PDA

View Full Version : How many miles in the year after your thru?

rickb
02-10-2008, 12:10
For those who completed a 2,000 mile thru hike on the AT:

How many miles did you backpack in the year following your first thru hike?

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2008, 13:16
2,175. :d

Mags
02-10-2008, 13:31
~400 maybe. I did the Long Trail again in 1999 (the year after my AT thru-hike)

rickb
02-10-2008, 16:34
None at all for me. Just wondering if anyone else shared my dirty little secret.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2008, 16:35
i've never slackpacked

Bearpaw
02-10-2008, 16:39
I was working in the corporate world (supervisor in a factory) so my hiking time was limited. But I got a 3-day weekend every other weekend, so I still hiked a fair bit. About half of the miles (about 200 maybe) were actually from adventure races.

Now that I teach, I average 500-750 miles a year.

Dogwood
02-10-2008, 18:26
Perhaps, U have heard of people who just can't stop walking. They complete a long thru-hike and just turn around and start hiking again to do a yo-yo. I'm one of those people. Well, I haven't done a yo-yo, but I just jump from one hiking adventure to another. It seems I've never stopped hiking. I like it that way! Hiking and the hiking lifestyle is contagious! I'm currently organizing my life to work for 6 months and than hike for 2 years.

Since my 06 thru hike:
Extensive hiking on all the major Hawaiian islands accept the Big I(Haleakala NP, etc.)
Yosemite NP
07 JMT Thru hike
07 Vermont(Long) Trl. thru-hike
Isle Royale NP
Zion NP(Subway, Virgin River Narrows, etc.)
Sedona, Flagstaff, and Phoenix AZ(Superstitions, Mt. Humpreys, etc.)
3 weeks under the rim at Grand Canyon NP
Great Smokey Mts. NP(asst. trails and loops)
Acadia NP
etc., etc., etc.

All this isn't about trying to impress anyone, just to make people aware that U can get obsessed with hiking. This also serves as a warning: once completing a thru-hike U will never ever be the same again! ENJOY THE JOURNEY!

Mags
02-10-2008, 21:27
just to make people aware that U can get obsessed with hiking.

The AT is the reason why I moved 2000 miles away from home....

I do not know how many miles year I do any more..nor do I care (do day hikes count? snowshoe trips? trail runs? ski touring? base camp with long day hikes? trail work? ). I just love to be outside and arranged my life so I can do that as much as possible. (It ain't ever enough. :) )

As a former girlfriend once told me "The outdoors for you is not a hobby...it is a lifestyle".

And I think many of us fall into that category.