PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Katahdin to Hanover(ish)

Brushfire
02-08-2008, 14:11
Hello fellow SOBO's

I've been planning to do about half of the AT this year starting from Katahdin in June and working my way south. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have a much stricter timeline than I originally though. I have somewhere between 5 and 7 weeks max now that I can spend.

Either way, I think I'm just going to try to get as far as I can while still enjoying the trail, and pick it up later.

Ive read through some of info available on AT Hiker Section Rates, but most of these arent written with SOBO in mind. As such, I'm curious to know if any SOBO's think this is reasonable:

Assuming 6 weeks give or take:

I'm assuming that I'll spend about 6/7 days hiking, with a 0-day once a week on average.
I'm planning on moving about 12 miles per day, given what I have read about the white mountains, etc.
Given the above info, I think I can make it to Hanover, VT in approx 6 weeks.Do this seem reasonable given your experience SOBO or am I missing something. Do most SOBO's move faster or slower? More or less zero days?

I chose Hanover because I'd like to check out the Dartmouth campus and I've read that it has a good shuttle service to the nearest airports.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Brian

Magic Man
02-08-2008, 14:46
Last year Boo-Boo covered that same ground in 37 days, which included one ZERO.

www.trailjournals.com/rebecca (http://www.trailjournals.com/rebecca)

So six weeks should give you plenty of time to get to Hanover

Blissful
02-08-2008, 14:48
I went NOBO but many SOBOs I met said do not underestimate the ruggedness of southern Maine and northern NH - esp when you don't have your trail legs. Suggest altering milelage through that area esp. Even though we were in condtion we only did 8-10 miles through the Whites. And Katahdin is no picnic, neither is Whitecap and Chairback range for SOBO.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2008, 14:52
you'll have to average 12 miles per day to do it in 6 weeks. if it were me i'd just start and not set a goal. hike for the 6 weeks then get off

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 15:02
That's such a beautiful area, it would probably be better to slow down and enjoy it rather than be worried about making miles.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2008, 15:15
Having done the stretch myself several times, and after speaking with many, many other hikers, I think you'll take around 37-42 days to do this stretch, depending mainly on your conditioning. So five and a half to six weeks will be fine.

On the other hand, most of these folks were Northbounders, i.e they were in really good shape by the time they started out of Hanover; also, if you're heading South, you'll be starting your hike in a tough Trail state (Maine) which may mean lower mileage at first.

So in retrospect, I'd probably add a couple of days to my estimate.

I'd give it 42-47 days.

A-Train
02-08-2008, 15:15
Hello fellow SOBO's

I've been planning to do about half of the AT this year starting from Katahdin in June and working my way south. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have a much stricter timeline than I originally though. I have somewhere between 5 and 7 weeks max now that I can spend.

Either way, I think I'm just going to try to get as far as I can while still enjoying the trail, and pick it up later.

Ive read through some of info available on AT Hiker Section Rates, but most of these arent written with SOBO in mind. As such, I'm curious to know if any SOBO's think this is reasonable:

Assuming 6 weeks give or take:

I'm assuming that I'll spend about 6/7 days hiking, with a 0-day once a week on average.
I'm planning on moving about 12 miles per day, given what I have read about the white mountains, etc.
Given the above info, I think I can make it to Hanover, VT in approx 6 weeks.Do this seem reasonable given your experience SOBO or am I missing something. Do most SOBO's move faster or slower? More or less zero days?

I chose Hanover because I'd like to check out the Dartmouth campus and I've read that it has a good shuttle service to the nearest airports.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Brian

If you come up a few days short, the folks who run the Glencliff Hostel may be able to shuttle you to Hanover, which would save you 3 days. Same goes for North Woodstock and Kinsman Notch. It'd be pretty cool to end at Moosauilake as your last big challenge. Katahdin to Moose is a cool idea.

Brushfire
02-09-2008, 12:34
Everyone, thanks for your help.

It sound like this is a pretty good estimate if a little under. Thats fine. I'll just take it as it comes, and see how far I get. If i need to stay a week or so longer, thats fine by me :)

A-Train -- thats a good idea. I think I might do that. Is it a good idea to try and set up the shuttle once I'm there, or call ahead an earlier resupply?

Brian

hammock engineer
02-09-2008, 22:46
If it helps I made it out of Maine on my 31st day after taking my time, a zero, and some short days.

I didn't think the whites were as hard as parts of Maine. Way over hyped in terms of how hard they are from the northbounders I talked to.

thefistpump
03-22-2008, 22:24
Brushfire, I'm in the same boat as you.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34730

I'm starting right around June 1.

Brushfire
03-25-2008, 00:27
Sounds good. I'll see you out there. I think I'll be a day or two behind you. I haven't bought tickets just yet.

If you see some random person about my age (25) who is talking to himself, its probably me. Of course, given the mud and bugs, it will probably be a lot of people.

I'm going to kick off the season this saturday on the Knobstone Trail in Southern Indiana this weekend. They call it the "Mini Appalachian Trail", although I think thats mostly marketing BS.

Brian

Whitey9457
03-25-2008, 10:00
hey i'll be starting on that route too also around June 1 but don't plan on making it as far as Hanover, I really only have a month so I was thinking I'll really just be able to get out of Maine...

Almost There
03-25-2008, 11:09
Starting from K on June 10th. I'm figuring 4 weeks finishing somewhere between Gorham and Crawford Notch.

Brushfire
03-25-2008, 11:52
Sweet. Lets cross our fingers that the bugs wont be so bad.

Almost There
03-25-2008, 12:00
Sweet. Lets cross our fingers that the bugs wont be so bad.

They'll suck, but we'll deal.

mudhead
03-25-2008, 12:10
Blackflies chew.

Just so you can anticipate the pleasure of their company.

They only want your blood.