PDA

View Full Version : Lates start date?

jnohs
02-08-2008, 10:25
What is the abasloute latest start date for a nobo trip?

Hungry
02-08-2008, 10:31
Katahdin closes in the middle of October, so it depends on how fast you can walk the 2175 miles. On average 5-6 months. So based on that May would put you at 5 months.

Of course if you are like Wild Cowboy, you only need 30 days, so Mid - September might work.

rafe
02-08-2008, 10:34
No simple answer. Too many variables, too many options. Access to Katahdin summit gets difficult (not impossible) after October 15. That's the main concern of slow or late nobos. If you're quick and efficient in your hiking, you can start in May. If you're willing to flip-flop, there's no date "too late."

DavidNH
02-08-2008, 10:37
Katahdin closes in the middle of October, so it depends on how fast you can walk the 2175 miles. On average 5-6 months. So based on that May would put you at 5 months.

Of course if you are like Wild Cowboy, you only need 30 days, so Mid - September might work.

Actually the mountain does not close. The park (BSP) closes to overnight camping. If the weather were descent you could hike to Abol Bridge, camp, then hike to Ktahdin Stream Campground. Get a ride to Millinocket, spend night, a ride back, then climb mtn.

That said I will add that you DON"T want to be going through the whites in mid to late September and weather wise it is real risky in the maine mountains in October. Your chances of bad weather on Kahtadin, always real, will increase dramatically after mid October.

I'd recommend taking October 10 or so as an end date then back up 4-5 months (if you are a very fast hiker) or 5-6 months (if you hike at avg pace and take some town time). Allow at least a week extra time for the unexpected.

David

max patch
02-08-2008, 10:38
That depends on the person.

FWIW, I started on May 1 and finished the first week in October.

After a while on the trail you have a good idea what your pace is. If it looks like you won't make to K by 10/15 you can always jump ahead and hike back south to your jumping off spot.

Hungry
02-08-2008, 10:41
Actually the mountain does not close. The park (BSP) closes to overnight camping. If the weather were descent you could hike to Abol Bridge, camp, then hike to Ktahdin Stream Campground. Get a ride to Millinocket, spend night, a ride back, then climb mtn.

That said I will add that you DON"T want to be going through the whites in mid to late September and weather wise it is real risky in the maine mountains in October. Your chances of bad weather on Kahtadin, always real, will increase dramatically after mid October.

I'd recommend taking October 10 or so as an end date then back up 4-5 months (if you are a very fast hiker) or 5-6 months (if you hike at avg pace and take some town time). Allow at least a week extra time for the unexpected.

David
Thanks for clarifying for me on the Mountain/Park closing. Wasn't trying to confuse anyone.

A-Train
02-08-2008, 13:07
I probably wouldn't start much later than May 15th, knowing I could hike it in 5 months. But, everyone's got different paces and you are narrowing your window for potential injury the further back you start.

A late date is great and all, but what if you get sick for a week, need to rest an injury, have to go home for a family issues, etc. This stuff happens...

Kirby
02-08-2008, 18:47
Try avoiding a situation that puts you anywhere in the Maine mountains in October, unless you are experienced with the unpredictable weather that can happen.

Kirby

Ruthless Cur
02-09-2008, 00:54
Didn't "The Traveler" get arrested on Mt Katahdin after he summited when it was "closed"?

CaseyB
02-09-2008, 03:02
Start late! More company for me:). GA-Dams section early May.
Didn't the old-schoolers start in May pretty regular?
You will gain a week on the pack by hiking through Trail Daze.

--kidding, don't listen to me, just trying to corrupt more hikers into my late-start :D

Tennessee Viking
02-09-2008, 04:46
From what BSP rules state, after October 15, hikers must camp outside the park. The park will allow hiking during favorable conditions. But if you are caught without a permit or registering, camping, or a trail closed advisory is put into affect, they can get you then.

And why do you want to hike during Trail Days, I need help building new trail for the Hardcore event.

Marta
02-09-2008, 05:55
I think No Pain started July 1, 2006, and finished Oct. 15th. But he's a repeat offender and knew he could do it. It didn't sound like a particularly fun hike...the cold, dank weather during his last month or so pretty much sucked. I ran into him in Maryland a few days after he finished, while he was on his way home to DC. His sleeping bag was hanging out to dry, with the down all clumped together from the weeks of damp weather.