PDA

View Full Version : weather in central va.

Debbie
02-08-2008, 21:49
Hi;

I'm thinking of doing a section (James River to Tye River or James River to Daleville) in mid-March. I'd like to run into some cold weather or snow, but not a blizzard. Anyone who lives or hikes in that area know how the weather is likely to be at that time? I know that's hard to answer, but can somebody estimate? I've hiked on the AT in central Va. before, but not at this time.

Debbie/SeaEagle

Blissful
02-08-2008, 23:57
Well, we've had March blizzards, but I think it was 13 yrs ago or so. Haven't had any snow in March since then that I can recall.

You'll need standard cold weather set up. Typical temps in the mtns are at least 10 degrees colder than in the valley. 20 degree bag (I like my 15 degree and I bring a silk liner). I would take a down jacket if it were me (but I hate being cold). Polypro layers for camp. Convertible pants and smartwool long sleeve top for hiking (thats' what I wear). Gloves and hat. You could get some freezing rain and sleet if it's raining in the valley (we had sleet in April in SNP). Probably no snow or minimal at that. The robins are here already, so I think it'll be an early spring. (the robins are our groundhogs). We usually get in the 50s in the valley. But since you are going for only a short amt of time, keep an eye on the weather forecast for the region. This year we've had two bouts of 70 degrees in the valley. But mid 50s (or 40 in the mtns) is probably standard with 20's at night.

Debbie
02-09-2008, 19:45
Well, we've had March blizzards, but I think it was 13 yrs ago or so. Haven't had any snow in March since then that I can recall.

You'll need standard cold weather set up. Typical temps in the mtns are at least 10 degrees colder than in the valley. 20 degree bag (I like my 15 degree and I bring a silk liner). I would take a down jacket if it were me (but I hate being cold). Polypro layers for camp. Convertible pants and smartwool long sleeve top for hiking (thats' what I wear). Gloves and hat. You could get some freezing rain and sleet if it's raining in the valley (we had sleet in April in SNP). Probably no snow or minimal at that. The robins are here already, so I think it'll be an early spring. (the robins are our groundhogs). We usually get in the 50s in the valley. But since you are going for only a short amt of time, keep an eye on the weather forecast for the region. This year we've had two bouts of 70 degrees in the valley. But mid 50s (or 40 in the mtns) is probably standard with 20's at night.

Thanks!

That gives me a pretty good idea. I'd like to see some cold weather if not snow, as I'm from Miami and very tired of 80 degrees, as strange as that might sound to anyone up north. Yes, believe it or not that can get pretty tiresome. We had one cold spell last month that registered 39 degrees for about 15 minutes, but that's about it. Right now I'm slapping mosquitos on the computer screen. I guess its all relative.

Debbie/Sea Eagle

mudhead
02-09-2008, 20:21
Don't forget, that after being down there for some time, 50*F will seem cold.

When was the last time you spent 24hrs at or below 60*F?

Debbie
02-09-2008, 20:45
Don't forget, that after being down there for some time, 50*F will seem cold.

When was the last time you spent 24hrs at or below 60*F?

Good point; probably several years ago, when I encountered some cold weather on the AT. I have dealt with cold weather and snow, but not recently. Although I think we actually stayed below 60 degrees for a whole day during that spell last month (big deal, I know).

This sounds strange, but I've found it true. The cold up north is a "different kind of cold" from what we get down here. I find I am OK in colder temps up north than in south Florida. Don't know if its humidity or what. This has its limits, of course. Anybody know why that would be?

jhomeresq
02-09-2008, 21:12
Check out www.weather.com. I love this feature, which shows, historic lows and highs along with averages for every day of the month.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USVA0659?climoMonth=3

There is the info for Roanoke. You can find this for any zip code by clicking on the "averages" box near the 36 hour forecast for any zip code.

Debbie
02-09-2008, 22:30
Check out www.weather.com (http://www.weather.com). I love this feature, which shows, historic lows and highs along with averages for every day of the month.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/daily/USVA0659?climoMonth=3

There is the info for Roanoke. You can find this for any zip code by clicking on the "averages" box near the 36 hour forecast for any zip code.

Thanks, those are helpful.

Good luck with your hike.

Sea Eagle