PDA

View Full Version : REI equipment

Jody7818
01-09-2004, 08:25
Can anyone comment on the REI brand of backpacks? Quality? Durability? I'm particularly interested in either the Morning Star 75 or the New Star. I looked at other backpack brands, and their appearance seems to be of a better quality. The material on the REI brand looked thin and cheap. The other brands looked more rugged and durable.

MOWGLI
01-09-2004, 08:43
Jody, I can't speak to the quality of those specific packs, but REI does stand by their gear 100%. If for whatever reason, the gear is not satisfactory, REI will take it back and refund your money - with no hassles. Of course, if you're in the middle of a thru-hike, and your gear breaks, that is a major hassle.

My experiences with REI, however limited, tell me that they don't usually sell crap. Especially if they put their brand name on it.

Peaks
01-09-2004, 09:13
To answer your question, I generally think that store brand equipment, including REI, EMS, and LL Bean is not as light as the name brand equipment, such as Gregory, Kelty, and Osprey if you are talking packs. But, along the trail, you will see packs made by all. Some prefer the name brands, and others prefer the store brands.

As posted, both LL Bean and REI are renown for the excellent satisfaction guarantee return policy.

The key point is what works for you. If an REI pack is comfortable for you, then by all means use it. There is no clear consentous on any piece of gear.

Groucho
01-09-2004, 09:30
Can anyone comment on the REI brand of backpacks? Quality? Durability? I'm particularly interested in either the Morning Star 75 or the New Star. I looked at other backpack brands, and their appearance seems to be of a better quality. The material on the REI brand looked thin and cheap. The other brands looked more rugged and durable.

How did the straps, frame and hipbelt look? Interested in one of these myself maybe. I believe that it has a lot of pockets and a capacity of 5K cu. in. Load it and see if it is comfortable. They do have a good warranty; check on it. You can buy this capacity in a bomb proof pack that usually weighs a few more pounds.

Rain Man
01-09-2004, 10:43

Jody, I can comment on REI, having been a member for over 25 years. Their money back guarantee is phenomenal.

As far as packs, I have owned one or two REI daypacks and the quality was (is) darn good. When it came time to purchase a backpacking pack, I did walk out of REI with a Gregory. The REI folks don't push their brand over any other brand they sell. I like that.

If the material looked "thin and cheap," are you sure you weren't just looking at an ultralight pack? I don't know how much experience you have. But expensive ultralight packs do look thin and cheap to me too.

The main thing is getting a pack that feels good on your back on the trail, rather than brand, recommendations, price, etc.

Best Wishes!
Rain Man