PDA

View Full Version : Smartwool baselayer - mid vs micro

Puppy
02-09-2008, 20:26
I want to get another Smartwool baselayer top because I love the one I have.....only problem is that I do not know which one I have.

They have the Micro-weight and the Mid-weight, and the pictures look the same to me online.

Does anyone have experience with these and know if there is a huge difference besides the price?

I like the smartwool due to the softness, so I would like to stick to that brand.

Thanks
Puppy

Spastic
02-09-2008, 21:29
I have both and the microweight is better for hiking and other aerobic activities, so i find myself using it when backpacking. My midweight, which is maybe twice the thickness of the micro, is really cozy but a little too heavy and warm for most 3 season use. I find i've been wearing the midweight a lot around town this winter, so i guess i'm happy to have both. If I could only get one, i'd go micro because of it's excellent layering capability.

Fiddleback
02-10-2008, 12:26
I have both and the microweight is better for hiking and other aerobic activities, so i find myself using it when backpacking. My midweight, which is maybe twice the thickness of the micro, is really cozy but a little too heavy and warm for most 3 season use. I find i've been wearing the midweight a lot around town this winter, so i guess i'm happy to have both. If I could only get one, i'd go micro because of it's excellent layering capability.

I agree. And I have both too; I hike in the light one and sleep in the (fresh) mid-weight.

FB

Roland
02-10-2008, 14:32
I want to get another Smartwool baselayer top because I love the one I have.....only problem is that I do not know which one I have.

They have the Micro-weight and the Mid-weight, and the pictures look the same to me online.
~

Puppy,

The tag holds the answer to your question. Icebreaker labels their products with a number, that is indicative of the weight of the fabric. These might range from 150, 200, 260, 320 (g/m^2).

Check the number on the garment's tag, and then reference Icebreaker's website. (http://www.icebreaker.com/site/catalog07/manwomanjunior.html?gender=woman)

wrongway_08
02-10-2008, 15:29
Micro weight, works great!

greentick
02-10-2008, 15:42
Do the micro... c'mon everyone else is.

I love mine.