PDA

View Full Version : Were Back

attroll
01-09-2004, 01:46
WhiteBlaze is back online. WhiteBlaze has been moved to a virtual dedicated server. We were very lucky and found one for only $20 more a month. It took some shopping around to find one. I hope it will prove worth it.

We are sorry about the two day delay it took to get back online. The move actually only took less then six hours. The delay was because of the domain name (whiteblaze.net). The big data base in the sky for the internet took two days to update and point to the new server.

It was a nail biting two days for me. I was praying and biting my nails hoping it would all come back together and work just as it did on the old server and it so far looks good.

I want to thank you all for being patient with me and putting up with me. Hopefully we will not have to do this again for a long time. Our goal is to make WhiteBlaze the best informational and interactive site on the internet for the Appalachian Trail community. I think we are heading in the right direction.

Enough of my ramblings. Thank you all very much for being patient and making WhiteBlaze what it is today.

illininagel
01-09-2004, 01:56
Enough of my ramblings. Thank you all very much for being patient and making WhiteBlaze what it is today.

attroll, thanks again for everything you do to support this site.

Groucho
01-09-2004, 05:32
WhiteBlaze is back online. WhiteBlaze has been moved to a virtual dedicated server. We were very lucky and found one for only $20 more a month. It took some shopping around to find one. I hope it will prove worth it.

No, thank you! Got my patches and they look great, much better than the photo. Guess I'll have to become a patch wearer. Wonder where I can get my name put on? How much do these things weigh anyway? :banana

The Old Fhart
01-09-2004, 06:38
Thank you Attroll. I don't envy your job in keeping this site up and running, must be near the top of the thankless job list! I'm sure a lot of us were bitting our nails as well waiting for our next "fix" of hiking news and views. It's easy to be critical if you don't have to do the actual work and some of us understand and appreciate the work you do.

ga>me>ak
01-09-2004, 08:25
Thank YOU for all your efforts and time to keep this site going. I was starting to go into withdrawls yesteday :)

Brushy Sage
01-09-2004, 08:59
Congratulations! Yesterday it looked like it was beyond redemption. Wonderful to see it back up and operational -- and with greater potential than before.

Mr. Clean
01-09-2004, 09:19
This site is awesome, and we all realize how much work goes into it. Send some thanks to your wife also for the time this site requires you to be away, we all appreciate it.

Rain Man
01-09-2004, 10:32
WhiteBlaze is back online. ...

I want to thank you all for being patient with me and putting up with me. Hopefully we will not have to do this again for a long time. Our goal is to make WhiteBlaze the best informational and interactive site on the internet for the Appalachian Trail community.

No need to thank us for our patience. Thank you for YOURS!!! You're doing an awesome job. I know, - I've have been a volunteer webmaster on three sites. You must spend hours and hours on WhiteBlaze. Little do most people have any clue.

And by the way, WhiteBlaze is ALREADY the best informational and interactive A.T. site that I know about, no doubt about it.

Keep up the great work.

Rain Man
:clap

TJ aka Teej
01-09-2004, 11:11
WhiteBlaze is back online.
Thanks, ATTroll! I thought maybe it was the cold snap that was to blame for the prolonged freeze :D

chomp
01-09-2004, 11:34
Yup, just one more big THANK YOU for keeping the site online and running well. This place has quickly become the best place on the net to discuss the AT and other long distance hiking stuff. Great job.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2004, 15:23
Everything looks great, thanx again Troll for everything you do.

Dozer
01-09-2004, 17:06
Thanks for the upgrade. Is there still a "mark all as read" button out there somewhere?

steve hiker
01-09-2004, 21:55
what happened to the pitchers button?

attroll
01-10-2004, 00:53
Dozer

Yes there still is a "mark all as read". But it is in the link at the top called Quick Links. You have to click on it then a drop down menu will apear and then click "Mark Forums Read".

