PDA

View Full Version : If you plan to hammock the AT...

brian
01-07-2004, 00:12
No discussion on why anyone is doing this, or what sleeping arrangement they are using, or any other off topic discussion, please:

If you plan on hammocking the AT, what brand hammock (and model), and with what "aftermarket" or homemade accessories will you use?

I just want to get a general consensus. Thanks.

Brian MacMillin
Future Thru Hiker 2013

DebW
01-07-2004, 09:28
Speer homemade hammock with 8x10 homemade silnylon tarp.

Hammock Hanger
01-07-2004, 10:10
I used a Hennessy of one kind or another from Woody Gap, GA to Franconia Notch, NH.

It can get cold if you do not have something under you that will buffer the cold. It sucks to be wet with sweat but still have a cold spine.

I have found that something that has air baffels works the best in really cold weather.

I made an underquilt that was of down, that works great. Wanting to carry something with less bulk I continued on my quest. I made an underquilt with sections that I filled with blown up and tied produce bag. That worked pretty good but I was lazy and it took top much put up time. I found a nice air mattress that works perfect, if it doesn't get a hole in it, and I have to blow it up.

The air mattress works great and has very little bulk, but be prepared to find and repair if needed, it weighs one pound and folds up nice and small. I have used it on the inside but prefer it on the outside so I sewed a pocket for it on the outside bottom of the hammock.

The down quilt is my favorite, it also weighs in at a pound but does take up precious pack space.

Once the temps were in the forties, I was comfortable with just a solar windshield screen or Zrest. Mid summer 70+ degrees I used it alone.

Also I will say that I used a 35 degree bag in the super cold, but mostly use a 45 degree down with a silk liner 90% of the time.

Just passing on some of my experience with the hammock. Enjoy you hikes. They are something you will treasure always.

Sue/Hammock Hanger:bse

Kerosene
01-07-2004, 10:30
Hennessy Ultra-light A-sym. I'd definitely consider Hammock Hanger's advice for anything below 50 degrees.

2Ply
01-07-2004, 11:17
I use the Clark Deluxe with a modified weather shield. I added a window to the weather shield so I could injoy the winter views and see what made those noises in the night (check out the photo section under room with a view). I love 6 pockets (3 on each side) so they can help retain warmth on those cold winter nights here in Georgia. I also switched to an 8 x 10 silnylon tarp for use in bad weather to replace the smaller one that came with it.

Hammock Hanger
01-07-2004, 11:22
I used a Hennessy of one kind or another from Woody Gap, GA to Franconia Notch, NH.

I truly love my Hennessy Asym!!! Not to be disloyal or anything but I think that Ed Speers PeaPod has a lot going for it. A bit expensive to buy but he is willing to give you instructions on how to make your own.

By not putting weight on the loft of the sleeping bag it works alot like my down underquilt with one less thing to carry.

However, I am just more comfy in my Hennessy.
Hammock Hanger:bse
WHAT??? My message is too short? I am being instructed to add at least 10 charaters.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm:-?

Lumberjack
01-09-2004, 05:19
For solo I use a hennessy with a homemade synthetic under quilt at 1.5 lbs - works well and is cheap to make - plan to replace it with a down one later on.

:dance

MileMonster
01-09-2004, 10:58
I've used a Hennessey Backpacker Ultralight Asym for about a year now. I will possibly use it on my AT bid this year but ONLY after it warms up. For me this means night temps in the 50's. I'm a cold sleeper and the hammock really sucks the heat from me. If I use it any colder it'll just be a heavier hassle that I, personally, don't want to deal with. I'd have to carry a thicker bag and more layers under me and/or rigged to the outside. Usually on warm trips the Hammock allows me to leave the sleeping pad behind. However, I'll be carrying a sleeping pad no matter what for shelter use, so no weight savings there. I'm gonna carry a Shires Squall w/ floor that's the same weight (2 lbs) the rest of the time. That's the plan, anyway. Plan subject to change as this will be my first thru.

bearbag hanger
01-09-2004, 12:29
No discussion on why anyone is doing this, or what sleeping arrangement they are using, or any other off topic discussion, please:

If you plan on hammocking the AT, what brand hammock (and model), and with what "aftermarket" or homemade accessories will you use?

I just want to get a general consensus. Thanks.

Brian MacMillin
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Will use my Hennessey Ultra-light A-sym for my 2004 thru hike attempt.

Use a 3/8 closed cell pad, good to about 40 - 45 degrees, added a 1/2 in closed cell pad for temperatures below 40. Not sure how well it will work (two pads for a total of 7/8 in below me) since it doesn't get cold enough down here (southern Florida) to find out. I should note, I apparently sleep warmer than most people do.

Crash
01-11-2004, 17:37

I've been using Hennessey 'Coccoon' Hammock- the original model of theirs on my section hikes. But look at several different hammocks before you buy.

JackW
01-11-2004, 18:12
Beginning on April 1, 2004, I will use a Clark Jungle Hammock (Delux Model with extra large Rain Fly). It has six pockets under the hammock for gear and clothing. Experience in the past has shown that it is warm down to 40* when using a Thermarest Pad and a down sleeping bag. We shall see.

MedicineMan
01-12-2004, 04:05
For Spring,Summer,Fall it is the HH with a variety of underquilts and maybe a foam pad cut to fit inside. These underquilts are:
1. cheap Walmart nylon and polyfill
2. aluminized sil-nyl with Radiantek sewn onto it
3. a down underquilt White Knight at yahoo groups hammock camping is
selling-mine is 3/4 length, weight unknown since it is under construction
but should be 10-12oz.
4. with any of the above I add insulation that I carry on most any hike
like the WM Flight and soon Nunatak Gear down pants

For Winter it is the CrazyCreekCrib and Ponderosa pictured here in the
Whiteblaze photo section under my folder..it has been proven to 23 degrees
and that was without no extra pad or serious clothing

Future purchase: a Speer system when he gets his down pod ready for sell. It should be obvious that I'm a gearhead but what good is gear unless it is out there in the wilds..Next month we are returning to the Everglades to sea kayak, an HH will be on the trip and I hope to sleep in a mangrove forest in it, and even in the glades an underquilt will be there. In having slept for most of the last year inside in an HH I can tell you for me with even the air conditioning on they sleep cool.

Hope that helps....