PDA

View Full Version : A car with no heat up north?

slow
02-08-2008, 21:28
What are some game plans,to and from?

Bob S
02-08-2008, 21:46
I don't understand what you are asking?

slow
02-08-2008, 22:09
I don't understand what you are asking?

Sorry,when it's so cold 20's,how do you plan in what to keep you warm for drive time ,and also for work?

Lone Wolf
02-08-2008, 22:10
huh?......

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-08-2008, 22:10
Down, lots and lots of down.

gumball
02-08-2008, 22:16
I'm sorry, I think we aren't sure what you are asking--although FD is right, down will certainly keep you warm no matter what!

take-a-knee
02-08-2008, 22:24
Why does your car not have heat? Change the thermostat, they cost five bucks. If you don't know how then you really need to learn. In REALLY cold weather you can place tin foil on the front of the heater, a bit at a time so you don't overheat the engine. You also need to check the fan clutch to see if it is working.

shelterbuilder
02-08-2008, 22:34
...sounds like the heater is shot - or by-passed. FD is right - lots of down!

River Runner
02-08-2008, 22:53
Seems an odd questions to be asked by someone with a location listed as Florida.

I'd worry about how to keep the windshield from fogging up if the heat wasn't working.

slow
02-08-2008, 22:54
Why does your car not have heat? Change the thermostat, they cost five bucks. If you don't know how then you really need to learn. In REALLY cold weather you can place tin foil on the front of the heater, a bit at a time so you don't overheat the engine. You also need to check the fan clutch to see if it is working.

Some have no money to fix or it just went out.

FL boy,may need more down....but how do you people deal with this up north?

tacode
02-08-2008, 22:55
..or you've blown a head gasket. Or there's an air pocket in the coolant system. ow long haven't you had heat? Either way, I'd get that fixed. Are you going on a long trip or just commuting?

LIhikers
02-08-2008, 22:55
My wife drives an old VW bus which has virtually no heat, even when it's working fine. Lap blankets work wonders when used with your hats and gloves and a good warm coat. Insulated cover-alls will keep you toasty too. Also, you can purchase 12 volt seat heating pads. And keep your window scraper handy so you can clear the INSIDE of the windshield when it gets reallllllllllly cold. :)

slow
02-08-2008, 23:04
My wife drives an old VW bus which has virtually no heat, even when it's working fine. Lap blankets work wonders when used with your hats and gloves and a good warm coat. Insulated cover-alls will keep you toasty too. Also, you can purchase 12 volt seat heating pads. And keep your window scraper handy so you can clear the INSIDE of the windshield when it gets reallllllllllly cold. :)

Thank you.:)

I love bug's ...great ride.

shelterbuilder
02-08-2008, 23:04
I had a problem one winter with my FAN, and could only get "flow-thru" heat when I was moving. Of course, that winter the temps were in the teens and 20's - not pleasant at all. I found the money to get it fixed ASAP, and drove with the front windows rolled down an inch to keep the windshield from icing up INSIDE! (I have an hour commute to work.)

Skidsteer
02-08-2008, 23:14

We quit drinking for a week so we could fix the heater in the car.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2008, 23:18
Slow, what kind of car is it? I learned this next question from the Car Talk Guys......what color is it?

wilconow
02-08-2008, 23:31
Why is this question being asked on White Blaze?

River Runner
02-08-2008, 23:34
Why is this question being asked on White Blaze?

For the wealth of knowledge on staying warm in the cold? ;)

Fiddler
02-08-2008, 23:41
I drove a VW bus for 8 years, no heat. Constantly scraping and wiping the windshield. My next car was a rag-top Jeep, drove it 17 years with barely enough heat to keep the windshield clear. Now I got a pick-up with halfway heat, not good but better than the last 2 cars. I'm on the south end of Chigago. If you do this all the time like I do you get used to it. But if you are used to that Florida weather you better get it fixed before you head very far North.

