PDA

View Full Version : Dog Backpacks-whose you do like best?

BuckeyeGRRL
02-08-2008, 17:26
I have a Border Collie/Australian Shep mix that I'm going to start training with a pack. What brand(s) have worked the best for you? Various sites I keep reading give mixed reviews so figured this would be the best place to ask :).

Thanks!

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 17:40
Kelty K-9 chuckwagon (medium) for a cattledog weighing 45 lbs. Good balance and sits well. The material is pretty durable. The dog flying up Cat rock in NY on the upper right of the picture is my dog with a loaded pack on.
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6841/tj6841_020508_195315_293723.jpg

Two Speed
02-08-2008, 17:40
A Kelty Chuckwagon has worked out pretty well for my mutt.

I started Barney with a cheapo, about $15 or 20 IRRC. I think it's a good idea to start them young so that they get used to a pack, but load it very light. Don't want to screw their physical development up or build a bad attitude by making them miserable.

Gaiter
02-08-2008, 17:46
used a mountainsmith, but it fell apart, it looked like the stitch had just missed the bottoms straps, but they rushed a replacement to me, no questions asked, and not just the pack, they rushed their whole dog kit, the pack, bowls, leash, and bed.

Phreak
02-08-2008, 18:13
My dogs have used the Mountainsmith pack, Granite Gear Ruff Rider pack and Ruffwear Approach Pack II & Palisades Pack II.

We've had the best results with the Palisades Pack II. I like that the pack detaches from the harness for rest breaks and stream crossings. It also rides the best on my dogs - which are a shepherd/lab mix and beagle/ridgeback mix.

stumpy
02-08-2008, 18:28
" beagle/ridgeback mix."

I bet that is an interesting looking dog. Do you have any picks?

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2008, 18:31
(whats Best) Is You Put All Your Dogs Gear And Food In Your Pack. So Fido Wont Die! Or Just Leave Him/her At Home!

AlwaysHiking
02-08-2008, 18:44
Kelty K-9 chuckwagon (medium) for a cattledog weighing 45 lbs. Good balance and sits well. The material is pretty durable. The dog flying up Cat rock in NY on the upper right of the picture is my dog with a loaded pack on.

I agree with doggiebag, it's a good pack... My pup learned to hike in a Chuckwagon. He's about 50lbs and would be a size medium also. The only things that I don't like about it are how the belly straps pull forward off the padding and there are no drain holes in the bottom of the pack. I made some modifications to our pack to fix those issues that were very easy, but IMO Kelty should have made those standard.

One issue I wasn't able to find a fix for was stretching in the straps. I had a really hard time anytime the pack got wet keeping it balanced and tight. It would just slide all over. This may be an issue no matter what brand pack is used though.

All-in-all it's a good, low profile pack and considering it costs less than other packs on the market, it's a great buy. Very well made and functional without too many frills.

I'm not sure yet if I'll get another Chuckwagon now that he's outgrown his or if I'll get a Wolfpack (http://www.wolfpacks.com/).

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 18:54
I agree with doggiebag, it's a good pack... My pup learned to hike in a Chuckwagon. He's about 50lbs and would be a size medium also. The only things that I don't like about it are how the belly straps pull forward off the padding and there are no drain holes in the bottom of the pack. I made some modifications to our pack to fix those issues that were very easy, but IMO Kelty should have made those standard.

One issue I wasn't able to find a fix for was stretching in the straps. I had a really hard time anytime the pack got wet keeping it balanced and tight. It would just slide all over. This may be an issue no matter what brand pack is used though.

All-in-all it's a good, low profile pack and considering it costs less than other packs on the market, it's a great buy. Very well made and functional without too many frills.

I'm not sure yet if I'll get another Chuckwagon now that he's outgrown his or if I'll get a Wolfpack (http://www.wolfpacks.com/).

I usually keep an eye on him for the first ten minutes regarding the pack balance issue when we start hiking. After moving some items from one side to the other the pack will balance it's self out without too much fudging with the straps - after the pack is balanced and the straps properly adjusted. I would usually tie off the extral webbing from the straps into a square knot to keep it from slipping loose.

AlwaysHiking
02-08-2008, 19:20
I usually keep an eye on him for the first ten minutes regarding the pack balance issue when we start hiking. After moving some items from one side to the other the pack will balance it's self out without too much fudging with the straps - after the pack is balanced and the straps properly adjusted. I would usually tie off the extral webbing from the straps into a square knot to keep it from slipping loose.

Oh I did that too, but every stream crossing the straps would stretch and then it would shift from side to side. I could stop and re balance the thing 10 times easily until the straps dried completely again.

But I'm pretty sure any pack with a similar design will have that problem, not just the Chuckwagon. It's kinda like dealing with wet shoes... well, they're wet, whatcha gonna do 'bout it? :)

twentybelow
02-08-2008, 21:01
my dog pepper uses a backpack made by wenaha (http://www.reshaequip.com/products/wenaha_dog_packs.html) that was a hand-me-down from our previous canine companion. the pack has served our family well for over 25 years over thousands of miles of hiking. as you can prolly tell in the photos, it is pretty beat up these days, but considering how many slabs of granite it has scraped along and all the streams it's been immersed in, it still performs it's function rather well. i have no experience with other brands so i cannot make any comparisons, but i can say that this pack is very durable and the large size has more than enough room for a week in the woods.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22059&c=516

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22060&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

twentybelow
02-08-2008, 21:08
well, i guess i did something wrong when i tried to add the photos to the last post, but they can be viewed in my gallery.

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 21:11
well, i guess i did something wrong when i tried to add the photos to the last post, but they can be viewed in my gallery.
I just did a copy and paste from your gallery. Hope you don't mind :D
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/7/6/10_27_07_timp_072.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=22059&original=1&c=member&imageuser=14976)
Now that's a hardcore dog pack.

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2008, 21:52
post 13 that packs too big for that dog

twentybelow
02-08-2008, 23:00
doggiebag: thanks, i appreciate it!

crumbsnatcher: the pack has to be that big to fit the family sized canvas tent, the coleman two-burner stove, the cooler with all our food, and three gallon jugs of water.

joking aside, "that dog" is 110 pounds and the pack fits him very well. perhaps it is hard to judge proportions since our beloved pet is reclining in that picture. unfortunately, i don't have any other shots of him with the pack on.

Rouen
02-08-2008, 23:02
post 13 that packs too big for that dog
I agree with crumbsnatcher about that pack.

I use a small size kelty chuckwagon, and considering buying an RW approach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/rouenduck/Dingo/Picture143-2.jpg

AlwaysHiking
02-08-2008, 23:10
joking aside, "that dog" is 110 pounds and the pack fits him very well. perhaps it is hard to judge proportions since our beloved pet is reclining in that picture. unfortunately, i don't have any other shots of him with the pack on.

