PDA

View Full Version : Bionic knee generates electricity

Rain Man
02-08-2008, 20:40
Here's a video clip news item about power generators attached to your knees. Developed by Simon Fraser University in western Canada. Still a "proof of concept" prototype.

BBC News video (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=6358896&ch=4226722&src=news)

If you watch the video, you'll hear him say that the generators do NOT cause more resistance/effort, but actually help the muscles slow down the lower leg at the precisely right time. If I understand correctly, you not only get electrical power, you also save your knees?

Rain:sunMan

TOW
02-08-2008, 21:01
So is this a generator for general use or for the body?

Shiraz-mataz
02-09-2008, 09:19
Yeah, I saw this on the local news yesterday. They were so proud of their new invention but it looked like one of the Borg from Star Trek and had to weigh every bit of five pounds or more. That's efficient...

Hmmm... "Locutus, a Borg..." That would be a cool trail name....

Bob S
02-09-2008, 14:18
Resistance is going to be a part of generating electricity, it has to, you can’t defy the laws of nature. I don’t see how they can say it would not take more work to walk with this generator on then off.

How many of you have used those hand crank generator flashlights? They take work and they generate a lot less energy then the ½ amp these things are suppose to. If they work, great, but there is no such thing as free energy when it comes to a generator.

Rain Man
02-09-2008, 17:08
How many of you have used those hand crank generator flashlights? They take work and they generate a lot less energy then the ½ amp these things are suppose to. If they work, great, but there is no such thing as free energy when it comes to a generator.

Did you even bother to watch the video and listen to his explanation?

wrongway_08
02-09-2008, 17:27
That noise is enough reason not to use it. Same noise the hand crank ones make.

Still a neat idea.

Rain Man
02-09-2008, 19:52
That noise is enough reason not to use it. Same noise the hand crank ones make.

Hey, this is a "PROOF OF CONCEPT" model only!

For those armchair critics who think it has to use new energy or else define "the laws of nature," here's another site's report on the concept--

"Call it the ultimate power walk. Researchers have developed a device that generates electrical power from the swing of a walking person's knee. With each stride the leg accelerates and then decelerates, using energy both for moving and braking. ...

"It's sort of like the way that some hybrid-electric cars produce electricity from braking."

Knee device can create free electricity from wasted energy (http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080208/ap_on_sc/power_walking.html)

wrongway_08
02-09-2008, 19:57
I wonder how earth freindly it is, Thats a lot of man made materials and chemicals used to produce it.

Would the amount of energy it produces and saves (from using a wall outlet) make up for the damage making it causes to the earth?

Not tryn to bash it, it is a cool gadget. Just wondering....

mudhead
02-09-2008, 20:13
The first "generations" are aimed at prosthetics. I would bet that green is not your most important color when it comes to a new leg. I may be wromg.

Rain Man
02-10-2008, 11:01
The first "generations" are aimed at prosthetics. I would bet that green is not your most important color when it comes to a new leg. I may be wromg.

"Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

Obviously, I think you're asking the wrong question. If you need a new leg, and you have "green" and "not green" choices of how to power the thing, might you not choose "green"?

I don't think folks needing a new leg should be presumed not to be good people who make good choices among the choices they do have.

mudhead
02-10-2008, 11:06
"Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

I think you misread my post. Three years out from a functional prosthetic. Good people? You are stretching.

Domestic violence is not even humorous.

Bob S
02-10-2008, 14:26
As far as prosthetic use, what electrical power does a prosthetic leg require? I don’t know much about them other then seeing someone walk with them. And I have not seen a lot of that. To me it would seem to require no electricity to walk?

Rain Man
02-10-2008, 18:55
As far as prosthetic use, what electrical power does a prosthetic leg require?

The one that One Leg used on his hike of the AT was computer-driven and (if I recall) battery-powered. He had trouble off and on with the electronics in his prosthetic leg.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-10-2008, 19:59
Same idea http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/08/AR2008020803269.html

Rain Man
02-10-2008, 21:41
Same idea http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/08/AR2008020803269.html

Sorry, not merely the same idea, but the same inventor/university.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-11-2008, 07:11
Sorry, not merely the same idea, but the same inventor/university.

Nothing to be sorry about, The drawing in the hard copy Post depicted a different type of brace without the large generator.