PDA

View Full Version : pre-paid credit cards

ChadFromOhio
02-08-2008, 18:09
Has anyone used pre-paid credit cards or VISA gift cards on their thru-hike? I like the idea of the convenience and security of credit cards / bank cards but have an aversion to banks and do not want a bank account. Do small businesses accept them? I've accepted them as payment from customers at work and they seem to work exactly like any other credit card. Does not having a name on them to match up to an ID pose problems? Are there any hidden fees associated with using pre-paid or gift cards? Thanks for any advice.

Survivor Dave
02-08-2008, 18:16
I have used them as gifts. There are 2 issues. If you want cash, and if they are lost/stolen. They are difficult to prove ownership, so they are impossible to relplace. I don't believe you can get cash since there are no PIN numbers to use. I'm not sure about the internet usage. I think you need the 3-4 digit code to verify whatever that you have on a CC or debit card.

If it were me, in your situation, I'd use Travelers Cheques, IN LARGE TOWNS, as small towns sometimes don't know what the flip they are.

Good luck!

SD

Has anyone used pre-paid credit cards or VISA gift cards on their thru-hike? I like the idea of the convenience and security of credit cards / bank cards but have an aversion to banks and do not want a bank account. Do small businesses accept them? I've accepted them as payment from customers at work and they seem to work exactly like any other credit card. Does not having a name on them to match up to an ID pose problems? Are there any hidden fees associated with using pre-paid or gift cards? Thanks for any advice.

Lone Wolf
02-08-2008, 18:19
LOTS of businesses on or near the trail do not accept credit cards

Appalachian Tater
02-08-2008, 18:27
I was given a couple of AmEx gift cards for Christmas. They should be treated like cash. When you swipe, you choose the credit card option, not debit or anything else. The problem is when you get down below $5 and want to spend it, most cashiers don't know how to take two types of payment, so you end up with these little balances.

If you have such an aversion to banks, just carry cash, and keep it in a safe place on your person, as you usually do.

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2008, 18:28
Has anyone used pre-paid credit cards or VISA gift cards on their thru-hike? I like the idea of the convenience and security of credit cards / bank cards but have an aversion to banks and do not want a bank account. Do small businesses accept them? I've accepted them as payment from customers at work and they seem to work exactly like any other credit card. Does not having a name on them to match up to an ID pose problems? Are there any hidden fees associated with using pre-paid or gift cards? Thanks for any advice. i like to use american express travelers checks. they cost one doller per hundred dollors, excepted all of the trail. i buy books of 50.00 checks mostly, and a few books of 20.00 checks... i buy about 5,000.00 in checks for thru-hikes. they are insured too in case their lost. put them in a bounce box and get to them every now and again. ALOT BETTER THAN DEBIT CARDS, THEY WILL CHARGE YOU 2-4 DOLLORS EVERY TIME YOU USE THEM. GOOD HIKING.

Kirby
02-08-2008, 18:42
LOTS of businesses on or near the trail do not accept credit cards

Does this also apply to debit cards as well? It seems that a lot of businesses that don't take credit, also don't take debit.

Thanks,
Kirby

Footslogger
02-08-2008, 18:53
Does this also apply to debit cards as well? It seems that a lot of businesses that don't take credit, also don't take debit.

Thanks,
Kirby

===================================

A Debit Card was my main source of cash during my thru in 2003. Never tried to use one in a restuarant but but generally bought my groceries with one and requested CASH BACK as part of the purchase (as I needed it).

Also ...the Post Offices along the trail will take a Debit Card and they too (providing they have cash on hand) will give you CASH BACK if requested.

'Slogger

turtle fast
02-08-2008, 18:55
Visa has gift cards as well...but you have to treat them like cash....also as mentioned before once your card gets low its a pain to use it as many businesses don't like running visa transactions for less than $10 as the fees carged to them by visa eats into any profit....better use the card at a walmart or larger grocery and charge the exact amount you have left on the card...then pay the rest in something else.

Terry7
02-08-2008, 19:19
I have been using a debit card for 8-10 years now and have never had a problem. Its a master card and eveybody takes that. You can get cash back at any super market.

fiddlehead
02-08-2008, 21:26
I've heard that AAA has a card now that you prepay and acts like an ATM card.
Never tried it though.

shoe
02-09-2008, 00:36
I find the problem with the prepaid credit cards are:
If your total is 12.43 and you only have 12.00 on your card and don't tell the cashier to split the payment it will deny the card.

I run into this all the time at Target. You have to know the balance on your card all the time to the penny.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 01:10
Cash is a universal language understood by all.

Tennessee Viking
02-09-2008, 02:01
Depends on the card. You can pick them up at most gas stations, grocery stores, and drug stores. The bad thing is that some are not debit/ATM capable. So if the store doesn't take cards, and you need cash, you are screwed. There are some that are ATM capable like Green Card. The other down fall is that some companies will charge a per usage fee, monthly fee, or high withdrawl fee.