Weight doesn't determine fit. Build and frame do... the length of your dog's back and legs compared to the human legs in the photo makes your dog look like a medium size dog at best. The pack is too big for your dog's frame.

doggiebag
02-08-2008, 23:52
It's an old school pack. As twentybelow said his dog is reclining. I'm sure he knows his dog's capabilities. Those are Wenaha dog packs.
It's just their design. Here's a view of one with a dog that's not reclining:
http://www.reshaequip.com/images/DSCN0246.jpg

doggiebag
02-09-2008, 00:39
They call this urban mushing.
Kinda neat. Here's a video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHenO2tohLs&feature=related
http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007-3-21/Modern%20Mushing.jpg

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2008, 08:27
doggiebag: thanks, i appreciate it!

crumbsnatcher: the pack has to be that big to fit the family sized canvas tent, the coleman two-burner stove, the cooler with all our food, and three gallon jugs of water.

THANKS FOR RESPONDING,I'M A HUGE DOG PERSON,AS YOU ARE. AND I'VE SEEN ALOT OF A**HOLES HURTING THIER DOGS ON THE TRAIL. HAVING THIER DOG CARRY SOME OF THIER GEAR TOO. I GAVE MY DOGS PACK AWAY IN A HIKER BOX IN MY DOGS FIRST 100 MILES OR SO AND CARRIED EVERYTHING MYSELF. THATS ME THOUGH. I ENJOYED SEEING HER HIKE WITHOUT IT. I THINK IF SOMEBODY USES A DOGPACK THEY SHOULD ATLEAST TAKE IT OFF THE DOG FOR THE LAST MILE OR TWO, EVERYDAY. GOOD HIKING TWENTY BELOW.......

Two Speed
02-09-2008, 09:04
. . . I'VE SEEN ALOT OF A**HOLES HURTING THIER DOGS ON THE TRAIL. HAVING THIER DOG CARRY SOME OF THIER GEAR TOO. . . Yeah, gotta agree, making the dog carry gear is bogus, unless the dog drove to the store and picked it out himself.

Now, food and water? My guiding principle is every camper's gotta carry their own weight.

Still, Barney always gets a decent cut from my rations. He's a very active dog and I have trouble maintaining his weight on longer trips. Section hikes are no problem. Somewhere around two weeks I start having to crank up his calories something fierce or he starts loosing way too much weight.

BTW, I appreciate the posts of various dogs in their packs. The Chuckwagon's OK but I can't help feeling there's a better pack out there for my little monster.

BuckeyeGRRL
02-09-2008, 11:04
Thank you everyone for your help! IMO loving owners would never do ANYTHING to harm their dog. When I get Sydney a pack, I'll make sure to post a picture! :)

doggiebag
02-09-2008, 12:30
Thank you everyone for your help! IMO loving owners would never do ANYTHING to harm their dog. When I get Sydney a pack, I'll make sure to post a picture! :)
Very cool. Also keep in mind that just even having a very lightly loaded pack gives the dog a feeling of purpose - specially the working breeds. In addition - it identifies the dog as a trail dog as opposed to being a wild animal. Here's a vintage photo of an old pack that very much resembles the style of pack that twentybelow had on his dog. Have a great time with your best friend.
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/6537/tj6537_020908_112748_294478.jpg

Cowgirl
02-09-2008, 13:46
Thanks Doggiebag! All this political correctness about what is permissable & proper for a dog is nausiating! And that picture proves it. While I don't prescribe to working a dog to death, there is a balance.

My dogs put in an easy 50 miles a day or more to the 30 I put on my horse working cattle and people here say that making a dog walk 15 miles a day on a thru-hike is cruel. Heck I run my dog 4 miles in the am & 4 miles in the pm just to keep him happy (I ride a bike) He wouldn't even break a sweat (or a pant) while I am hiking my guts out on a trail. I'd put a pack on him just to make hime a little tired!

I love that Urban Mushing photo!!!! I have a bum hamstring and the bike kills me & I was thinking about trying one of this scooter things but was afraid tha dog could yank me off of it to easily....I'll look into it! I bet that rig is a lot safe (but very Yuppie looking)

:)

doggiebag
02-09-2008, 14:07
Thanks Doggiebag! All this political correctness about what is permissable & proper for a dog is nausiating! And that picture proves it. While I don't prescribe to working a dog to death, there is a balance.

My dogs put in an easy 50 miles a day or more to the 30 I put on my horse working cattle and people here say that making a dog walk 15 miles a day on a thru-hike is cruel. Heck I run my dog 4 miles in the am & 4 miles in the pm just to keep him happy (I ride a bike) He wouldn't even break a sweat (or a pant) while I am hiking my guts out on a trail. I'd put a pack on him just to make hime a little tired!

I love that Urban Mushing photo!!!! I have a bum hamstring and the bike kills me & I was thinking about trying one of this scooter things but was afraid tha dog could yank me off of it to easily....I'll look into it! I bet that rig is a lot safe (but very Yuppie looking)

Agreed - the working breed is amazing. They need an hour's worth of exercise a day or they get bored easily. The worst disservice anyone can do to a dog is to not allow it it's full potential. That is the reason that they were domesticated to begin with: herding, packing, mushing, hunting ... war and more importantly a companion. They are pack animals that function best in a established heirarchy of the Alpha (dog owner) and pack member (the dog). A disservice can be done to a dog by not realizing it's potential as a contributing member of the human/canine relationship. The worst dog owners treat their dogs like people in fur suits. The scooter does look very yuppie - I'm sure it's fun though.
http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/digitization/images_web/005706.jpg

Egads
02-09-2008, 14:10
How do you like this dog backpack?

doggiebag
02-09-2008, 14:17
How do you like this dog backpack?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3314&d=1202580601
I'm pretty sure that a Gremlin just snuck into your pack.

Cowgirl
02-09-2008, 14:23
The worst dog owners treat their dogs like people in fur suits. You are my new HERO!!!! Well said! People that don't know dogs are the ones that think they are little 2 year old kids and need to be treated that way. It is hard to read some of the stuff I see here and I get discougared some days because I am afraid I will meet some of these people on the trail and they will start spouting thier ignorance to me and I will have to give them a rasberry :D

The scooter does look very yuppie - I'm sure it's fun though. I'm headed down to Key West and it is Yuppieville so if I get one I will fit right in (and I'll post a pic of it) :banana

Cowgirl
02-09-2008, 14:24
[IMG]
I'm pretty sure that a Gremlin just snuck into your pack.LOL!!! :D

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2008, 14:26
Yeah, gotta agree, making the dog carry gear is bogus, unless the dog drove to the store and picked it out himself.

Now, food and water? My guiding principle is every camper's gotta carry their own weight.

Still, Barney always gets a decent cut from my rations. He's a very active dog and I have trouble maintaining his weight on longer trips. Section hikes are no problem. Somewhere around two weeks I start having to crank up his calories something fierce or he starts loosing way too much weight.

