PDA

View Full Version : Directions To Overmountain Shelter

HeadiesHiker11
02-08-2008, 19:39
I did a really slow and laid back trip one weekend got on the trail at 19E in Tennessee and got off the trail at the Overmountain Shelter after spending a night there i know haha it was only about 8 miles but it was not meant to be about the miles but the views from big hump and little hump.

When our group got off the trail we took a service road that was not even a mile or 2 long all down hill to a parking lot i was wondering if anyone had directions to this parking lot to make a nice day hike to the balds without having to be droped off at 19E.

Bootstrap
02-08-2008, 20:16
I think you want to take Roaring Creek Road (off of 19E) all the way to the end.

Jonathan

Miss Janet
02-08-2008, 21:09
Roaring Fork dead ends and you can see the barn from there.

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2008, 21:55
start at springer mountain and take a right turn at mile marker#376.8 CANT MISS IT.

Hotrod
02-08-2008, 23:36
start at springer mountain and take a right turn at mile marker#376.8 CANT MISS IT.

Question:

If I arrive in Damascus, have I gone too far? I tried to follow your directions, but I never saw the sign with 376.8 on it.

Jerm
02-08-2008, 23:55
if i am not mistaken, the street sign for roaring creek road might be missing. last time i drove up there, dec. 2006, it was. but there is a sign i believe that says roaring creek church that marks the turn.

Tennessee Viking
02-09-2008, 01:53
I did a really slow and laid back trip one weekend got on the trail at 19E in Tennessee and got off the trail at the Overmountain Shelter after spending a night there i know haha it was only about 8 miles but it was not meant to be about the miles but the views from big hump and little hump.

When our group got off the trail we took a service road that was not even a mile or 2 long all down hill to a parking lot i was wondering if anyone had directions to this parking lot to make a nice day hike to the balds without having to be droped off at 19E.I was just up there. There is some snow in the wooded areas. The trail in between Little Hump and Hump is a bit mucky from the recent storms. Wearing shoes with a bit of traction.

Its not hard to find but its a drive. From the town of Roan Mountain head into North Carolina on 19E. Go thru Elk Park, and turn at Cranberry still following 19E. You will go through Cranberry Gap, and around the Humps. You will go through communities like Minneapolis. You will see a small sign for the Roaring Creek community. Turn up Roaring Creek Road. There are a couple forks in the road with no signing. But if you stay with the main road and take the right fork, you will soon come to a gravel road on the right side of the valley. Its graded, but take it slow and some mudholes. After a mile or so, you will come to a large turn out with a locked forest gate. Park here. Here you have two options. You can either follow the forest road for under a mile to the Barn shelter, or you can take the posted Overmountain Victory Trail which will take you straight to Yellow Mtn Gap.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2008, 08:13
Question:

If I arrive in Damascus, have I gone too far? I tried to follow your directions, but I never saw the sign with 376.8 on it.
i have never heard of this damascus you talk about? its probably on the p.c.t.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2008, 08:15
Question:

hotrod yes you missed the turn! slow down and pay attention.

Flush2wice
02-09-2008, 10:05
In case the Roaring Fork road sign is down- there is a historical marker there for the Over Mountain Men.

HeadiesHiker11
02-09-2008, 12:25
Thanks for the info i will post how the trail conditions are when i go up there the views are amazing from the Hump Mountains i might also post some pictures.

moose717
10-13-2016, 08:27
I was just up there. There is some snow in the wooded areas. The trail in between Little Hump and Hump is a bit mucky from the recent storms. Wearing shoes with a bit of traction.

Its not hard to find but its a drive. From the town of Roan Mountain head into North Carolina on 19E. Go thru Elk Park, and turn at Cranberry still following 19E. You will go through Cranberry Gap, and around the Humps. You will go through communities like Minneapolis. You will see a small sign for the Roaring Creek community. Turn up Roaring Creek Road. There are a couple forks in the road with no signing. But if you stay with the main road and take the right fork, you will soon come to a gravel road on the right side of the valley. Its graded, but take it slow and some mudholes. After a mile or so, you will come to a large turn out with a locked forest gate. Park here. Here you have two options. You can either follow the forest road for under a mile to the Barn shelter, or you can take the posted Overmountain Victory Trail which will take you straight to Yellow Mtn Gap.

Thanks for these directions! 8 years after this post, they are still spot on! Spoke with a few sobos and it was a great day for a hike!