PDA

View Full Version : alcohol bottle tops?

Frozen Bait
02-09-2008, 11:42
I have been home testing a few homemade alcohol stoves lately and am ready to take a one out for a few days next weekend. I am using a small water bottle to carry the alcohol and really like using the "sport" type cap for its ease of squirting fuel into and especially for priming the stove.

I am uneasy about the bottle top leaking, especially if I loose the little protective cover.

Has anyone ever had a "sport" type water bottle cap open in their pack?
Am I being too paranoid?
Any suggestions on a better/improved cap?

Thanks

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2008, 11:49
No, you're not being paranoid. Keep your alcohol away from your food so you don't contaminate it.

kayak karl
02-09-2008, 12:40
I have been home testing a few homemade alcohol stoves lately and am ready to take a one out for a few days next weekend. I am using a small water bottle to carry the alcohol and really like using the "sport" type cap for its ease of squirting fuel into and especially for priming the stove.

I am uneasy about the bottle top leaking, especially if I loose the little protective cover.

Has anyone ever had a "sport" type water bottle cap open in their pack?
Am I being too paranoid?
Any suggestions on a better/improved cap?

Thanks
i dont trust those caps. Tater is right it can ruin food, clothes, and other stuff. i always carry fuel on outside of pack, but use a standard screw on lid and measure its capasity before u go. its about .3-.5 ounce.

Bob S
02-09-2008, 13:55
I use an old Listerine bottle as my alcohol fuel bottle. It’s very durable (going on 4-years of use with alcohol in it) it’s got a good screw on lid that I can use to measure with. And has never leaked a drop.

Any perspective bottle gets a toss test before I will use it. I fill it with water and toss it in the air as high as I can throw it and let it land on blacktop. I do this 3 or 4 times, if it doesn’t leak or break, I figure it’s camping & trail safe and use it. I want to know that a plastic bottle is going to hold up while on the trail.
I do this test for all water & fuel bottles.

atraildreamer
02-09-2008, 15:58
Heet Yellow (methanol dry gas) comes in a reclosable 12 ounce bottle.

Why not use it and avoid the chance of accidentally drinking from your fuel supply with the resultant nasty results (nausea, blindness, death...etc.) :eek:

warraghiyagey
02-09-2008, 16:00
Agreed. Screw top HEET. Never had a problem. Works great. Full bottle can last two weeks on the trail.:)

Bob S
02-09-2008, 16:11

Why not use it and avoid the chance of accidentally drinking from your fuel supply with the resultant nasty results (nausea, blindness, death...etc.) :eek:

I buy denatured alcohol in one gallon cans, its $4.50 to $5.00 a qt, &12.00 a gal. The gallon makes more sense to me.

I have a label maker, and I print out what’s in the bottle (and it’s the only thing I put in the Listerine bottle) so there is no mix up with anyone that would happen to pick it up.

I also put a few drops of blue food coloring in the Listerine bottle when I fill it up. 2-drops does it and it gives it a color so it doesn’t look like water.

I don’t see it as a safety issue doing this.

atraildreamer
02-09-2008, 16:20
I buy denatured alcohol in one gallon cans, its $4.50 to $5.00 a qt, &12.00 a gal. The gallon makes more sense to me.

I have a label maker, and I print out what’s in the bottle (and it’s the only thing I put in the Listerine bottle) so there is no mix up with anyone that would happen to pick it up.

I also put a few drops of blue food coloring in the Listerine bottle when I fill it up. 2-drops does it and it gives it a color so it doesn’t look like water.

I don’t see it as a safety issue doing this.

Buying in bulk makes sense, but the Listerine bottle could be a problem if someone sees it and thinks that it is mouthwash (Doesn't Listerine come in a blue version?) Remember what Barnum said about the stupidity of people! :eek:

Nest
02-09-2008, 16:25
I use a regular 8 oz. water bottle and carry two caps. One cap stays on the bottle all the time. The other cap I punch a small hole in the top, and put that cap in my cooking gear. When it comes time to cook I put on the cap with the hole, and have a squirt cap. I like being able to squirt it out of a small hole because I can control the flow better. When I am cold and my hands are shaking, I don't want to try pouring it out of the regular bottle into a small cap for measuring.

DG_on_AT
02-09-2008, 16:27
Here in the South, the convenience stores carry a kids drink called "Bug Juice" that comes in a small plastic bottle with a squirt cap lid. I figure the container holds about 8 ounces, which is plenty for me for a weekend or short trip.

