks that I brought. Each time I would go on a "ramp" they had in the store, probably a 30degree slope. She had me go down it trying to jamm my feet forward in the boots. I was amazed at the performance of different boots, some were really bad and others were great. The process is trying to match your specific foot size/form to a boot.

An expensive option is to have them professionally fitted. I opted to just try some until I got a pair that worked. The girl at EMS measured length and width and then made recommendations.

I ended up with a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX’s with green Superfeet inside (Superfeet were used about a year in my old boots)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2008, 10:34
IME, it is the heel lock that stop this from happening. Assuring the boots fit well in the heel area is one part of that. Some alternative lacing techniques (http://www.inov-8.com/Lacing.asp?L=26&LID=1)can help as well.

DesertMTB
02-08-2008, 10:37
I've had this problem hiking down into the Grand Canyon. It normally goes away for me after a few days on the trail.

You might want to check out alternative ways to lace up your shoes. I saw something on the net (can't remember where) that had diagrams to lace your shoes according to the problem.

ScottP
02-08-2008, 10:43
Try green superfeet--they'll help lock your feet in place, and will decrease shoe volume so that your feet are less likely to have the space to move forward

try on different types of shoes. It takes a while to find the type that fits you well

if neither of those work, try chaco sandals--some people just have odd feet and can't find anything that fits properly. If you hike in sandals make sure you still wear socks, and also make sure that you take care of your feet (sand down calluses and lotion a few times daily). Buy sandals a size to big to help prevent stubbing your toes. I have a friend that hiked the triple crown in chacos.

Also, man up. If you plan to walk 2,200 miles, expect some bumps and bruises along the way.

garysun
02-08-2008, 10:44
might i suggest a little bit of shoe lace technology undo laces and relace 1 or 2 eyelets
back to suit your feet when tightened this will stop your feet from sliding down this works well for me

Footslogger
02-08-2008, 11:20

===========================================

If you've got the correct size footwear (and the style you like) with adequate room in the toebox then your choices are either to use a locking style lace pattern that holds the foot back in the heel area or a good footbed that supports the arch (falling/relaxing arch can allow foot "elongation") and also keeps the heel back in the heel cup of the footwear during a stride.

The above presumes that you are otherwise happy with the fit and comfort of your current footwear.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 12:45
Also, make sure your toenails are trimmed down, as it's the impact on long toenails that hurts the most.

Super important.

You can lose your toenails. It's a slow, painful healing process even after you finally decide it's better to pull them off.

Lilred
02-08-2008, 12:58
One other thing I was told when I bought my Solomons, make sure your calf is at a right angle to your foot when lacing up your boot. This will help keep the heel in place as well. Simple solution, and one I never would have thought of.

Lyle
02-08-2008, 13:35
Assure proper fit from an experienced sales person or study how to fit yourself. One tip: with the shoes/boots unlaced, insert your foot, slide it all the way forward to the toe. You should be able to slide two fingers into the shoe/boot behind your heel. Once the shoes/boots are laced, they should hold your foot back in the proper position.

When starting a down-hill, assure that the toes of your shoes/boots are laced snug. Once you have laced them, try stepping on a rock or some type of step with your heels up, toes lower, your foot should not slide forward if the shoes/boots fit and are laced properly.

Also make certain your toenails are clipped. Long nails will not do well with prolonged downhill hiking.

berninbush
02-08-2008, 19:22
A year and a half ago I did a very short dayhike on the AT in cheap shoes. The shoes were not by any means too small for me... if anything, they were too big. I was fine on the first part of the hike, where it was more uphill, but coming back downhill my toes were killing me. What was happening was that on the downhills my feet slid forward in the shoes and my big toenails were pressing against the ends. My left big toenail turned black, and though it never fell off, it took a full year for the affected part to grow out and be clipped off. I was in so much pain for a day or two after the hike.

So I'll echo what's been said above: you either have to find a way to keep your feet from sliding forward on the downhills, or do what I do: hike in Tevas!

(Since you specify that your problems are going downhill, I'm going to venture a guess that your shoes are too "big" in the heel and middle, allowing sliding, rather than being too small in the toe. If a cramped toe box was the problem, I think you'd be feeling it on uphills and level ground too. So going up a half size might actually make things worse.)

mudhead
02-08-2008, 19:45
Also, make sure your toenails are trimmed down, as

another vote.

jrwiesz
02-08-2008, 20:06
Always go up hill!:rolleyes:

wrongway_08
02-08-2008, 21:19
Look at different boot brands, some have a more "square" toe bex then other, which may help.

The New Balance MO1200GT I just got in have a fairly large toe box.

Mike & Gloria Walsh
02-08-2008, 21:38
Last year while hiking on the AT I had a problem with my left not jamming but hurting on ball of foot anyway the Guys at Mt Rogers outfitter made a extra tongue out of foam that was to keep my foot from sliding forward .Let me tell you that really did help also they had me get a smaller boot when I got new boots.The people at MT Rogers Outfitter were great. Also I am a firm Beliver in Injinji toesocks. That is were our trailname comes from. Thanks Toesocks:sun

Miss Janet
02-10-2008, 00:05
Super important.

You can lose your toenails. It's a slow, painful healing process even after you finally decide it's better to pull them off.

