PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for Health

starfox
02-10-2008, 18:55
Are any of you folks planning to hike for health reasons?

Pedaling Fool
02-10-2008, 19:31
That's why I did my thru-hike in 2006. I was in pretty good shape from cycling and weight-lifting, but I was overweight and had poor cholesterol level, blood pressure and heartrate... I got this way because I was bored with the normal exercise, (my body was bored of cycling/weightlifting w/o anything else) and I ate a ton of food, not healthy kind.

I've been able to keep the weight off (most of it) and still have good overall health, haven't had a cholestoral check since TD 2007, but I reguarly check my heart-rate which at it's lowest is between 45-50 bpm and bloodpressure is usually 110/60. I'm also more careful of what I eat now, but eating is still my major vice.

canerunner
02-10-2008, 20:14
One of the reasons I got back into hiking and backpacking was for the health benefits. As I'm getting older, I have to have something to keep me in reasonable condition. I just happen to like being outdoors way more than I do in a gym.

I want to spend as much time as I can out in the real world. It's my refuge from the corporate hustle.

Frosty
02-11-2008, 01:55
One of the reasons I got back into hiking and backpacking was for the health benefits. As I'm getting older, I have to have something to keep me in reasonable condition. I just happen to like being outdoors way more than I do in a gym.

I want to spend as much time as I can out in the real world. It's my refuge from the corporate hustle.You may find as you get older that rather than doing an activity to stay in shape, you will need to stay in shape to do the activity.

maxNcathy
02-11-2008, 09:24
You may find as you get older that rather than doing an activity to stay in shape, you will need to stay in shape to do the activity.

Exactly.

I walk lots 2 months before taking a 6 week hike so for over 3 months I am not a couch potato.
In summer we kayak lots which helps the mind and the muscles for another 4 months or so.

If you stay walking and breathing you will always be alive.

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2008, 11:11
You may find as you get older that rather than doing an activity to stay in shape, you will need to stay in shape to do the activity.
This is true, it has to be a lifestyle. Working-out to get in shape is fruitless in the long-run.

10-K
02-11-2008, 11:39
I walk and/or run 40/70 miles per week and have for years so I can't say that I hike specifically for health reasons although it certain is a nice benefit.

What I like most about hiking is being outdoors, the solitude and the physical and mental challenges - there's just something about relaxing into a stressful situation in order to get through it that makes me feel good upstairs.

I have never, and have no plans to ever walk on a treadmill or join a gym.

Tb

Tinker
02-11-2008, 11:40
Whenever I hike I'm always aware that what I am involved in is not only good for my spirit but good for my body as well. It's much more than exercise. It's life therapy.

gsingjane
02-11-2008, 14:59
"Working-out to get in shape is fruitless in the long-run."

What exactly do you mean by this? People get in shape by not working out? Or, people shouldn't bother getting in shape, or that getting in shape is fruitless? Why, exactly?

I just don't understand this statement...........

Jane in CT

jesse
02-11-2008, 15:12
"Working-out to get in shape is fruitless in the long-run."

What exactly do you mean by this? People get in shape by not working out? Or, people shouldn't bother getting in shape, or that getting in shape is fruitless? Why, exactly?

I just don't understand this statement...........

Healthy living should be a life style. Its not good to sit around, get over weight, then say, I need to go on a hike to get in shape. Come home sit around get overweight again, take another hike. In other words get in shape, and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

starfox
02-12-2008, 15:58
Is anybody aware of any surveys that have asked people why they wanted to hike the AT?

canerunner
02-12-2008, 19:00

Oh, believe me, I have!:D

rafe
02-12-2008, 19:38
Not trying to be overly negative, but it cuts both ways. Hygiene often goes to hell on the trail, and insects (ticks, mosquitoes, bees, chiggers, etc.) take their toll. Not to mention scrapes, sprains and bruises. There have been lots of threads about the haggard look of nobos in Maine...

wrongway_08
02-12-2008, 19:50
I do a lot of mountain biking, great workout.... but its more to get the rush from flyn downhill, dropping off rocks, making it up a steep rock climb and its also a rush to push myself as to how long I can ride without feeling worn out at the end of a ride.

Same with kayak'n, 4x4'n the Jeep, dirt biking, hiking, body surfing.... all for the rush. Lets you know your living. The health part is a nice bonus.

GGS2
02-12-2008, 19:54
Wrongway, when you get about twice as old as you are now, you will find that the order has reversed.

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 20:10
I'm only 32 and I've had a horrible experience after back surgery. The doctors have basically said that I have to live with the pain that was left after surgery (Idiots). The pain is worse than before surgery. A big part of the reason I am doing this is to try to strengthen my back and get off of the meds. The doctors have all said that I can't do anything else to my back by walking or hiking so here we go. I guess that I should mention that my pack is only about 20 lbs and we have done a lot of practice trips. Whether the pain goes away or not. I need to find a different way to live with it. Yes I suppose that you could say that it's health related.

Wrongway, when you get about twice as old as you are now, you will find that the order has reversed.

gumball
02-12-2008, 21:36
Mental health, absolutely!