BTW, I appreciate the posts of various dogs in their packs. The Chuckwagon's OK but I can't help feeling there's a better pack out there for my little monster.
how much food at one time on avg. did your dog carry(#days rations) and curious how much water your dog carried i believe water weighs 8pds a gallon. my dog always could get water from me, she'd let me know when and how much i'd tip my water bottle slightly she enjoyed that emensly. i carried 5 pound bags out of town, dog treats and snacks too. my tuna,mycheese, our beefjerky.her z-rest,blanket,bowls,first aid kit ,booties,etc... my dog(bear) didnt seem to mind not having a pack.o-30 miles perday. 1oo miles with pack on. 7,500 miles plus without a pack! PRICELESS...

doggiebag
02-09-2008, 14:30
You are my new HERO!!!! Well said! People that don't know dogs are the ones that think they are little 2 year old kids and need to be treated that way. It is hard to read some of the stuff I see here and I get discougared some days because I am afraid I will meet some of these people on the trail and they will start spouting thier ignorance to me and I will have to give them a rasberry :D

I'm headed down to Key West and it is Yuppieville so if I get one I will fit right in (and I'll post a pic of it) :banana
Thanks - the folks more apt to keep a dog for life are the ones that value a dog for it's service and contribution. The one's that have a tendency to drop their "best friend" of at the pound are the one's that never found value in their pet specially after the cute puppy grew into a dog. It is difficult to read the more emotionally charged posts here but to keep balance we need to respond with reason outside of the usual hysterics common in these threads. Have fun in your new diggs and enjoy the beach.
http://www.tc.gov.yk.ca/digitization/images_web/008046.jpg

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2008, 14:36
Thank you everyone for your help! IMO loving owners would never do ANYTHING to harm their dog. When I get Sydney a pack, I'll make sure to post a picture! :)i'm not saying you should go out back and beat your dog! you would'nt go on the trail to hurt yourself either. crap happens...

desdemona
02-09-2008, 18:00
I just got a Ruff Wear Approach 2. On the very plus side of the pack is that it has a very good handle allowing me to pick her up and place up and down obstacles in a very easy way (for both of us). She really dislikes being picked up like a grocery bag and much prefers the picking up like luggage type thing. The pack has a nice cushioned design that mitigates the stress from being picked up on both of us.

I would never overload her, nor do I seriously believe that she would actually carry a serious load-- in fact, may just place a small first aid kit (for her) and collapsing water dish. She's not a big dog after all. But being a working breed, she's actually happy with this. I was surprised that there was no getting used to this involved.

BTW, strictly on the pack. The Ruff wear runs rather large imo.

--des

twentybelow
02-10-2008, 01:08
Agreed - the working breed is amazing. They need an hour's worth of exercise a day or they get bored easily. The worst disservice anyone can do to a dog is to not allow it it's full potential. That is the reason that they were domesticated to begin with: herding, packing, mushing, hunting ... war and more importantly a companion. They are pack animals that function best in a established heirarchy of the Alpha (dog owner) and pack member (the dog). A disservice can be done to a dog by not realizing it's potential as a contributing member of the human/canine relationship. The worst dog owners treat their dogs like people in fur suits. The scooter does look very yuppie - I'm sure it's fun though.

very well said! and i couldnt agree more. glad to see that there are a few dog lovers that actually get it. dogs love to be challenged, especially physically. they are happiest when they are doing what they are programmed to do - work! and they enjoy having a pack leader (owner) who performs that role correctly.

when i bought my dog pack way back in the 1970s, i did some research and discovered that most canines can comfortably carry 20-25% of their body weight. i tested that claim and found it to be accurate. of course there are many factors to take into consideration such as the age of the dog, the breed, the difficulty of a particular trail, etc., but none of my pets have had any difficulty carrying loads in that range. if some of you cringe at the thought of loading your dogs pack with more than a pound or two, then by all means do as you please. just be very careful not to judge someone else who KNOWS from experience that their pet is capable of much more.

btw doggiebag, thanks for posting that video on urban mushing -- VERY COOL!! i sent the link to a few friends and they enjoyed it as well. --- i assume youve seen the TV show "the dog whisperer"? if not, its worth checking out. its on the national geographic channel and netflix has it as well. Cowgirl - thanks for adding your thoughts to the thread. nauseating indeed! --> have fun in the keys!

off topic: does anyone know why i cant seem to get the apostrophe key to work on this site? i only have this issue on WB. whenever i use that key here, it makes the page scroll away from where i am typing. weird!

Rouen
02-10-2008, 01:14
I love that Urban Mushing photo.. scooter things but was afraid tha dog could yank me off of it to easily...

dogpoweredscooter is now making the same style out rig for a recumbent 3 wheeled bike(they call it the dog trike), if thats not your style you could look into canine sulky, chalo or sacco carts. and yes.. they usually come with breaks.
http://www.rjwalsh.com.au/mini/images/Cheryl%27s_Spyder.jpg

desdemona
02-11-2008, 01:04
dogpoweredscooter is now making the same style out rig for a recumbent 3 wheeled bike(they call it the dog trike), if thats not your style you could look into canine sulky, chalo or sacco carts. and yes.. they usually come with breaks.
http://www.rjwalsh.com.au/mini/images/Cheryl%27s_Spyder.jpg

Gee, I was trying to imagine a Corgi sized one (yikes).
I've seen the darnedest things in doxie fairs. They have a little rabbit type thing and the doxies chase them.

BTW, Torie had a ball today. I should get a picture of her up here!!

--des

Two Speed
02-11-2008, 02:55
how much food at one time on avg. did your dog carry(#days rations)On average 4 - 5 days worth, but on my last section on the GA Pinhoti resupply was an issue so we both wound up carrying 8 days worth. Short miles for the first day or two and then started upping mileage.
and curious how much water your dog carried I put (2) 600 mL bottles in his pack, one in each side. Of course they're not always full, nor are all the bottles in my pack always full. No point hauling water from spring to spring.
i believe water weighs 8pds a gallon.Technically I think it's 7.48 lbs/gal, but 8 is close enough for government work. One liter is roughly 2.2 lbs, so Barney has about 2.6 lbs in water when his bottles are full.

BTW, you and Bear put down a LOT more miles than Barney and I have, so maybe I ought to be getting tips from you. One thing on the whole load issue is that as the dog gets older I think the dogs' load ought to decrease. Every camper's gotta pull their own weight, but I wouldn't ask my grandfather to haul as much weight as a young guy. There's a balance in there.

Barney's still young, gonna turn 4 this summer, so he can handle his own. 10 years from now? That'll be a different.

. . . BTW, Torie had a ball today. I should get a picture of her up here!!Yeah, you should. And I probably should, too. I gotta get a shot of my furball going after a tennis ball. Talk about enthusiasm!

sly dog
02-11-2008, 10:54
Anyone know what size or company to fit a beagle(not mixed)? He is the taller of the beagles (15" I think) He is not too tall but a little bulkier then your average beagle. I dont want to buy one that will be almost hitting the ground. The only hiking he will be doing is mabye a 3 day section.

Rouen
02-11-2008, 12:51
Anyone know what size or company to fit a beagle

the smallest fitting pack I know of is ruffwears approach pack, the xxs size fits dogs with a 12"-19" girth.

desdemona
02-11-2008, 17:45
the smallest fitting pack I know of is ruffwears approach pack, the xxs size fits dogs with a 12"-19" girth.

They make a xxsmall and xsmall. I think they may come down a bit low, but Torie was totally happy with it. Admittedly what I am most using it for is picking her up. This is a far superior way of doing that than the standard hold. She carried a dog first aid kit (tiny) and a small roll of emergency food and tiny foldable dog dish. That's going to be it pretty much.