I have the same concerns as the original poster, but I have used the container successfully 3 times with no failure. I do carry it with my stove and non-food accessories inside a sealed dry sack inside my pack. I tested it with vigorous shaking, throwing, and squeezing before taking it out for trail use. So far it has served me well and I enjoy the convenience of the squirt cap and I plan on using it on my next trip.

Give yours a good test, if it passes, pack it wisely and I think you'll come out in good shape.

River Runner
02-09-2008, 16:47
I like this 8 oz bottle with a flip top. Never had a problem with it leaking.

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=AGALFB

Bob S
02-09-2008, 17:16
Buying in bulk makes sense, but the Listerine bottle could be a problem if someone sees it and thinks that it is mouthwash (Doesn't Listerine come in a blue version?) Remember what Barnum said about the stupidity of people! :eek:

I soaked it in water to take the original Listerine label off, I label the bottle as “Denatures Alcohol Stove Fuel” with my label maker. I color it so it doesn’t look like water, My son and I are the only ones that use it, and still I’m not doing enough to make you happy. I give up. What I’m doing is safe for us as we are smart enough to read and know what is in it.

I guess you should keep using the Heat bottles and stay away from Listrine bottles.

mkmangold
02-10-2008, 01:30
Most Heet bottles sold around here are flip-tops. However, ANY gas additive bottle with a screw on top should work and is already labeled as being dangerous to drink.

atraildreamer
02-12-2008, 10:34
My son and I are the only ones that use it, and still I’m not doing enough to make you happy.

I was thinking :-? more along the lines that some newbie who didn't know enough to keep his/her hands off of other peoples equipment/supplies would try to take a drink.:eek:

If you are happy...then I'm happy! :)

Outrider
02-12-2008, 10:39
I went to a pharmacy and got different sizes of the thick plastic medicine bottles with the child proof caps. They did not even charge me. Gave me about 5 or 6. They have worked great for me.

Survivor Dave
02-12-2008, 10:57
That's a great idea. Do you use a funnel with it? The opening is pretty small. I guess you could "cone up" a piece of paper as well.

SD

Johnny Thunder
02-12-2008, 11:15
just put a few twigs in the bottle...or maybe a pinch of dirt. That's usually enough to make something look nasty enough not to be confused with drinking water.

hurryinghoosier
02-12-2008, 22:46
I use a nalgene whiskey flask. I do not use the sheath it came with. It has oz marking on the side and the lid is for measuring. It never leaks. Holds 12 fl. oz.

AT-HITMAN2005
02-12-2008, 23:04
not an alcohol problem, but...i had my msr white gas fuel bottle valve open on me and leaked most every where, but was mostly on the outside of my pack. didn't ruin anything just mad everything wet till it evaporated.

burger
02-12-2008, 23:38
I use a 16-oz. bottle that once held orange juice (it's the same size and shape as bottles of coke or pepsi). I bought the bottle on my 2006 section, used it for a couple of months on the trail, let it sit at home for a year, and used it again on my 2007 section, and it never leaked a drop. I think that just about any coke-type bottle would do fine.

Just keep it in a ziploc freezer bag on the off chance that you get a leak--I had a leak in a crappy flask that I hiked with once, but the alcohol never got out of the freezer bag.

Dances with Mice
02-13-2008, 00:17
I use a plastic "Lite" brand beer bottle, long neck style, label removed. It's double walled so it won't puncture easily. The cap holds exactly one tablespoon.

And it's safe. Nobody, not even a hiker, would drink a Lite.

Heater
02-13-2008, 01:29
I soaked it in water to take the original Listerine label off, I label the bottle as “Denatures Alcohol Stove Fuel” with my label maker. I color it so it doesn’t look like water, My son and I are the only ones that use it, and still I’m not doing enough to make you happy. I give up. What I’m doing is safe for us as we are smart enough to read and know what is in it.

I guess you should keep using the Heat bottles and stay away from Listrine bottles.

I am with you on this Bob. Plus, the Listerine bottles have the "squeeze lock" cap to keep it from unscrewing accidentally. The bottle is kind of flat so it packs nice.

CursedKarma
02-13-2008, 02:52
Just a suggestion: I only carry everclear for camp fuel. I know it cost more, but it is not poisonous. If you want to take a swig you can do that also. I use the container that came with my Trangia Mess Kit.