PDA

View Full Version : Help - 6 Day Hike Contents

GratefulHike
02-08-2008, 22:30
Kind of new to longer trips and have been trying to get my weight down. I am used to 3-5 day trips with a pack of about 50lbs. I made due with the gear I had and have been slowly purchasing newer lighter stuff. So I ask of you the people have a lot more exerience than I, can you please check out the attached spreadsheet and see where I have gone seriously wrong? I know my pack itself is the worst part, so you don't have to beat me for that.

Also, please download the spreadsheet and use if you like it. I have gotten down to weighing in grams and converting to lbs.

So my pack is 37lbs, with everything, including fuel, food and water. Does not include what I am wearing. I am going to be doing a 6 day trip in the smokies in mid march, just to give you a guage of the weather I will be working with.

Any comments welcome, I can take it. Thanks sooo much...

shelterbuilder
02-08-2008, 23:33
Kind of new to longer trips and have been trying to get my weight down. I am used to 3-5 day trips with a pack of about 50lbs. I made due with the gear I had and have been slowly purchasing newer lighter stuff. So I ask of you the people have a lot more exerience than I, can you please check out the attached spreadsheet and see where I have gone seriously wrong? I know my pack itself is the worst part, so you don't have to beat me for that.

Also, please download the spreadsheet and use if you like it. I have gotten down to weighing in grams and converting to lbs.

So my pack is 37lbs, with everything, including fuel, food and water. Does not include what I am wearing. I am going to be doing a 6 day trip in the smokies in mid march, just to give you a guage of the weather I will be working with.

Any comments welcome, I can take it. Thanks sooo much...

I know that you won't want to hear this, but...lose the liquor and the cigarettes - they both act as vaso-dialators, opening up your surface blood vessels and allowing MUCH core heat to escape.

You don't really need the saw - if it's too big to break over your knee or under your foot, it's bigger than you need to burn. (Hint: look for what the Native Americans used to call "squaw wood" - smaller pieces that can be bundled together and carried as a bundle by the "fairer sex".)

You probably don't need the GPS, unless you've entered your hike directions on it. Ditto the extra Cell phone battery (turn the phone off when you're not talking). I know that you like your tunes, but if you left the MP3 and accessories at home, you could save more weight (and space). I don't see any flashlight, but I'm assuming you have one (maybe a headlamp?) - for only 6 days, you won't need extra batteries.

Just by subtracting the items I've mentioned, you could lose almost 4 pounds...why do I get the feeling that you and I camped together recently at Bake Oven Knob shelter??

Good Luck - have fun. And 37 pounds isn't really a HEAVY pack for March!

GratefulHike
02-09-2008, 04:57
yes that is me that infiltrated your camp with the two boys and my buddy that came in after dark. It was a pleasure to meet you and I really appreciate the information you provided. I will have to make some decision on what is more important.

hope all is well with you, take care, peace

ScottP
02-09-2008, 12:17
It all boils down to personal preference. Here are my personal suggestions:

Your core stuff is reasonable, you just have a lot of extras
gatorade bottles, not nalgene bottles
get rid of the speaker with your mp3 player!
You don't need the saw
you don't need the GPS
you don't need the coolmax sheet
Ditch the extra batteries
ditch the empty nalgene
Buy a new backpack
get rid of the compression sack! Those things are heavy and they ruin sleeping bags VERY quickly!
4.7 pounds of food for 6 days? You're going to starve. 1.5-2 lbs a day should be close to right

Why, WHY, WHY would anyone filter water in the smokies? It's crystal clear, it just needs to be purified. Get a steripen or something and save yourselv 12 ounces

get a lighter leatherman

Your clothing is out of control! You need the following
medium weight base layer, a T-shirt, a good down vest/jacket, a rain jacket, a good hat, some gloves, 3 pairs of hiking socks, some hiking shorts, trail runners, and you'll probably want something for your legs (either wind pants, rain pants, or a base layer. Maybe 2 of the above)

Bring some oatmeal w/ powdered milk and dried fruit for breakfast
skip the wipes, bring a bandanna and use water. bandanna can also be your pot lifter. get rid of that camp towel as well.

Buy a lighter headlamp, unless you love night hiking