--des

Rouen
02-12-2008, 06:02
...She carried a dog first aid kit (tiny) and a small roll of emergency food and tiny foldable dog dish. That's going to be it pretty much.
--des
I can't imagine there'd be room for much else in the paniers on the smaller packs.make sure you put everything in something waterproff(ziplock, ect.), most dogs that get hot wont hesitate to go for a swim with or without their packs on.

desdemona
02-12-2008, 19:27
I can't imagine there'd be room for much else in the paniers on the smaller packs.make sure you put everything in something waterproff(ziplock, ect.), most dogs that get hot wont hesitate to go for a swim with or without their packs on.

It's a good idea! I don't think Torie will take a plunge, given the limited no. of places to do so. However, I still have the roll of food wrapped up so it can be rewrapped and the first aid kit is just a plastic bag with various items.

I think the small pack could fit water, but it couldn't be carried upright. I changed my mind and am carrying the water. This last hike I carried a small one without (for her) and a large one with. For a longer hike I'll carry equal size waters one with and one without. My pack allows me to take water out without unpacking. If I could figure it out, I'd like to attach a water bowl to my pack in some way so I wouldn't have to repack. The folding bowls are a nuisance, but I do have one. I finally got her drinking on the trail. I give her little sips in a hard plastic bowl. She has started drinking it while being poured.

I forgot some small treats for the trail as well. Something like some doggies style trail mix.

--des

desdemona
02-12-2008, 19:29
I think the small pack could fit water, but it couldn't be carried upright. I changed my mind and am carrying the water. This last hike I carried a small one without (for her) and a large one with. For a longer hike I'll carry equal size waters one with and one without. My pack allows me to
--des

This is confusing. There doesn't seem to be a way of editing posts. But this is with and without electrolites. It's a mix that's lemon lime flavored. I doubt Torie would touch it.

--des

AlwaysHiking
02-13-2008, 18:08
It's a good idea! I don't think Torie will take a plunge, given the limited no. of places to do so. However, I still have the roll of food wrapped up so it can be rewrapped and the first aid kit is just a plastic bag with various items.

I think the small pack could fit water, but it couldn't be carried upright. I changed my mind and am carrying the water. This last hike I carried a small one without (for her) and a large one with. For a longer hike I'll carry equal size waters one with and one without. My pack allows me to take water out without unpacking. If I could figure it out, I'd like to attach a water bowl to my pack in some way so I wouldn't have to repack. The folding bowls are a nuisance, but I do have one. I finally got her drinking on the trail. I give her little sips in a hard plastic bowl. She has started drinking it while being poured.

I forgot some small treats for the trail as well. Something like some doggies style trail mix.

--des

Have you ever tried a sports bottle with Torie? My last two dogs have both drunk from the pop-up type caps. It takes some practice on their part to do it efficiently so they don't spill more on the ground than they actually consume. The other thing is, it's pretty unnatural for them and if they drink too fast they choke a bit. Again, both of my last two dogs were able to overcome this too with practice. I do this so I don't have to unpack a bowl on our breaks. I don't care for the collapsible bowls, never had much luck with them, but I bring a small aluminum bowl for water when we set up camp and they can drink at will then.

desdemona
02-14-2008, 00:46
Have you ever tried a sports bottle with Torie? My last two dogs have both drunk from the pop-up type caps. It takes some practice on their part to do it efficiently so they don't spill more on the ground than they actually consume. The other thing is, it's pretty unnatural for them and if they drink too fast they choke a bit. Again, both of my last two dogs were able to overcome this too with practice. I do this so I don't have to unpack a bowl on our breaks. I don't care for the collapsible bowls, never had much luck with them, but I bring a small aluminum bowl for water when we set up camp and they can drink at will then.

She might yet learn. I had a small hard plastic bowl and was pouring a small amt of water into the bowl and she started lapping the pouring water. Maybe we should work on this?? She might be motivated to learn this if I mixed the water with some chicken broth?

It seems a lot of dogs can do this. Torie catches treats in mid-air and I have never actually taught her this.

But has anyone taught their dog to drink from a bottle like this?

--des

AlwaysHiking
02-14-2008, 09:59
She might yet learn. I had a small hard plastic bowl and was pouring a small amt of water into the bowl and she started lapping the pouring water. Maybe we should work on this?? She might be motivated to learn this if I mixed the water with some chicken broth?

It seems a lot of dogs can do this. Torie catches treats in mid-air and I have never actually taught her this.

But has anyone taught their dog to drink from a bottle like this?

--des

My last dog could drink from the hose on my water bladder. She didn't lick the bite valve, just drank the water as it poured out. I always found though that more water got wasted that way then if she could get her tongue on the cap of a bottle.

I use Platty water bottles and keep one in each pannier of the dog pack. I love that they collapse, and their shape even when full is perfect for a pannier.

Lumber
02-14-2008, 11:25
I'm going to have to say "granite gear". They are simple in design, comfortable, and breathable. Or at least that's what the beast said(my dog) cody. They also are very cool about replacing gear that gets worn out.

AlwaysHiking
02-14-2008, 11:29
I'm going to have to say "granite gear". They are simple in design, comfortable, and breathable. Or at least that's what the beast said(my dog) cody. They also are very cool about replacing gear that gets worn out.

I had a granite gear for one of my dogs. Do you find that the pack doesn't ride well if it's not full? No way of compressing the load no matter what I tried. It only rode well under a full load and that only works the first few days until consumables are used up. Any experiences like that with your GG?

disquegolfer
02-14-2008, 16:51
I did a bunch of research and discovered a company called Wolf Packs that makes a pack called the Banzai. They have some great testimonials (and the pictures are cool). I wondered if anyone had any experience with these.

AlwaysHiking
02-15-2008, 04:34
I did a bunch of research and discovered a company called Wolf Packs that makes a pack called the Banzai. They have some great testimonials (and the pictures are cool). I wondered if anyone had any experience with these.

I borrowed a Trekker from a friend for a while. I really liked the quality and build of the pack. I believe they're pulling the Trekker from their line, but I know the Banzai is supposed to be even better.

The only think I thought was a negative for the Trekker was the width of it and the lack of compression.

Nomad94
02-25-2008, 14:10
I have tried 3 packs for my hound (retired racer):

Kelty Chuckwagon- Well-made, rode forward a bit. Bonus bear bell!! It was the proper size and adjusted correctly. Had to check too often for my taste- liked the fit 90%, but ultimately not satisfied. Though minor, I could not realistically pick up my 70 lb girl with the handle due to the forward shifting.

Outward Hound (lg red one)- Less well made than the Kelty. Larger capacity. Pack is built onto a detachable nylon vest which is nice. I liked the fit better than the Kelty, though. Could pick her up (velcro held at 70), but would not trust. Did not like that there were no horizontal dividers in the long pockets to keep gear from moving back towards her mid-section. Harder to keep balanced than others which is why I no longer have it. Nice pack to gauge a pup's reaction-- I like the underlying vest more than the pack.