He just had his toenails surgically removed so they wouldn't hurt him hiking again,,, ever... really!

Tinker
02-10-2008, 00:15
If you have low volume flat feet like mine, the problem you describe will be fixed by buying shoes or boots that fit the volume of your foot. My feet across the ball are wide, and at the heel, narrow. I recently found Keen footwear to offer the best fit for me. A very basic rule of thumb is that if the shoe doesn't look like your foot in length, width, shape, and volume, it probably won't be a good fit unless you go up in size.

vonfrick
02-10-2008, 00:15
Super important.

I lost many of my toenails last summer. I know it's not exactly "pretty", but after a night in a BnB that vaguely reminded me of a horror movie whilst pulling off my nails, I decided they weren't worth any future trouble and as they have tried to grow back I have continually cut them as short as possible.

Shutterbug
02-10-2008, 01:09

I wear two pairs of wool socks and pull my boot laces tighter.

mkmangold
02-10-2008, 01:53
I stop toes jamming by cleaning well between my toes.

Dogwood
02-10-2008, 02:43
I probably have spent more time dialing in my shoes than any other single piece of hiking gear! With some of the great advice already given I think your question has probably already been answered but let me add my 2 sense.

When trying on hiking shoes wear the same socks as U do when hiking, and, if possible, put on your pack(bring it to the shoe store) with the weight in it that U normally carry when hiking(I've done it). Try on perspective purchases later in the day when you're feet tend to be larger. If, your feet, that feel comfortable when walking on flat ground, start to appreciably slide forward inside your hiking shoes and toe bang occurs when walking down that incline ramp look for a different fitting brand, size, and/or style shoe, employ different lacing methods, or add after market orthotics. A different lacing method may enable U to better grip your forefoot if the sizing is too wide/loose in that area of the shoe and that is the cause of your foot sliding forward in your shoe. Before U lace up your shoes loosen the laces, tap your heel on the ground to assure your foot is all the way back in the shoe, and then lace up. Sometimes I will employ two shorter laces rather than one longer lace to better grip my forefoot and provide better comfort and fit for my high instep. After market orthotics, while seeming expensive, can sometimes make all the difference. They can change the volume of the interior of the shoe, its arch characteristics, and cup/lock-in the heel, which all can be a factor in getting a better fit and avoiding toe bang. And lastly, get to know the characteristics of your feet to aid in better shoe selection.

Jimmers
02-10-2008, 05:33
This is one of those hiking topics that I can honestly say I have never thought twice about until now. I've never had any problems with jamming my toes, even descending into the Grand Canyon. Probably has something to do with the way I walk, which is apparently odd. Depends on who's describing it. I prefer doctors....they're usually nonjudgemental. :)

Anyway, I walk on the front (ball) of my foot heavily, which means I have never yet worn out the heel of any pair of shoes or boots I've ever worn. I guess this also explains why I have always gone downhill in zig-zags. It's just unnatural for me to plant my heel first, which means I always look for the easiest place to place my foot well ahead of when I actually need to take a step.

This might not help anyone else much, but you might want to get yourself into the habit of carefully judging where you're going to place your feet if all the tricks with boot lacing and fitting don't work. You might not experience as many jammed toes. To me, it's a mental process as much as it is physical. Thinking back on it, the only times I've hated or had trouble with descents were late in the day, when I was already tired and distracted, usually thinking about dinner or where I would make camp.

Anyway, that's my plugged nickel's worth.:D

tucker0104
02-10-2008, 12:28
Thanks for all the help. I have a wide foot and bought non-wide shoes thinking it would help lock them in place better. I already have two black toes from hiking the Pine mountain trail 3 months ago and now my toes next to the big ones have turned purple from hiking down the grand canyon. I have to figure something out soon because I can't hike the AT with these feet problems.

Blissful
02-10-2008, 18:22
I take a 9 1/2 shoe but with athletic shoes and my trail runners I get a size 11. Works very well for me.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2008, 18:32
All good advice, especially the bit about getting professionally fitted by someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

If possible, go to a small independent store and try and get fitted by an owner or manager; in small stores, these are the guys who actually order the store's products, and are likely to be the most knowledgable people available.
Point out your problem to your fitter and ask him to suggest shoes/boots with a larger (or taller) toe box. Some boots run thin, some run wide, some have sloped tow boxes, some have roomy ones. The key here is to take the time to get fitted right, in the shoe that's best for you, and mainly, to be fitted by someone who knows their business.

ScottP
02-11-2008, 03:09
Just to top Baltimore Jack's advice off, the best fitting experts are often at running stores (at least in the suburbs and cities), rather than at outdoor stores. There's even a lot of running stores that have semi-pro/professional running teams--these guys know what they're doing!

A-Train
02-11-2008, 19:01
Just to top Baltimore Jack's advice off, the best fitting experts are often at running stores (at least in the suburbs and cities), rather than at outdoor stores. There's even a lot of running stores that have semi-pro/professional running teams--these guys know what they're doing!

To take that even a step (no pun intended) further, try to find a professional running store that will watch and record your gait. There's one in NY that will actually tape your run or walk and be able to zero in on your needs. This could be quite helpful for someone looking to use a trail runner/running shoe.