Jumble Jowls

I don't know what you mean when you say "what happened to the pitchers button?" The photo button is still at the top of each page.

mdjeeper
01-10-2004, 01:53
this is definitely my favorite spot to get ideas, gear help and not mention some totally AWESOME patches! :)

attroll
01-10-2004, 02:10
Jumble Jowls

I realized what you were talking about. I had the gallery turned off. I just turned it back on. But I am having some problems. I can not get it to take uploads right now. No matter what I do it says: There were 1 files which exceeded limits which do not appear in this list: I am working on it though. Give me some time.

attroll
01-10-2004, 02:14
I got the photos working now. Sorry about that.

Former Easy
01-10-2004, 03:31
Inter should do you well for awhile, did Mike tell you how much memory you got and how many VPS's he has on one dedicatied.

Its a good plan for now troll your learning. Inter has a good backbone, they just changed from VID to Inter....., good choice my friend :D

You could be happy but you might not , upgrade memory!

oyvay
01-10-2004, 14:16
:banana
Thank you for all the work you've done on this site. I don't know how legal this may be, but if you run short of funds to keep this site running I would be more than happy to contribute to the expenses of it. Hikers gotta have something to do during the cold months! :clap

Brushy Sage
01-15-2004, 12:15
:banana
Thank you for all the work you've done on this site. I don't know how legal this may be, but if you run short of funds to keep this site running I would be more than happy to contribute to the expenses of it. Hikers gotta have something to do during the cold months! :clap

So will I (a modest contribution). Let me know how, please.

wmh
01-15-2004, 18:13
I read that it costs $20/month just to host this site - who pays for this? Are donations accepted?

wmh
01-15-2004, 18:14
Excuse me, it the new server is $20 more per month, so the actual cost is higher - can we as users help defray this cost or is it defrayed by some other charitable donation?

attroll
01-16-2004, 01:33
Brushy Sage

You can click on the button at the top of each page titled "WB Store". That will tell you what to do and who to email to get a patch.

WMH
You can click on the button on the top of each page titled "Support" That will tell you what to do and who to email to send a donation.

Thank you

wmh
01-16-2004, 11:44
Thanks for the info on how to donate - just an fyi - the word "Support" on that button to me indicates technical support, not support of the site - maybe "Donations"?

attroll
01-16-2004, 14:47
Thanks for pointing that out WMH. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should title that button? It would be nice if it was something that would fit into the same size button.

simon
01-16-2004, 15:12
Thank you for all the work you do to keep this site up and running so smoothly! I found this site and i'm hooked with all the wonderful information!

Alligator
01-16-2004, 15:29
Thanks for pointing that out WMH. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should title that button? It would be nice if it was something that would fit into the same size button.

How about $Support$

wmh
01-16-2004, 15:55
How about $Support$

or "DONATE"

another suggestion may be to go the PBS route, once every 6 months (so it doesn't seem pushy) you could figure out the cost for the upcoming 6 months and have a pledge drive until the number is met - I understand your desire to be non-commercial and the pledge drive could be worded nicely - just looking for small donations - for example, how many registered users are there? if you take the actual cost of running the site (out-of-pocket expenses only) for one month and divide by the number of users, what would be the cost per user/per month? That could be the suggested donation for the pledge drive.

ga>me>ak
01-22-2004, 12:53
or "DONATE"

another suggestion may be to go the PBS route, once every 6 months (so it doesn't seem pushy) you could figure out the cost for the upcoming 6 months and have a pledge drive until the number is met - I understand your desire to be non-commercial and the pledge drive could be worded nicely - just looking for small donations - for example, how many registered users are there? if you take the actual cost of running the site (out-of-pocket expenses only) for one month and divide by the number of users, what would be the cost per user/per month? That could be the suggested donation for the pledge drive.

:-?
I don't know what it cost to run a site like this per month, or if you would even want to post that type of info. I know any size donation is appreciated, but maybe some of the wealthier members would want to sponsor the site for a month. Maybe a note on the site somewhere with a mention to that months sponsor. I have a feeling that you would have more sponsors than months, just a thought.
With all your fellow hikers here that appreciate and look forward to using this site everday, and in a big thanks to keeping it up and going, I don't think you'll have any problems receiving financial help/relief for this great site. Afterall, we are talking about the wonderful worldof the hiking community :D

attroll
01-23-2004, 01:50
That is a good idea. I just put a space for a sponsor on the front page. If anyone wants to sposor the site for a month I can put there name in there or there logo for a month.