Ruffwear Approach II-- Best pack I tried for her. Well thought-through. Snug fit. Can pick her up w/no strap slide (no mean feat for the long girl). Under-buckles cinch on the side-- *very important*, you can cinch them down w/o worrying about the skin/fur getting caught in the middle underneath (either in the slider or buckle). ***Fleece strap cozies-- great & necessary***. The neoprene harness is snug w/two attachment points (rear nylon loop looks a little suspect for a big puller-- could be wrong here). Load balancing is easy due to the shape of the pockets. Middle of the road capacity, but my max target for her is ~8lbs. Worth the extra ~$20.

Fit is all important.

Good luck.

Mercy
02-25-2008, 15:59
Ruffwear also makes the Palisades Pack™ II (http://www.ruffwear.com/Palisades-Pack-trade-II?sc=2&category=13) which has the same harness as the Approach II, but allows you to remove the pack easily with two clips in forward top of the harness, and one clip aft, and velcro that keeps the pack from sliding on the harness. I unclip the pack at every stop that I put my pack down, and a few where I keep mine on!

It has compression straps.... One large pocket on either side, one smaller pocket on each side of the larger pocket, one little pocket on top on either side, all of which I like.

It also has a "hydration compartment" on the part of the pack closest to the body on either side, with mylar type bladders that easily pull out. I keep them pulled out, as I don't use them. I carry water for both of us, as well as both of our food. My dog carries the tent... fly and ground cloth on one side, tent body on the other. She carries the tent stakes, I've got the poles. It is easier for me to do it like this, since her pack is easier to keep properly weighted like that. When carrying water or food, the weight is always changing, and you constantly have to rebalance. And with her carrying the tent, I don't have to go into my pack in the rain...

I think it is easier for her, too... the bulk doesn't shift, and is pretty light.

I have put a couple of flat things in the hydration compartment, like a couple of emergency blankets.. though I've never really figured out what I wanted to put there...

I put my chapstick in the top of her pack, where it is real easy to get too... and misc little stuff I might not want to dig for.

I've got the Approach II and the Pallisades II, and use them both, but I like the Pallisades better for hiking...

Frau
02-25-2008, 21:19
Nomad--

I checked the Ruffwear website Mercy posted. I don't see the fleece strap liners/cozies you mention. Where are they, do you know? Or can they just not be seen in the photos?

Frau

Mercy
02-25-2008, 22:49
Frau,

The Pallisades II has identical strap covers that the Approach II has. By the way, I throw the covers in the washing machine sometimes, too.

The packs are on the same harness configuration...same straps, covers, webbing, etc. The packs are different, and the Pallisades pack unhooks from the harness...

Mercy

desdemona
02-25-2008, 23:27
Nomad--

I checked the Ruffwear website Mercy posted. I don't see the fleece strap liners/cozies you mention. Where are they, do you know? Or can they just not be seen in the photos?

Frau

I haven't seen any pix that really do it justice, but the fleece straps, padding goes under the dog. There do not seem to be any rough spots, at least that I could find.

It's great also if you pick your dog up by the straps. This has been a great thing. She is much better about being picked up by the handle. It also keeps YOU balanced. (Of course, she only weighs 20 lbs or so.)

I also think that a pack (even though it holds little in her case), keeps the dog focused. She knows she is on the job (Corgis are a working breed, though.)

--des

Frau
02-26-2008, 00:43
I figured I was simply not able to see the fleece. AND, chances are I will NOT be lifting a 70 pound dog by a handle. I have a very cheap pack that we found used at a flea market, for $5. I figured $5 was a cheap way to see if Win would tolerate the pack. He did fine, but we had to replace a buckle which then broke. At least we know he will wear whatever more expensive one I get him.

Frau

AlwaysHiking
02-26-2008, 09:24
Palisades on sale, 31% off.

http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/search?vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH&query=ruff&x=0&y=0

Mercy
02-26-2008, 09:46
FWIW,

My 70 lb (English) labrador retriever wears a medium.

Wt of empty Pallisades II 2lb 1.8 oz w/o mylar hydration bags
Previously recorded wt was closer to 2 lb 1 oz. Don't know what was different then....
Hydrations bags are 2 oz ea (I don't use them)

Wt of empty Approach II 1lb 3.6 oz

desdemona
02-26-2008, 10:29
I figured I was simply not able to see the fleece. AND, chances are I will NOT be lifting a 70 pound dog by a handle. I have a very cheap pack that we found used at a flea market, for $5. I figured $5 was a cheap way to see if Win would tolerate the pack. He did fine, but we had to replace a buckle which then broke. At least we know he will wear whatever more expensive one I get him.

Frau

I would suppose the fleece would be less chafing, but whatever works for the "pup". :-)

--des

Blue Jay
02-26-2008, 11:37
Thank you everyone for your help! IMO loving owners would never do ANYTHING to harm their dog.

Reading this thread is enlightening. Almost all of the posters are completely unaware that their dog cannot talk and tell them if the pack is harming them.
Yes, most dog people think that they would never do anything to harm their dog, however they NEVER take into consideration that they are to ignorant to know if they are or not.

AlwaysHiking
02-26-2008, 11:52
Reading this thread is enlightening. Almost all of the posters are completely unaware that their dog cannot talk and tell them if the pack is harming them.
Yes, most dog people think that they would never do anything to harm their dog, however they NEVER take into consideration that they are to ignorant to know if they are or not.

You think a dog can't communicate?

Shows how much you don't know about dogs.

Frau
02-26-2008, 18:57
I will not even grace Blue Jay's post with a response.

Fr.

Nomad94
02-28-2008, 13:15

Frau

Frau-

The handle feature-pretty impractical for a larger dog, but it can give a good indication of the fit.

The fleece is for chafing- nylon webbing can be harsh if it rubs enough. Pretty miserable stuff when wet. I believe the neoprene body of the ruffwear pack really aids the fit.

I would definitely try as many configurations and price points as possible-- the stores I have dealt w/have been fine about returning packs after a trial hike. I've noticed the difference in fit/carry as the weight increases. With little packed, they all seemed pretty good. Add a few pounds per side and hike a couple of miles- things change.

To be honest- I started w/the cheaper packs hoping they would work for me, just ended up w/the current one b/c it worked out best.

With all of them I found that loads need to be well-balanced.

I prefer consistently loading set weight objects as opposed to consummables b/c I can get the weight balanced really well. Normally I pack 'softer' items which compress and conform as opposed to harder items which can be angular or unforgiving in the event of a bump or while taking a break.

Hope this helps.

As for the squawking-
Don't know about yours, but my dog lets me know about *any* discomfort she is having. Then again, I have a good relationship w/her and she is well taken care of. I bet it is the same for you. :)

mark.k.watson
02-28-2008, 15:19
Anyone ever think about the Indians' way of moving their camps before they had horses? For thousands of years dogs packed gear on their backs and by pulling trevois (sp.) And not just a dozen pounds or so. I mean a lot of weight. An elk or buffalo hide weighs a lot. Sew several of these together, for part of a shelter, and you are adding serious weight.
Fastforward to today and we have the fitted, padded dog packs. My dog loves her's. I take it out of the closet and she knows it is time for fun. I load her with a couple bottles of water, food and collapsable dish and she is happy as a clam.
We went out for a short hike last weekend and I had to walk her through the deepest snow I could find to wear her out.
That being said Outword hound is what she wears.

