PDA

View Full Version : Best Cell Phone?

Bootstrap
02-10-2008, 21:31
My cell phone is on the fritz and will need to be replaced.

If you wanted a robust cell phone with good reception, which cell phone and which service provider would you go with? I'd like to be able to throw it into my pack and not worry about it too much, and get good reception in odd places (does this imply Verizon?).

Of course, this would also be my day to day cell phone ...

Jonathan

mystic
02-10-2008, 21:47
I chose the Motorola i580 (http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/motorola/i580.html) since I solo hike. It is military spec with hard rubber construction. I've hiked with it clipped to a pack strap in day long rain with no problems. It has a decent camera with short video capability. Battery life is so-so but I don't keep it on. It also has basic GPS so you can get a fix on your location. It has a card slot which I stuck a 1GB card in. It has basic MP3 playback if you wanted to use up the battery. The camera has a flash LED which you can turn 'always-on' as a backup backup light. I use Nextel and got decent coverage on the peaks. Best thing is to check coverage maps from providers in the area you usually hike in.

Footslogger
02-10-2008, 21:54
All things considered ...right now I'd probably buy the Envy by LG (VX 9900). Good reception, full keyboard, internet access and larger screen (inside).

I'm due for a new phone in May and it will either be the Envy or the newer Voyager from LG.

'Slogger

River Runner
02-11-2008, 02:11
I think you need to primarily consider what works well where you live if you want it as your day to day phone. Where I use my phone, that is Cingular, but this can vary depending on where you live.

A friend thru hiked last year with a Cingular phone and found he did not have reception in a lot of areas where people with Verizon did. I used my Cingular phone on a section hike from Dick's Creek to Winding Stair Gap this year and got fairly decent reception the few times I tried it (higher elevations). I have a Blackberry Pearl & like it quite well, but again, I think the 'best' phone depends on what you want. Some like a simpler phone that is merely that, and some want web access or e-mail capability. I have found the trackball on the Pearl can get messed up if carried in a pocket, so I normally try to carry it in a case theses days.

Summit
02-11-2008, 20:56
This is my new geek toy: http://www.utstar.com/pcd/view_phone_details.aspx?mcode=XV6800&bID=89&sAct=0

It does require a data plan in addition to voice plan to get the full benefits, but I love this device. I read books, my Bible, take pictures (2M pixel), email, google maps, full Internet web browsing (weather updates are great when hiking). I have a moon phase and rise/set times app that lets me plan hikes months in advance to take place during prime moon viewing. Text messaging is cool . . . when hiking as soon as I turn the phone's radio on, I usually get a "love message" or "text sex" as we call it, from my wife! :D Oh, did I mention, it's a phone too? :p

D'Artagnan
02-12-2008, 10:08
As someone who isn't joined at the hip with his cell phone, I got really tired of paying a monthly bill for something I rarely used. When my contract was up I decided to buy a Trac-Fone. I get better reception with that thing than I ever did with my SunCom, Alltel, or Cingular plans.

The beauty of it is, if I destroy it -- as I've done three times in the past with more expensive phones -- I can replace it for about $12.00.

It's an option you might want to explore.

Roots
02-12-2008, 10:26
All things considered ...right now I'd probably buy the Envy by LG (VX 9900). Good reception, full keyboard, internet access and larger screen (inside).

I'm due for a new phone in May and it will either be the Envy or the newer Voyager from LG.

'Slogger
I second the EnV and Verizon. I have verizon and am really wanting the EnV because it is like a pocketmail, cell phone, mp3, and camera all in one device. My sister has one and it is a very durable phone. She's pretty rough on phones. I love Verizon's services. I have never had a problem with them. Stumpknocker (look at his trailjournal) is using this on the trail right now. It seems to be working well for him.

rafe
02-12-2008, 10:40
By most accounts, Verizon has the best overall coverage. But even so, there were a number of nights where I couldn't connect, particularly in SNP and south of there.

warren doyle
02-12-2008, 11:38
No cellphone for this hiking, migratory animal.

rafe
02-12-2008, 12:08
No cellphone for this hiking, migratory animal.

You're one to talk. You've got a van waiting at the trailhead. :rolleyes:

D'Artagnan
02-12-2008, 12:35

ZING!! :D:D

faarside
02-12-2008, 12:43
As faar as coverage goes, my opinion is that Verizon Wireless wins hands down. It took me over 12 years to make the cut from CellularONE / AT&T / Cingular; however, the VZW network really is more reliable, and covers more geographic area.