Blissful
02-08-2008, 23:41
Lots of layers...(like onions Just kidding.) Really layers, though it's been pretty nice in VA. And if you're cold, wear a beanie on your head.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 00:40

We deal with it my having cars with heat.

In fact my minivan has heat in it 24-hours a day. I have equipment in it that can’t be allowed to freeze or it will cost thousands.

Fix the heat, if you don’t know how, find someone that does. Heating systems in autos are really a simple thing. Doing a search on the net should lead you to a forum for auto repair that people can help. Also here in Toledo, every weekend there is a call-in radio show about auto repair problems. I would guess that most cities have one of these, call the local radio stations and ask them for the times it’s on the air and the phone number. Then there is also the local library, go get a book on auto repair.

Pay someone to fix it. If you don’t have the money, learning is free with the methods I pointed out above.

It would be fairly dangerous to drive a car with no heat to clear the windshield.

Many years ago I had a 1969 VW Bug, it did not have a lot of heat, but it keep the windshield clear. I made a very good supplemental heating system for it that worked well, in fact it was the warmest auto I ever owned.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 00:56

Something doesn’t sound right? Is it that you don’t have the money to fix it, or did it just go out? Your statement talks in the third person, it looks like you are not really asking about your car. You are being very general about the question, not specific like you are talking about a real problem you are having. It feels like a made up question?

DawnTreader
02-09-2008, 01:19
Drove till last week with no heat in my mustang. southeast michigan.. its been below zero a few times this winter. I don't have much experience fixing cars, so I bought a Chiltons manual. They have these for all cars. I figured it out.. costed like 45 bucks and my heat is kicken.... could be your thermostat, cheap repair.. could be your coolant is low.. or something is wrong with your coolant system.... you can fix it yourself... don't suffer.. what kind of car is it???

Toolshed
02-09-2008, 01:50
What are some game plans,to and from?
You will need to stay in FL. It is a a Class A felony to drive across state borders to the North with no heat. It's in your best interest to stay put.

Jimmers
02-09-2008, 02:20
I can say from experience that not all heaters are easy or simple to fix, especially if the heater core needs to be replaced. My last car I was forced to remove the steering wheel and entire dash board to get to it and replace it. Almost not worth saving the labor costs. F-ing Ford.

I'd still say it's worth it to just take the car to a mechanic and have them see if the heat is easily repaired though. It might be cheaper in the long run, and a whole lot safer too.

If you're dead set on driving without heat, at least go out and buy a windshield defogger like this one (http://www.preparedness.com/12vomiceauwi.html). It's amazing how quickly your breath alone will ice over the inside of a windshield. And maybe get an electric blanket or a heated seat cushion (http://www.comforthouse.com/winelseatcus.html) to use when you don't need the defogger. And by all means bring extra blankets, just in case.

EWS
02-09-2008, 03:21
Bum rides from friends, till you can get it fixed.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 03:24
My dad was a journeyman mechanic for GM for 32-years, and he worked on cars nights & weekends all the time to make extra money. I grew up pulling engines, transmissions and all kinds of auto repairs from a very young age. I pulled an engine out of a 1969 Barracuda once just to paint it so it would look good. At times I forget how others may see it as hard.

But still I think the heating system in cars is a very simple design. A heater core is nothing more then a small radiator with a fan blowing air over it into the passenger cabin. There are a lot more controls for the fan motor and ducting then there use to, but when you break it down to its simplest form, it’s hot water running through a radiator with a fan. Trouble shooting it one section at a time is not that hard.

mudhead
02-09-2008, 07:21

We tell the story when we are old and vow to never do it again.

F-ing Ford.

I'd still say it's worth it to just take the car to a mechanic and have them see if the heat is easily repaired though. It might be cheaper in the long run, and a whole lot safer too.