Blue Jay
02-28-2008, 21:13
You think a dog can't communicate?

Shows how much you don't know about dogs.

I did not say a dog cannot communicate. I said a dog cannot talk, clearly quite different. A dog that is uncomfortable would not communicate that to it's human. Dogs will do whatever it takes to please a human it cares about. Unfortunately, as this thread clearly demonstrates, the same cannot be said for dog people who could care less if their dog is uncomfortable.

Blue Jay
02-28-2008, 21:17
I have a very cheap pack that we found used at a flea market, for $5. I figured $5 was a cheap way to see if Win would tolerate the pack.

It's VERY clear why you won't respond. You already have shown exactly how much you care about your dog. TOLERATE says it all.

doggiebag
02-28-2008, 21:33
I've done a couple of treks during the winter with the pooch carrying a loaded Kelty K9 chuckwagon. The fit is perfect and the only downside was the material used. Maybe we were just to rough on the gear but - we're at our third set of dog packs in 2 years. Good thing REI's got a great return policy.

Frau
02-28-2008, 21:37
Nomad--

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something with fleece on all strap surfaces. I prefer carrying his water and food myself, but I do like the have alternatives for those high and dry hikes and overnighters. Nessmuk suggested I get fleece seat belt covers to wrap the straps. I think finding a pack with a good fit and fleece already in place would be better. I am eyeing the Palisades and Approach that REI has on sale., but would like to see Granite Wear and Mountainsmith Packs.

Frau

AlwaysHiking
02-29-2008, 02:05
I did not say a dog cannot communicate. I said a dog cannot talk, clearly quite different. A dog that is uncomfortable would not communicate that to it's human. Dogs will do whatever it takes to please a human it cares about. Unfortunately, as this thread clearly demonstrates, the same cannot be said for dog people who could care less if their dog is uncomfortable.

Of course dogs can't talk, you're being ridiculous.

Maybe your dog doesn't communicate to you b/c you ignored or missed it's efforts and he gave up trying. Or, maybe your dog does communicate to you and you just don't know how to read it.

My dog communicates very well with me. But I pay attention to him and he knows he can trust me to get him out of an uncomfortable situation (ie. he's been playing with a kid for 15 min. and is tired, he yawns and turns his head away from the kid and starts to act disinterested, I see it, I stop the play session and make the kid leave him alone for a bit, if I miss it, or if he doesn't trust that I'll pull him out of that situation, he may feel he has no other choice but to resort to biting b/c his other forms of communication went unnoticed).

You should learn to read your dog's signs - yawns, full body shaking, scratching at his neck with his back paws, lip licking, direct or indirect eye contact, open mouth, ear position, tail position, etc... all are forms of communication and there are many more not listed. Only an inexperienced owner doesn't know this.

AlwaysHiking
02-29-2008, 02:09
I am eyeing the Palisades and Approach that REI has on sale., but would like to see Granite Wear and Mountainsmith Packs.

Frau

The only thing I didn't like about the Granite Gear I had was that the load tended to ride low or sag rather. No way of compressing or cinching it up. At least for my dog, it only rode well under a full load. It might have been the pack just wasn't right for that dog though, she was oddly shaped under her breast/chest bone.

Nomad94
02-29-2008, 10:32
Nomad--

Thanks for the info. I am looking for something with fleece on all strap surfaces. I prefer carrying his water and food myself, but I do like the have alternatives for those high and dry hikes and overnighters. Nessmuk suggested I get fleece seat belt covers to wrap the straps. I think finding a pack with a good fit and fleece already in place would be better. I am eyeing the Palisades and Approach that REI has on sale., but would like to see Granite Wear and Mountainsmith Packs.

Frau

Frau-

The front Y-straps do not come with fleece cozies on the Approach, both underbelly straps do, though. They cover the entire length under the pack. As I mentioned previously, I really like that the straps buckle on the side of the pack, not underneath. Easier (& safer, imo) to cinch.

Good luck w/your selection & please send your impressions of whatever pack you get.

Airblazer
03-14-2008, 15:22
BTW, strictly on the pack. The Ruff wear runs rather large imo.

--des

It does1 I just got 2 small pallisades packs & they are way to big for my beagles, despite them fitting w/in the listed specs. I'm bummed. Anyone got any recommendations for smaller dogs?

They do however seem to have great customer service & they told me they have a few new packs coming out April 1st.

AlwaysHiking
03-14-2008, 16:25
It does1 I just got 2 small pallisades packs & they are way to big for my beagles, despite them fitting w/in the listed specs. I'm bummed. Anyone got any recommendations for smaller dogs?

They do however seem to have great customer service & they told me they have a few new packs coming out April 1st.

Same thing I experienced. I ordered a medium for my dog. He fits within the size range. He wears a large in their overcoat. The medium was WAY too big. So I returned it for a small and it's still too big. I was really excited about it too b/c it was on sale at REI.

Not sure why the discrepancies in their products, I would think the sizing would be similar from one product to the next.

Maybe just not the pack for me, er, for my pup.

desdemona
03-15-2008, 13:37

I'd suggest maybe that this is an item (unless you have a sort of a generic sized dog like a lab), that you get in person. I got mine at a store here. A Corgi is anything but generic sized, with the long back and short legs. I was able to try the pack on the dog, and the folks have even helped me as I had teh pack on wrong. (it's a great store).

BTW, packs have been popular with non-hiking dogs. Some trainers have been recommending them as they keep the dog "working" and focused.
In fact, I think 90% of them sold are being used for dog training, and not hiking.

The pack has been a god send. I have been able to pull her over lots of stuff, that I would have had difficulty doing before. Consequently I have been able to take her scrambling with me.

--des

AlwaysHiking
03-15-2008, 15:20
I'd suggest maybe that this is an item (unless you have a sort of a generic sized dog like a lab), that you get in person. I got mine at a store here. A Corgi is anything but generic sized, with the long back and short legs. I was able to try the pack on the dog, and the folks have even helped me as I had teh pack on wrong. (it's a great store).

Is that a local store or a chain store? REI used to allow dogs in their stores then last year they stopped doing that. I don't know of any other stores that have dog packs on site. Well, except for PetSmart, but I wouldn't buy one of their packs.

desdemona
03-16-2008, 01:25
Is that a local store or a chain store? REI used to allow dogs in their stores then last year they stopped doing that. I don't know of any other stores that have dog packs on site. Well, except for PetSmart, but I wouldn't buy one of their packs.

Oh yeah, that's bad. I forgot REI doesn't allow the dogs in anymore. This was a local store that is mostly whole pet food type. The guys are very nice nice and crazy about Torie.

We have several small pet stores not in chains, but maybe some places don't. The packs at Petsmart are awful-- same for Petco.

--des

Frau
03-16-2008, 08:41
I have found the better packs only at privately owned outfitters in my part of the state. MRO, Blue Ridge Outdoors, Rockfish Gap Outfitters, Back Country. Never seem to find the right size in the right pack, in the store, though.

