PDA

View Full Version : digital camera

Peanut
02-10-2008, 18:46
What kind of protection for your camera would you recommend for bringing a digital camera backpacking?

Peanut
02-10-2008, 19:08
Oh, I was referring to moisture/rain above...but am also wondering about how cold temps. affect things. Thanks!

mudhead
02-10-2008, 19:15
I am curious about the cold also. My fancy new rig says 32*F for the low end. Is this reduced function, or can I do damage to it? Bout driving me bonkers waiting for some warm weather.

taildragger
02-10-2008, 19:16
might be better to ask this at a more photography prone website

www.nwhikers.net have since cold winter hikers that do photography

www.nikonians.net might have some good geek answers

taildragger
02-10-2008, 19:17
or contact that mfg, they might know what the cold limits are and what they could effect.

rafe
02-10-2008, 19:25
A ziploc is the only protection my camera gets. I don't worry much about cold temps. Most of my hiking is in the summer.

mudhead
02-10-2008, 19:26
I figure the mfg will just cover butt. Cynical, I know. Hey Franco! It may sound silly but...

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2008, 20:03
I got a Panasonic DMC-LZ2 that I secure to my shoulder strap. When it rains I place a shower cap over the case, camera still working (since 2006), used in 2007 and will be on the trail with me in 2008.
I did have to modify the cap a little, basically I sewed the hole so it was smaller.

Ramble~On
02-10-2008, 20:15
There are a number of products to keep your camera "safe" in and it depends on the size of your camera.
Scuba Diving sites often carry several types of waterproof camera "dry" bags and hard plastic housings that will allow you to use the camera underwater...safe to say they'll keep it dry on the trail and when you want to use the camera in the rain.
While cold won't have much effect on the camera it will effect the batteries.
One thing to be aware of is the effect of condensation.
If you bring a cold camera into a warm environment keep the camera bundled up, wrapped in a jacket/hat etc to allow the camera to warm slowly. Otherwise the inner parts of the camera can be effected by moisture...a not good thing !

tlw08
02-11-2008, 11:40
The 32* operating environment is likely due to a liquid crystal display. LCD screens, like any liquid, can freeze, which would permanently damage your viewing screen.

If you use an EVF or just a plain ol' VF you should be fine using the equipment to lower temperatures. Battery performance is affected and like someone above me noted, condensation and rapid temperature changes can screw with the technology.

Footslogger
02-11-2008, 11:42
What kind of protection for your camera would you recommend for bringing a digital camera backpacking?

============================================

Did the entire trail in 2003 with my little camera in a Pint size freezer strength ziplock. On days when the weather was clear I just put it in my fanny pack uncovered (for quick access) but always kept the ziplock handy, just in case ...and we had a lot of "just in case" days in 2003. On the really cold nights I put the camera inside my sleeping bag but always had it inside my tent at night regardless.

'Slogger

Tinker
02-11-2008, 11:45
In cold weather, I've gotten into the habit of keeping my camera (ALWAYS in a zip lock to keep out both weather and perspiration) close to my body. I haven't had any problems with either water or cold.
I own a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T1. If it's sunny and warm I keep it in a shoulder strap mounted pouch. The zip lock bag as cost me a few photo opportunities, though.

mudhead
02-11-2008, 11:46
The 32* operating environment is likely due to a liquid crystal display. LCD screens, like any liquid, can freeze, which would permanently damage your viewing screen.

Sounds about reasonable.

Was not expensive, but don't want to toast it.

thanks.

quasarr
02-11-2008, 11:50
There are a number of products to keep your camera "safe" in and it depends on the size of your camera.
Scuba Diving sites often carry several types of waterproof camera "dry" bags and hard plastic housings that will allow you to use the camera underwater...safe to say they'll keep it dry on the trail and when you want to use the camera in the rain.

My mom bought a hard case for her camera for scuba diving. It works great, the camera stayed perfectly dry after being used underwater. But the case cost about $300! :eek: Also the cases are very camera-specific, the case for one model won't fit on another. Just some things to consider. :)

sheepdog
02-11-2008, 12:35
I use a freezer type ziplock bag for my Cannon 610. I bought the warranty at Best Buy. If you drop your camera in the water or anything (they claim) they will fix or replace it. I've had it on several section hikes in bad weather. No problems. Cannon still uses glass for their lenses. The color quality is excellent.

kirbysf
02-11-2008, 14:10
Oh, I was referring to moisture/rain above...but am also wondering about how cold temps. affect things. Thanks!

The Olympus 790 SW is WP to 10 feet, crushproof for 220 pounds, shockproof for a drop from 5 feet, and works down to temperatures of 14 degrees.

tlw08
02-11-2008, 17:46
Sounds about reasonable.

Was not expensive, but don't want to toast it.

thanks.

Like others have suggested, if kept within reasonable distance of your body when hiking & sleeping (at temperatures below freezing) you shouldn't have a problem.

An issue might arise if you, say, leave the camera on top of an open face bald in a biting wind, temperatures approaching zero, overnight. :(

Jason of the Woods
02-11-2008, 18:15
I put ours in a ziploc and in the top pocket of my Osprey pack with the raincover on. We spent 8 hours in the driving rain prior to a line of tornadoes a couple of weeks ago and it stayed completely dry. Besides baggies are very cheap. Spend money on the important stuff.;)

HighlanderII
02-11-2008, 19:10
I just use a quart sized ziploc or equivalent bag (I actually prefer the zipper bags more as they seem to hold up better) and then either put it in my pack or in a side pocket which is under the pack cover in the rain. I used this system in 2003 for an Olympus Digital Camera and as Footslogger indicates it was a little wet that year but maybe I just got lucky with the camera as I had no problems...

In '91 I used the same system for a film camera and everything was fine until I "swam" the Kennebec with my pack. That's a long story, but I was quite glad to be alive at the end of the crossing. The camera got wet and basically ruined the film in it but it took pictures fine after it dried out (and had new film in it).