PDA

View Full Version : So would you be nervous about camping on "bear" mountain?

ImkerVS
02-10-2008, 18:17
Directly behind my house in Limestone Cove is a mountain, Stone Mountain I guess it's called. This is the mountain north west of Beauty Spot, Unaka, Cherry Gap. Very rough trails there. It's not a mountain that is hiked much. And it isn't hunted much.

I've lived here in the Valley for 2 years and hiked a hundred miles of the appalachian trail but never been to the top of this mountain which towers over my house. I want to go up and hike around and spend the night, see the view.

So I mention it to a buddy. He lives down the road. He's a hunter. He's hiked up there several times. Only hikes when he hunts. Doesn't camp any.

"There's bear scat every 10 yards up there. You'll get bear et! (translation: eaten by a black bear).

He wasn't saying the bears are aggressive. He was saying they are plentiful. Not many humans up there. It's their territory. Don't do it.

So now I'm wondering. Should I do this? By myself?

Blissful
02-10-2008, 18:20
Guess it's up to you, knowng what you know about the area.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2008, 18:26
You'll be fine. Go for it. You're lucky to live where you do.

Bob S
02-10-2008, 19:27
No guts, no glory, go for it.

I was camping on a beach on Grand Island in Lake Superior. A bear walked right by the tent sometime in the night, its tracks were 10-feet away. The tracks were strait as it walked by; it did not come over and walk around the tent. All our food was hanged on bear poles provided, so there was nothing that gave off a smell for the bear to take interest. I would go back there again. I think the fear of bears is overblown somewhat. Take common sense precautions, but don’t let the fear of them keep you from enjoying the outdoors.

mudhead
02-10-2008, 19:33
He probably does not understand why you would want to spend the night, when you could just walk home and sleep in bed. Go for it.

gold bond
02-11-2008, 09:48
Take all the safety precautions that you would normally do in bear country and be extra safe. Like he said it's there territory up there and their used to that. You might get to see some stuff no of us will ever get to see.Enjoy!

Wonder
02-11-2008, 10:06
I know this sounds dorky.....but being from PA, I know what it's like to deal with hunters. I hold little fear of bears, but hunters with a hangover are a different story.
Laugh if you want, but when they're up there, I'm decked out in orange......and I wear a "Hunters Bell" I've also been know to yell out "HIKER" if I see strange movement.
I have a frend that was almost shot near lehigh gap......I'm not taking the risk!

DAKS
02-11-2008, 10:21
i say go for it, but certainly use caution as others have stated! it sounds like this is a pretty remote area and that the wildlife(bears) might only be used to hunters? with that said, the bears will prolly' stay far away from you and your camp. i could be wrong about this? if you go, be safe and have fun!

hammock engineer
02-11-2008, 10:23
It sounds similar to "Man there is a rediculous climb up ahead" or "You'll never make it". Someone giving advice where they don't know completely what they are talking about.

ScottP
02-11-2008, 12:08
Marinate yourself in caesar dressing first, or else the bears might not be interested in eating you.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2008, 13:04
nervous? not at all. black bear are pretty harmless

Deadeye
02-11-2008, 13:06
beats paddling up dead creek (or s**t creek)

Old Grouse
02-11-2008, 13:11
Or you could go into town and get hit by a bus.

wrongway_08
02-11-2008, 13:14
Wish I could be lucky enough to live that close to bears and be able to crash out up there.... go do it, bring back photos!

Possum Bill
02-16-2008, 19:12
If you need someone to hike/backpack Stone Mountain with, I'd be happy to tag along. I've hiked just about all the trails in the Unaka vicinity... I actually just climbed Unaka on the Limestone Cove trail last week. I've wanted to check out Stone Mtn because it's really close to where I work, but my maps don't show any trails up there, so I've never been. I've always been worried about getting on to private property around there too.

I'm free most weekends, so if you need a partner let me know, and I'll brave it with you.

Just curious... Is the hunter you know named Lingerfelt? I know a few people (hunters) that live in that area.

Take care,
Possum

mweinstone
02-16-2008, 21:24
sleep tight!

River Runner
02-16-2008, 22:01
There are a lot of bears in a lot of backpacking areas. Just use proper precautions like bear bagging your food and not cooking right beside of where you are sleeping.

It can be a little unnerving having them come into the area you are sleeping at night, but it sure is thrilling to see them during the day.

Flush2wice
02-16-2008, 22:29
Directly behind my house in Limestone Cove is a mountain, Stone Mountain I guess it's called. This is the mountain north west of Beauty Spot, Unaka, Cherry Gap. Very rough trails there. It's not a mountain that is hiked much. And it isn't hunted much.

I've lived here in the Valley for 2 years and hiked a hundred miles of the appalachian trail but never been to the top of this mountain which towers over my house. I want to go up and hike around and spend the night, see the view.

So I mention it to a buddy. He lives down the road. He's a hunter. He's hiked up there several times. Only hikes when he hunts. Doesn't camp any.

"There's bear scat every 10 yards up there. You'll get bear et! (translation: eaten by a black bear).

He wasn't saying the bears are aggressive. He was saying they are plentiful. Not many humans up there. It's their territory. Don't do it.

So now I'm wondering. Should I do this? By myself?

Hey neighbor!
I wouldn't worry about it. There aren't any more bears on Stone Mt. than anywhere else around here.
I've lived here for 10 years and hiked all over these parts. I've never seen a live bear (around here). I know they are here, I've seen the hunters bring them out, but they stay away from people.

weary
02-16-2008, 22:50
Bears are pretty harmless, especially when they are snug in their beds in February.

Weary

Lugnut
02-17-2008, 00:12
I know this sounds dorky.....but being from PA, I know what it's like to deal with hunters. I hold little fear of bears, but hunters with a hangover are a different story.
Laugh if you want, but when they're up there, I'm decked out in orange......and I wear a "Hunters Bell" I've also been know to yell out "HIKER" if I see strange movement.
I have a frend that was almost shot near lehigh gap......I'm not taking the risk!

Not trying to change the subject but that is a great avatar! Looks just like you. :D Now back to da bears.

dessertrat
02-17-2008, 00:21
I would not be nervous on "bear mountain" because everyone knows the bear went over the mountain. Just stay on top of it.