Frau

UberPest
03-16-2008, 11:44
I've used the Pallisades II pack, Approach II pack and the Wolf Packs Reflector pack extensively. I got another Catahoula last weekend (my 4th overall, my second current dog). Tomi (my new boy) and Beau (my "flagship" dog) both wear a Medium in Ruff Wear and Wolf Packs. I currently only have the Ruff Wear packs (My brother has one of my old Ruff Wear packs for his Catahoula, Jake, a brother to Beau). I purchased a Medium Approach II for my parents' Catahoula, Arie. Arie and Jake only do day hikes with their families, but Beau has done weeklong trips with me. I'm hoping to take Tomi out with us as well.

I want to see what the new Ruff Wear packs will be like, but I also wanted to stick with a sure thing-- the II packs fit Beau very well and I'm happy with them. I also wanted the option of swapping packs on the boys during a hike if I need to (Tomi is almost 2 and Beau is almost 8). I figured this way the harnesses would be adjusted to the individual dog, but the packs themselves could be traded in minutes.

In the past I made several backpacks out of horse saddlebags-- the kind that fit over the saddlehorn/pommel. I added straps across the chest and under the belly. Once I got really good packs for my crew I gave the saddlebags to a local trainer who trains assistance dogs through a prison. Like an earlier poster said, it gives the dogs a feeling of doing something, so they have a better attention span. Even on the trail they tend to mind better when they're wearing a pack than when they're just walking along.

Frau
03-16-2008, 16:42
ÜberPest--
This is a little off topic, but can you share a little about the Catahoula as a trail/working dog, and in-the-home pet. My hunch is they are very smart and independent.

I am guessing because they have not been over-bred, that they do not have many of the health problems other breeds have.

Thanks,

Frau

AlwaysHiking
03-16-2008, 18:59
ÜberPest--
I am guessing because they have not been over-bred, that they do not have many of the health problems other breeds have.

No offense, but you don't know much about genetics do you? Be happy to talk to you about them off this thread if you're interested, send me a PM.

Frau
03-16-2008, 19:35
Re genetics--I know that breeds that have been indiscriminately bred (over-bred) solely for profit have ended up with many more physical problems, e.g. hip dysplasia, retinopathy than much less popular breeds. I have two such dogs. My third dog is from an unsung breed. When locating a pup of this breed I had many fewer concerns about inherited problems. The breed club does not seek to advance its popularity for this reason, among others.

Genetics is not my forte', but a look at the statistics comparing popularity and inherited disorders is enlightening. My thanks to all you experts who compile all this info for us prospective owner/companions.

The Catahoula is also an unheralded breed. I am just enquiring about it from an owner, rather than relying on what others write about it.

Frau

desdemona
03-16-2008, 22:38
Once I got really good packs for my crew I gave the saddlebags to a local trainer who trains assistance dogs through a prison. Like an earlier poster said, it gives the dogs a feeling of doing something, so they have a better attention span. Even on the trail they tend to mind better when they're wearing a pack than when they're just walking along.

I have noticed a big difference, she is way more focused. It isn't because she is carrying so much. Obviously as a vertically challenged (don't call her little ;) ) dog, she couldn't and the pack is pretty small anyway. But it provides a great handle and I wouldn't go without it anymore. She changes to the working dog is was bred to be.

Most US dogs are bored to eating too much and destroying furniture and all sorts of diseases that their owners have. I think a trail dog has something to do.

BTW, the Catahoula is an interesting breed. National Geographic channel had an interesting series on dogs and that breed was discussed. It was described (I think) as a natural breed. There aren't many of those.

--des

kiwi
03-17-2008, 13:22
as an FYI....the VA-Fairfax REI will allow animals in the store STRICTLY to test out backpacks. we did this about 6 weeks ago for our youngest.

AlwaysHiking
03-17-2008, 16:02
as an FYI....the VA-Fairfax REI will allow animals in the store STRICTLY to test out backpacks. we did this about 6 weeks ago for our youngest.

No fair! I begged them the other day and they wouldn't let me. So we went down to the pet store at the opposite end of the shopping center and didn't find anything.

I'll have to try it again. Maybe on a day or at an hour they're not so busy.

kiwi
03-18-2008, 14:10
No fair! I begged them the other day and they wouldn't let me. So we went down to the pet store at the opposite end of the shopping center and didn't find anything.

I'll have to try it again. Maybe on a day or at an hour they're not so busy.
we went on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and they were very very slow. that probably had something to do with it. it was also raining outside.

Jail Break
03-18-2008, 14:23
I use an Outward Hound pack for my dog. I've had it for 8 years and it holds up great.

UberPest
03-18-2008, 23:19
ÜberPest--
This is a little off topic, but can you share a little about the Catahoula as a trail/working dog, and in-the-home pet. My hunch is they are very smart and independent.

Thanks,

Frau

This is rather long, and may be construed as a ThreadJack. If it is, please (MODS) edit/move it as you feel necessary.

The ones I've had or my family has had (I had Lucy, ACD x Catahoula, Tommy T., Beau and Tomihawk. My parents have Arie and my brother has Jake) have not been particularly independant. Beau, Lucy, Tomi, Arie, and Jake have been velcro dogs that respond well to commands. Tommy, once he recovered from his abuse (he was a rescue, as was Lucy. Arie just made it to his forever home due to his past owners' health problems) was very people-oriented, but not velcro. Tommy has been gone since December '04 and Lucy since August '07.

All these dogs are good at "go" commands and working at a distance from the owner. They've all needed clear and firm guidance because they are a working breed.

The HD rates for the breed are NOT good. Depending on how the stats are collected they are as "low" as 1 in 5 with some form of HD (perhaps mild in one hip) or as high as 1 in 3. There has been improvement in the years I've been involved with the breed (1996 to present). When I first got involved in the breed they were around #9 on the OFA rankings, but now are down to #22. By contrast, the German Shepherd has fewer HD affected dogs, however the Catahoula has more OFA excellent hips (by percentage of dogs tested). One issue with HD is that it's polygenetic, so dogs with no radiographic or clinical evidence may still pass it to their offspring.

They have other health problems as well, but those are mostly related to the merle gene and with proper breeding practices can be avoided.

The rest of this post is what I've posted elsewhere in response to a similar question.

Tomi's is about the same height, but not as heavy as Beau. I've had them since 1996, so that's a big contributer to what I take on the trail. I originally had Lucy and Tommy T. as rescues, then when I got Beau I wanted a dog that I could take hiking, use to protect the chickens/ducks/geese I had at the time, watch the house, not eat my neices and nephews, and not be embarrassed to take in a show ring. Beau has been exactly that.

As for the breed on the trail--I like a dog that is somewhat an independent thinker, but will also listen to me. This is because I often encounter obstacles on the trail where I have to turn Beau loose to find his way through things. Once he's past an obstacle, he needs to wait for me on the other side. Most herding dogs are this type of brainy obedience.

I also hike (or did until I moved to S. Indiana) in black bear country, and I always thought a dog that would help make a great deal of noise to scare off a bear would be a help. Since one of the original purposes of the breed was to tree bears, Catahoulas again seemed like a good choice.

The pros of the breed on the trail is the short coat doesn't pick up much debris or moisture (bred to live in the bayou, they're usually a little oily), good feet (Beau's are tight, working dog feet), and a naturally protective demeanor.

