PDA

View Full Version : Middle Prong Wilderness ??

Bruce Hudson
02-10-2008, 20:15
Since I'm in Raleigh I've taken advantage of a couple of winter hikes into Shinning Rock Wilderness via Shinning Creek trail head off of 276. It's a great hike and worth several repeats. I've also gone in on Big East Fork just south of Shinning Creek. Another great hike.

It would seem like Middle Prong Wilderness would offer some great hiking but I've not found much about the area. I'm looking for suggestions of day and a half (got to drive up Sat. morn) to two and a half day hikes. Any suggestions/comments about the trails (it would appear that 104 Buckeye Gap and 142 Haywood Gap would be the trails of interest)?

Bruce Hudson
Raleigh
[email protected]

Ramble~On
02-10-2008, 20:41
A really nice loop is to park near the FS 97 gate and walk up the gravel road to pick up the Haywood Gap Trail (142) hike up to the Mountains to Sea (440) Trail and hike it to Mt. Hardy. Mt. Hardy makes a nice side trip.
There's a really nice campsite a short hike up the (113) Green Mountain Trail at the first hilltop (elev. 5800) a short ways to the left offtrail comes to an open, grassy area with excellent views. Water is a prong of Buckeye Creek about ?400 yds downhill:D..Day 2 is a either down Green Mountain or down Buckeye Gap Trail..with that you've pretty much seen all of the Middle Prong.

rscnole
02-11-2008, 16:26
There's a really nice campsite a short hike up the (113) Green Mountain Trail at the first hilltop (elev. 5800) a short ways to the left offtrail comes to an open, grassy area with excellent views.

SHHHH!! That place is a secret! Seriously awesome spot though, i hope i never see it marked on a map.