If you're dead set on driving without heat, at least go out and buy a windshield defogger like this one (http://www.preparedness.com/12vomiceauwi.html). It's amazing how quickly your breath alone will ice over the inside of a windshield. And maybe get an electric blanket or a heated seat cushion (http://www.comforthouse.com/winelseatcus.html) to use when you don't need the defogger. And by all means bring extra blankets, just in case.

FYI. Ford pickup. Ranger. Vacuum hose clogs, default mode is defrost. Nothing else.

Like if some nitwit pushes that itty-bitty hose against the manifold, and half melts it. Cut that melted section out- yeehaw- it all works again.

Could be something very simple.

You need to restrict your driving if you cannot cook your glass.

slow
02-09-2008, 08:47
Some are pretty funny.:D

I have heat ,just always wondered what other's due that dont.

Terry7
02-09-2008, 08:58

I think I know how this guy got his trail name.

MOWGLI
02-09-2008, 09:28
I had a problem one winter with my FAN, and could only get "flow-thru" heat when I was moving.

I have that going on in my Jeep right now. When I sell my house in a few weeks, I'll get the fan (or switch) fixed. Cash (and time) is tight right now.

woodsy
02-09-2008, 09:42

Dress warm

mudhead
02-09-2008, 10:38
If you have not riden in a convertible, with the top down, in winter...

jlb2012
02-09-2008, 11:21
the real btch is when you have a car without heat and you are stuck driving when its freezing rain - I had to do that a couple times in my youth - you have to drive with your head out the window to see anything

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2008, 11:38
When I was stationed in Norfolk, Va. I froze my *** off every winter on my bicycle, especially during those noreasters. I eventually started wearing an unbreathable rainsuit and skimask to make the trips bearable, but I'd be soaking wet by the time I got to the ship.
That's why I can't wait for global warming to get here. :eek:
Sorry couldn't resist.:sun

cowboy nichols
02-09-2008, 11:46
Only drive north May thru Oct.:D:D:rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
02-09-2008, 13:07
I can say from experience that not all heaters are easy or simple to fix, especially if the heater core needs to be replaced. My last car I was forced to remove the steering wheel and entire dash board to get to it and replace it. Almost not worth saving the labor costs. F-ing Ford.

I know hat you mean. Worked on my 86 mustang for 2 days trying to get that plenum cover off the heater core. Finally took a utility knife and cut the front off the plenum, took the core out pretty as you please, put the new one in and duct taped the plenum back together. Uncle Red would have been proud.

Gray Blazer
02-09-2008, 13:09
PS Thanks for the steaks.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 14:05

I felt something wasn’t right with the question when you were talking in the third person and were vague.

What do others do when the heat quits, they fix it. Why is such a common sense thing even a question??? What do you think a person would do?

Jaybird62
02-09-2008, 14:09
We quit drinking for a week so we could fix the heater in the car.
HeeeeeeHeeeeeeeeeHeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....That there is some funny stuff...

orangebug
02-09-2008, 15:41
VW's are famous for having little to no heat, whether a Type 1 (bug) or Type 2 (van).

You simply plan ahead with the right clothing for cold weather gear. Back in the day, if the weather was bad you were the only ride on the road.

rafe
02-09-2008, 15:55
VW's are famous for having little to no heat, whether a Type 1 (bug) or Type 2 (van).

You simply plan ahead with the right clothing for cold weather gear. Back in the day, if the weather was bad you were the only ride on the road.

Those old V-dubs had air-cooled engines, of course, in the back of the car. The heat was extracted from "heat exchangers" wrapped around the exhaust manifold. The hot air ducts were the rocker panels under the doors on either side, and of course these were the first things to rust out.

So on my first car (a ten year old rusted out Beetle) I got two lengths of industrial hose and hooked them right to the heat exchangers. The hoses led under the back seat into the passenger compartment. It worked great but there was no way to control the heat. If it was too hot, I had to open the windows and hang the ends of the hoses out the windows. True story. :D