The negatives are (but not limited to) prey drive-- they are bred to chase and tree or kill raccoons and squirrels, plus trail hogs, deer, and bear. Beau loves to chase skunks, though he's learning they are NOT kitties and will NOT play nice like his kitties do (he's good with familiar cats, but many are never good with them). He doesn't seem to worry much about rabbits, but his 3/4 brother Jake (my brother's dog) LOVES to chase them. Most, if not all, have some level of same-sex aggression, which can be very dangerous if you aren't prepared for it (or really, even if you ARE).

A "neither good nor bad" trait is that they "smile" when they are happy or when they are greeting you. Tomi does this a LOT and sometimes includes showing his teeth. Some people might mistake this for baring teeth/aggression. It's NOT the same at all--his cheeks curl up like a Samoyed's do while he does this. Supposedly its wolf behavior (a friend with Chesapeakes says they do it, too).

Beau is a four-legged vacuum and will eat ANYTHING. None of my others my family has had have been like that. I had to work hard to teach him not to take food from people's/kids' hands without my permission. Some are overprotective, but on the trail I tend to listen to the dog on how "nice" strangers are. The short coat is a problem in cold areas of the country-- I need to carry something to keep Beau warm. I've never needed to put booties on him, though I did moleskin a cut he got once from erosion control plastic. Lucy needed booties (she was a Catahoula/ACD mix).

They're definitely one of those breeds that needs a minimum of 1 hour of hard exercise a day or they get into trouble. Mom and Dad's new boy, Arie, had to leave his original home not because they didn't love him (they loved him VERY much) or becaue he wasn't a good dog (he went to a lot of obedience classes and is great in public), but because he had so much energy he'd jump up. He knocked his previous owner--a woman in her 70s-- over and hurt her BAD. Now that he's playing with my Dad for a couple hours a day he doesn't have the jumping up problem any more.

They're definitely a breed that needs a job, and Beau definitely has a different attitude when we're out for a walk vs. a walk with his pack on.

One thing to make absolute sure of (if you don't get a rescue) is the breeder of the dog tests for hip dysplasia. Of course, even with testing it may crop up, but there's a high incidence of HD in the breed. Some lines are known to produce sound hips.

Frau
03-19-2008, 06:39
Thanks, Überpest,
Just what I wanted to know. I am surprised by the HD stats, but really, we need to check all the sires and dams of all breeds before we buy. We still have no guarantees. I have a rescue lab (who smiles) w/mod HD and a loose ACL, and a Rottie with mod HD on one side. Thank goodness for one healthy trail dog, the GWP.

On topic, I have him carry his back (water) when we are hiking high and dry. He does no running then. When on the AT and other busy trails, I keep the leash handy. On less heavily traveled trails he ranges up, down back and forth. He doesn't get into trouble, but certainly benefits from an hour's running every day.

The pack I was trying on him had a buckle broken when I got it. We repaired it twice. His wirey hair is, of course, dry and I am concerned about hair breakage. For that reason I have asked about the fleece covers for straps. I plan to hike at Otter Creek Wilderness in June and don't want to have to carry HIS pack because it has damaged his hair.

Thanks for all the Catahoula info.

Frau

bayinghounds
04-14-2008, 19:51

I haven't personally used the Banzai but I've heard really great things about them. Don't know if you've seen this, but you might like to check it out... http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal%20Companion%20Gear/Dog%20Packs/Wolfpacks%20Banzai/Owner%20Review%20by%20Calvin%20Deiterich/

mtnkngxt
04-24-2008, 07:54
I hike with my beagle and plan on training my new lab puppy to hike with me as well. The wolfpacks are very nice, and I have been using them for awhile. I had one for my great dane for our woods walks. Because of her immense size I never took her on the AT, but it did the job to carry 4 pnds of food and 2 quart of water. Quick thread jack that guy is a tool for making that dog carry so much.

desdemona
04-24-2008, 23:28
I hike with my beagle and plan on training my new lab puppy to hike with me as well. The wolfpacks are very nice, and I have been using them for awhile. I had one for my great dane for our woods walks. Because of her immense size I never took her on the AT, but it did the job to carry 4 pnds of food and 2 quart of water. Quick thread jack that guy is a tool for making that dog carry so much.

LOL! Of course, Great Danes are the weight of quite a good size man (with none of the other inconveniences :) )

--des

CascadeLiberationOrg
07-11-2012, 16:22
I've done a lot of backcountry scrambling in the Cascades with two corgis, 21 and 25 lbs. I would never ask dogs this size to carry anything. Intereferes with bushwhacking, balance, scrambling, endurance, and maybe cooling. The load they can carry is small. I've not looked closely at dog backpacks, but those I've seen do not meet the standards of ergonomics and light weight that I insist on for myself.

OhDubiousOne
01-07-2013, 13:40
I agree with crumbsnatcher about that pack.

I use a small size kelty chuckwagon, and considering buying an RW approach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/rouenduck/Dingo/Picture143-2.jpg
After much searching I just bought my little guy Ruffwear's Approach pack. I would have much rather purchased the Singletrak pack, but they only made the Approach pack in his size (xxs). I would have preferred the Singletrak because I do NOT plan to stuff his saddle bags with a ton of weight, and the more streamlined bags would have been nice for us. That aside, all of their packs are very well made and have so many more adjustment points, are better balanced, have little to no extra dangling strap even when tightened to their smallest, and lots of cushion. If you are considering trying a cheap-o pack instead just put that thought out of your mind. You definitely get what you pay for in dog packs. I will post some pictures later for everyone. Hope this helps!

FarmerChef
01-07-2013, 15:25
I use a prior year model of the REI classic dog pack for my Alaskan Husky. If she weren't a working breed I'm not sure that I would use it but since she can't pull anything while we're on the trail (except for us, which she does when we're going uphill) we give her something to carry. Only a couple baggies of food - we carry the water. The handle has come in handy a few times as we've needed to lift her (55 pounds) up a challenging style or up a rock face she can't quite climb. The nice thing about it is the straps help distribute the lifting force (usually one person pushing up from below as well) and balances the lift point in the middle of the dog. We also use it as our "short leash" when we encounter others on the trail.

Love the booties dubiousone. Which brand are you using?

burrito
01-08-2013, 10:43
I haven't personally used the Banzai but I've heard really great things about them. Don't know if you've seen this, but you might like to check it out... http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal%20Companion%20Gear/Dog%20Packs/Wolfpacks%20Banzai/Owner%20Review%20by%20Calvin%20Deiterich/

my rhodesian ridgeback 'salsa' has the banzai pack , i cant speak for her , but i think its a great pack.
i, ve used other packs on my dogs , but this one is the best i've tried so far.
you can see it in action this spring when salsa and i do our thru, starting at springer18876

d3v
01-10-2013, 13:38

Hi, I'm currently searching for all the user-feedback I can get regarding the wolfpack banzai but unfortunately this URL is dead. Can you somehow let me know what the article said about the pack?
thanks in advance!

ktest
12-02-2013, 20:28
Bump!

My dog gets really hot when hiking. Other than just not using a pack (the game plan for scorching days), I've been looking at packs with mesh back panels (like the REI packs). Any suggestions for other packs that might be cooler than sticking her in a neoprene sleeve?