PDA

View Full Version : Water on the Pinhoti

BigwaveDave
02-09-2008, 18:42
I was up there last year, is the water situation any better?

MOWGLI
02-09-2008, 19:10
I was up there last year, is the water situation any better?

The Alabama section of the trail has considerably more water than the Georgia section. Unless we're talking about the Cohuttas.

What part off the trail are you interested in?

Cuffs
02-09-2008, 20:37
Bull Gap (current southern terminus) to Scott Lake (MM14.4) no water. Period. After that, you just need good planning, water can be found at fairly regular intervals. Good amounts of rain over the last month here.

Mountain Dog
02-16-2008, 21:35
If you know where to look, there is pretty good water south east of the microwave tower. I flaged it once but unless you knew why the flags were there, you would not follow them. There is a finger of land running east away from the trail going around the microwave tower. This is a pretty large section of land and one where you can pitch tents. South of this spit of land the treraine drops. Head south southeast till you hit the other finger of land jutting out towards the east. Where these two come together you will find water. It was dry when I found it so I had to go down the gulley a ways but it was obvious the water normally flows pretty good starting higher up. I did not go as far as I have hiked on the AT to get water at a shelter. (I use the compass directions loosely. I always picture the trail as a north south trail and give directions accordingly. Therefore, regardless of the true compass direction of the trail, anything to the right as I am hiking north becomes east to me.)