GGS2
02-12-2008, 21:37
All the best to you, Jason. Keep going, and do push through the pain, but don't be hard on yourself. Pain is your ordinary indication of things going wrong, so when that signal is not working right, you can overdo things. You're going to need to find ways to relax, or spasms will just get worse as you get ordinary pains of hiking and getting trail fit. Whatever works for you, but I advise stopping for frequent rest, especially where there's a nice view, a pleasant stream, something to admire and just enjoy. Try not to get caught in plodding mode: set your mind to noticing things around you. When it gets really dreary, wet and horrible, change something. Get your mind off the bad stuff. Taste the rain, make camp, listen to the forest wetness, try to find out where the creatures are hiding, waiting it out. Collect rainwater and make some hot food. Practice fire-making. Just stop hating what is happening to you, open your senses and drink it all in. It is fabulous out there. There's no reason to get caught in a brown funk. Yes, you hurt all over, but that's no reason not to feel good about being alive. Wish I was out there with you.

starfox
02-12-2008, 21:52
Jason,

Are you planning your hike for this year?

Jason of the Woods
02-12-2008, 22:40
Wow! Great advice!! Thank you. I plan on it. If there is one thing that this whole thing has taught me it is to find my happy place. We are planning to hike this year. We are also planning to take our time and stop atleast once a week for a zero day. Happy hiking!

All the best to you, Jason. Keep going, and do push through the pain, but don't be hard on yourself. Pain is your ordinary indication of things going wrong, so when that signal is not working right, you can overdo things. You're going to need to find ways to relax, or spasms will just get worse as you get ordinary pains of hiking and getting trail fit. Whatever works for you, but I advise stopping for frequent rest, especially where there's a nice view, a pleasant stream, something to admire and just enjoy. Try not to get caught in plodding mode: set your mind to noticing things around you. When it gets really dreary, wet and horrible, change something. Get your mind off the bad stuff. Taste the rain, make camp, listen to the forest wetness, try to find out where the creatures are hiding, waiting it out. Collect rainwater and make some hot food. Practice fire-making. Just stop hating what is happening to you, open your senses and drink it all in. It is fabulous out there. There's no reason to get caught in a brown funk. Yes, you hurt all over, but that's no reason not to feel good about being alive. Wish I was out there with you.

-SEEKER-
02-13-2008, 17:43
Mental health, absolutely!

That's the reason I'm doing it!:sun

Frau
02-13-2008, 17:47
I agree with Canerunner. I couldn't have said it better. Hiking has put me in the good shape I am in.

Frau

Jason of the Woods
02-13-2008, 17:58
Mental health is my 2nd reason.;)

Frau
02-13-2008, 18:32
GGS2--

Elegant, eloquent advice...

Frau

starfox
02-13-2008, 19:12
I am a first year medical student in North Carolina and I'm working on a proposal to do a study on the AT this summer. I posted something earlier, and from the responses that I got from it and some input from professors I've decided to try and tweak my idea a bit.

I would like to identify some people who are hiking the trail because (not necessarily only because) they want to regain control of their physical health. I want to look at how the change in the emotional state (i expect that most people will be happier on the trail, or at least feel more free...but maybe not) effects the progression of their physical status.

At first I was planning on conducting it more like a clinical trial, but I just don't have the means or the expertise to make my data scientifically viable, so rather than just crunching numbers I'd like to take a more subjective slant and just try and tell people's story as they progress along the trail (i'm thinking through video interviews).

I still plan to try and take some measurements, and if I can get some agreeable numbers that will be neat, but it won't be the main focus.

Let me know what you guys think about that please.

Jason of the Woods
02-13-2008, 21:06
You could tag along with us for a bit. Though we are leaving on April 4th from GA and are only hiking for a couple of months.

FeO2
02-13-2008, 23:54
I hike for my lower back. I've had lower back pain for years (nearing 20 yrs. now) and 3 years ago I had surgery to remove a very large herniated disc.

Hiking strengthens my torso and gives relief usually by the next day.

The long winters in NH without hiking and my "sit down" day job really irritates my back, right about this time of the year I can't wait for spring so I can hit the trail.

The thru-hike has to wait until I retire, (wife, kids, mortgage, etc...).

I plan to use my vacation time and do 120 miles this summer, Kinsman Notch NH to Grafton Notch Maine.

Last year was 55 miles on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, NH

Jason of the Woods
02-14-2008, 15:06
I'm with you on the back thing...... Why wait for spring to hike? The trail is there all year long. We spend as much time in the woods in winter as we do in the summer. With the proper gear warmth isn't an issue.

I hike for my lower back. I've had lower back pain for years (nearing 20 yrs. now) and 3 years ago I had surgery to remove a very large herniated disc.

Hiking strengthens my torso and gives relief usually by the next day.

The long winters in NH without hiking and my "sit down" day job really irritates my back, right about this time of the year I can't wait for spring so I can hit the trail.

The thru-hike has to wait until I retire, (wife, kids, mortgage, etc...).

I plan to use my vacation time and do 120 miles this summer, Kinsman Notch NH to Grafton Notch Maine.

Last year was 55 miles on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, NH

Dirty Harry
02-25-2008, 22:41
Jason Im 24 and have had back pain for about 6 years. Im shure it hasnt been has bad as your situation, considering i havnt had any surguries. But it has deff. been a huge burden in my life. i dont think its ever going to go away, but when ever I go hiking or climbing, for a longer period of time ie. longer the a couple weeks, it goes away. When I thru hiked in 05 the pain was gone for at least over a year after the hike. I really cant pinpoint it, it could be the long hikes, the wieght on the back, but for some reason I feel it is the mental and physical change you encounter when you are doing long term outdoor activites. For me this year I am thru-hiking for exactly those reasons.

Symbol
03-04-2008, 15:41
Always loved hiking but a health issue a couple of years ago has given me new motivation and renewed passion for time in the woods.