I currently use a bare-bones, tiny, light, non-ruggedized phone, but plan to make a switch to a Casio GzOne Type-V (the 2MP camera model). I believe a phone should be just that - a phone first. All of my other applications (i.e. MP3 player, word processor, book reader, etc., etc.) reside on my Dell Axim. I ONLY pull out my tech toys when I make journal entries, listen to music, read my bible, or have an emergency need to make a phone call. Otherwise, I pretty much keep these two items stowed.

Happy Trails!

Footslogger
02-12-2008, 12:47
Wanted to add to my earlier post ...still believe that the LG Envy is probably the best phone in its class BUT - - if I could buy one WITHOUT the built-in camera it would rank even higher in my opinion.

Not saying that cameras in phones are useless ...I just wish they were optional !!

'Slogger

warren doyle
02-12-2008, 22:37
I don't own a cellphone and when I hike unsupported and alone, I don't carry one.
I didn't need one the first 57 years of my life so I figure I don't need one now.

Footslogger
02-12-2008, 22:40
I didn't need one the first 57 years of my life so I figure I don't need one now.

=================================

You're still young. Give it time ...

'Slogger

tritonl
02-14-2008, 14:00
How has T-Mobile coverage worked for the people who took them on the trail?

dmb658
02-15-2008, 11:32
I would definately keep with the verizon, and i've been loyal to most of the phones by LG, i've noticed that in general, their phones last longer than a lot of other phones that i've had(as well as my friends)

Summit
02-15-2008, 18:12
I would definately keep with the verizon, and i've been loyal to most of the phones by LG, i've noticed that in general, their phones last longer than a lot of other phones that i've had(as well as my friends)As one who manages my company's cellular carrier relationships, I would agree completely. My wife and daughter have LGs and are very pleased with theirs as well.

fiddlehead
02-16-2008, 19:46
Wanted to add to my earlier post ...still believe that the LG Envy is probably the best phone in its class BUT - - if I could buy one WITHOUT the built-in camera it would rank even higher in my opinion.

Not saying that cameras in phones are useless ...I just wish they were optional !!

'Slogger

MMmm, and i entered this thread because i am looking for a phone that DOES have a good built in camera. I'm all for multiple uses from my gear.
I have 2 cameras but the biggest problem is i don't have them with me so many times when i see the best picture in the world.

so, with that said, does anybody have one with a great (3 megapixels or better) camera built in? I believe all phones do good at being a telephone, given the right company for coverage, but i want some extras (but not too many, if that makes sense)

C'mon Warren, you sound like my 2 red-neck brothers. They (and my 84 year old Mother) are the only people i know that don't have a phone and say they never will. (they do borrow mine from time to time)

If i have a choice to hike with a cell phone, or stay home and work. well, it's a no-brainer to me.

Natchez
02-17-2008, 00:44
Sony k850i 5 mgp mp3 the whole deal

Press
02-17-2008, 13:28
We have Sprint service which is not good in the mountains around here in Central Virginia anyway. I can rarely get a signal on the AT.

LittleMsGoody2Shoes
02-18-2008, 02:18
I just got the EnV LG from Verizon and specifically asked about coverage in the Appalachians. They gave me a map indicating coverage areas, and it does appear that most of the Appalachians are in their coverage zone. However, I did note that they seem to have very little coverage in the Rockies. They told me the GPS for the phone would cost extra, but it is my understanding that rescue crews could track any phone with GPS capabilities, I just wouldn't be able to access the GPS myself w/o it added to my wireless plan. As for durability, I purchased the clear case for the phone, stuck it in my back pocket, and got drenched in a rainstorm on my way to and from a grocery today. When I took the phone out of my pocket, I did notice that moisture had gotten inside the case, so I probably wouldn't recommend spending the extra $13 for that, but I would advise the extra $6/month for the insurance... it's a rather expensive phone to have to replace should something happen to it. :sun

Heater
02-18-2008, 02:34

LOL! :clap

How much you wanna bet that that van has a cellphone in it? :D

Heater
02-18-2008, 02:42
How has T-Mobile coverage worked for the people who took them on the trail?

I am pretty sure Verizon has the best. Stitches and Upload journaled their "ENTIRE" hike with Verizon and a Treo 700. IIRC...

Hokie
02-18-2008, 07:23
Good link for choosing phone and service features you value from cameras to weight considerations.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php

Good luck!