PDA

View Full Version : Stove Noise

skyspy17
02-08-2008, 22:17
Just read a comment about the amount of noise a stove makes. It had never occured to me before, but anybody have some stoves for me to cross off my list because of the noise factor? Been looking mostly at canister and white gas stoves.
thanks!

shelterbuilder
02-08-2008, 22:40
Just read a comment about the amount of noise a stove makes. It had never occured to me before, but anybody have some stoves for me to cross off my list because of the noise factor? Been looking mostly at canister and white gas stoves.
thanks!

If you're bothered by it, then you probably wouldn't like any of the Svea or Optimus-type stoves. They use what is lovingly referred to as a "roarer" burner, because, well, it "roars" when it's on. It almost sounds like it's ready to leave the launchpad!

Personally, I find the sound very comforting - it means that something hot and tasty is on the way! And, as someone pointed out in an old thread, when you turn it off, the overpowering silence is awesome!

ed bell
02-08-2008, 23:38
I use an MSR Dragonfly. Worst. Noise. Ever. Sounds like a jet engine. I never subject others to it. When the chips are down, and the weather turns ugly, it kicks ass every time. Life saver.

ARambler
02-08-2008, 23:43
If you're bothered by it, then you probably wouldn't like any of the Svea or Optimus-type stoves. They use what is lovingly referred to as a "roarer" burner, because, well, it "roars" when it's on. It almost sounds like it's ready to leave the launchpad!

Personally, I find the sound very comforting - it means that something hot and tasty is on the way! And, as someone pointed out in an old thread, when you turn it off, the overpowering silence is awesome!

Except at breakfast you will be called shelter ruiner. White gas stoves gradually improved, but only became ok for the whisperlite (simmerlite). If noise is an issue go canister or better, alchohol.
Rambler

shelterbuilder
02-08-2008, 23:46
Except at breakfast you will be called shelter ruiner. White gas stoves gradually improved, but only became ok for the whisperlite (simmerlite). If noise is an issue go canister or better, alchohol.
Rambler

Yes, and if you compare the two types of white gas stoves, you'll notice that they changed the burner head. The Whisperlite uses a burner that's similar in design to a Coleman stove burner head - and THEY are quiet.

Blissful
02-08-2008, 23:46
The older whisperlites are like jet engines. One weekender in the Smokies decided he would fire his up for an hour to heat everyone's water for cooking so he could use up the fuel. He was also burning gasoline (it was a whisperlite international or some old thing he had). Drove me crazy between the smell and the noise.

ed bell
02-08-2008, 23:52
RamblerThat's why I have always loved my own camp.:)

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2008, 00:10
Agree with everyone's posts, just wanted to say noisy stoves suck in the a.m., I'm not a morning person.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 00:18
I love the noise my Svea 123 makes. It’s an old friend.

I made a homemade version of the WoodGas stove wood burner, and it makes more noise then my Svea when it’s on high.

Marta
02-09-2008, 05:50
I haven't run into a white gas stove I would call "quiet."

oops56
02-09-2008, 08:44
I haven't run into a white gas stove I would call "quiet."
That mite be cause you only seen one.I got a shop full of stoves there is a lot of quiet ones.You been out on the trail to long.

Footslogger
02-09-2008, 12:23
thanks!

===============================

That's how the MSR "Whisper NOT" got it's name ...and it's NOT the loudest.

If you aren't too committed to a cannister or whitegas stove and are concerned about the noise factor ...consider an alcohol stove.

'Slogger

atraildreamer
02-09-2008, 16:05

I used My Optimus 8R Hunter stove after pressurizing it with the optional mini-pump. The resulting roaring flame from the burner reminded me of the takeoffs of the Saturn-5 Apollo moon shots!:eek:

Tin Man
02-09-2008, 16:13
Huh? Stoves make noise and some are bothered by it? What else? Should folks walk around in socks in the morning, so boot stomping doesn't bother anyone? Go into the woods to blow your nose? Why stay in a shelter if you are bothered by noise?

Wow, I thought it was just hiking. :)

Pedaling Fool
02-09-2008, 16:15
Huh? Stoves make noise and some are bothered by it? What else? Should folks walk around in socks in the morning, so boot stomping doesn't bother anyone? Go into the woods to blow your nose? Why stay in a shelter if you are bothered by noise?

Wow, I thought it was just hiking. :)
Now you know;)

Foyt20
02-09-2008, 16:30
^^^ and those dang boy scouts too!!!

Bob S
02-09-2008, 17:21
I used My Optimus 8R Hunter stove after pressurizing it with the optional mini-pump. The resulting roaring flame from the burner reminded me of the takeoffs of the Saturn-5 Apollo moon shots!:eek:

I love the sound of a Svea in the morning. :sun

Angelfire
02-09-2008, 18:38
My Optimus Climber makes a racket for sure! You don't even know an alcohol stove is "on" when it's burning. Have to be careful not to burn yourself because in daylight you can't see the flame, either.

ed bell
02-09-2008, 18:55
===============================

That's how the MSR "Whisper NOT" got it's name ...and it's NOT the loudest.

'SloggerLet me guess, the Dragonfly is the loudest.;) All the same, I do love the simmer capabilities and the ability to turn it down to a small flame for instant re-fire.

margo
02-09-2008, 19:39
I had heard all these reports about how noisy the dragonfly was so was dissapointed when I got one and fired it up. Not dissapointed because I want to make noise when I cook, it just didn't seem that noisy to me. I mean yea, there is a hissing noise but nothing that I would consider deafening.

Plus, like someone else said, it means coffee is on the way!

Panzer1
02-09-2008, 21:24
I have quiet canister stoves for warm weather and noisy white gas stoves for cold weather. The noise the white gas makes is what I call "trail noise". So many people have these noisy stoves that to complain about that just makes you a whiner.

Panzer

Tin Man
02-09-2008, 21:27
I have quiet canister stoves for warm weather and noisy white gas stoves for cold weather. The noise the white gas makes is what I call "trail noise". So many people have these noisy stoves that to complain about that just makes you a whiner.

Panzer

Actually, anyone who complains about what anyone else does at a shelter is a whiner. If you don't like what others do at a shelter, don't stay there. Period. Not a difficult concept to grasp at all.

Nest
02-09-2008, 21:36
Actually, anyone who complains about what anyone else does at a shelter is a whiner. If you don't like what others do at a shelter, don't stay there. Period. Not a difficult concept to grasp at all.

I actually like the noise of someone's stove at shelters. I hang near them for various reasons, so it doesn't bother me. The reason I like the noise is that it acts kind of like an alarm clock. The noise wakes me up, and if I want to get up I do. If I don't I can just go back to sleep. Just keeps me from sleeping all day.

Tin Man
02-09-2008, 21:41
I actually like the noise of someone's stove at shelters. I hang near them for various reasons, so it doesn't bother me. The reason I like the noise is that it acts kind of like an alarm clock. The noise wakes me up, and if I want to get up I do. If I don't I can just go back to sleep. Just keeps me from sleeping all day.

Kudos to you. I see you are a well adjusted shelter person as you should be if you want to share. Nothing wrong with that.