PDA

View Full Version : My mail drops

wrongway_08
02-11-2008, 13:49
I have everything done, wanted to post something, so this is all I have to talk about :cool:.

I tried to hit Post offices that were close to the trail, that also had Grocery stores near by, this way I dont waste a lot of time in town and can keep on the trail as much as possible.

Whats in them:
- maps
- High dollar food, energy bars, a few gels and so on - dont want to spend 3.00 on a energy bar out in the middle of no-where, when I can buy it here for $1.00 - $1.50.
- Hard to find foods.
- Razors, tooth paste, T.P..
- Replacement zip lock bags
- Foot powder (in zip-bags)
- New shoes I broke in already - of course not in every drop :p
- What ever family members add to the box when mailed out.

Here are my drops:
1) Hot Springs NC - 185 miles from start - 2 maps
2) Damascus VA - 186 miles from last drop - 3.5 maps (had to cut this one)
3) Daleville VA - 255 miles from last drop - 1.5 maps
4) Waynesboro VA - 135 miles from last drop - 3 maps
5) Front Royal VA - 108 miles from last drop - 6 maps (all small maps)
6) Duncannon PA - 180 miles from last drop - 3 maps
7) Unionville NY - 200 miles from last drop - 3 maps
8) Salisbury CT - 153 miles from last drop - 3 maps
9) Hanover NH - 250 miles from last drop - 2 maps
10) Gorham NH -145 miles from last drop - 3 maps
11) Caratunk ME - 150 miles from last drop - 3 maps

One drop will be hand delivered at Harpers Ferry.

Cindy from Indy
02-11-2008, 14:52
I have everything done, wanted to post something, so this is all I have to talk about :cool:.

I tried to hit Post offices that were close to the trail, that also had Grocery stores near by, this way I dont waste a lot of time in town and can keep on the trail as much as possible.

Whats in them:
- maps
- High dollar food, energy bars, a few gels and so on - dont want to spend 3.00 on a energy bar out in the middle of no-where, when I can buy it here for $1.00 - $1.50.
- Hard to find foods.
- Razors, tooth paste, T.P..
- Replacement zip lock bags
- Foot powder (in zip-bags)
- New shoes I broke in already - of course not in every drop :p
- What ever family members add to the box when mailed out.

Here are my drops:
1) Hot Springs NC - 185 miles from start
2) Damascus VA - 186 miles from last drop
3) Daleville VA - 255 miles from last drop
4) Waynesboro VA - 135 miles from last drop
5) Front Royal VA - 108 miles from last drop
6) Duncannon PA - 180 miles from last drop
7) Unionville NY - 200 miles from last drop
8) Salisbury CT - 153 miles from last drop
9) Hanover NH - 250 miles from last drop
10) Gorham NH -145 miles from last drop
11) Caratunk ME - 150 miles from last drop

Good, organized list wrongway!! May I use as a template for my list?? You are leaving soon, aren't you?!

Blissful
02-11-2008, 15:01
Just some suggestions -

I'd skip Daleville for a drop. Trying to get to the PO is a problem (I think it's a mile away or something), and there is a HUGE grocery store (kroger) and an outfitter just down the road to get you ready for the next section.

You will need a drop for Glencliff of cold weather gear. The Whites are very unpredictable. Unless you are mailing it to Hanover, but the Glencliff PO by the hostel is very convenient.

wrongway_08
02-11-2008, 16:04
Good, organized list wrongway!! May I use as a template for my list?? You are leaving soon, aren't you?!

Knock yourself out :D ..... glad it helped you.
I am leaving Feb 29th from Westminster and starting the trail in GA on March 1st.

Just some suggestions -

I'd skip Daleville for a drop. Trying to get to the PO is a problem (I think it's a mile away or something), and there is a HUGE grocery store (kroger) and an outfitter just down the road to get you ready for the next section.

You will need a drop for Glencliff of cold weather gear. The Whites are very unpredictable. Unless you are mailing it to Hanover, but the Glencliff PO by the hostel is very convenient.

:D a mile away? Hmmm, I'll be very tired after hiking the 750 miles, a mile of road walk will be relaxing ....:D... just bustn your chops :p. Good idea about the Hostel.... we'll see how it turns out, I'm not on any "real" schedule, just tryn to make it easy for those stayn behind as my support crew :cool:.

My winter gear is 3.40 Lbs (including the weight difference of summer Vrs. winter sleeping bag.) More then likely i'll just carry it from Hanover.

I do have every possible mail drop printed out for family members, incase I want to change or add a drop, all they have to do is switch out the address labels that I printed on the boxes already. I have 3 blank boxes ready - just incase I do add a drop they just need to tape on the pre-printed labels.

Blissful
02-11-2008, 16:17
Have a great time!

doggiebag
02-11-2008, 17:02
Take care Wrongway. I'm still beating you to the Appalachias. I report for training tomorrow. I'm hoping to get online a couple of more times before you take off. But just in case ... stay in touch either here or on TJ. Aldo and I had a great time running around with you and all the guys over the last few months. Good luck and have a blast.
PS. Take your time the first week or so.

mudhead
02-11-2008, 17:05
What is Aldo eating? PB? Mac and cheese? Ice cream? Looks like a guilty munchfest, whatever it is.

doggiebag
02-11-2008, 17:29
What is Aldo eating? PB? Mac and cheese? Ice cream? Looks like a guilty munchfest, whatever it is.
That would be the sausage gravy over biscuits from the Hillside Inn in Harpers Ferry, WV. They serve some big portions in West Virginia - I timed the shot just right.:D

wrongway_08
02-14-2008, 16:18
I have got a few e-mails about the spots I chose to do drops at and just wanted to let you know why I chose these spots.

- I did them at easy to acsess points, this way I could do my shopping and everything in one area.

- Like I mentioned before, even for the fact that I will be by grocery stores and all, the power bars/gels and other food like it will cost me a lot more at the stores around towns - and then there is no gaurentee that they will have the flavors I like. (most taste like crap to me.)

- In each drop I have 4 razors and shaving cream in small bags - each contains 1 oz, more then enough for me to shave with. Its a cream type, not the crap in the cans.... didnt want you all thinking I am filling small bags with the can shaving cream :) . Also I put in a set amount of vitamins - I would be spending a lot of money to buy a full bottles of them at these small stores along the A.T.. I also am sending some medicated foot powder along in each drop, not enough to cover drop to drop but just a few days worth for while I am in hostels or hotels, I can pamper my feet :p. If I tried to buy a full bottle, it would cost a good bit and then I'd have to carry that dang bottle around also.

- also doing them the drops where I did them, the drops line up with the A.T. trail maps. Only had to cut one map to make the drops work. I will add the number of maps I put in each drop, to the first post. This was one of the main reason the drops fell where they did. Plus no reason to carry 8oz of maps that wouldnt be needed for 4 or 5 weeks.

Thanks to everyone who sent me e-mails on the drops. its all good and I would never take offense to anyone that is try'n to help :sun

Hopefully this will help a few others who are planning drops....doesnt matter if you decide my way is bad or good, as long as it helps you out. :)

Hope to see you all out there along the way.

Footslogger
02-14-2008, 16:24
You might want to consider one in Monson ...if you haven't already added tha to your list. Last chance to stock up before hitting the 100 Mile Wilderness.

'Slogger

wrongway_08
02-14-2008, 16:29
Doing Caratrunk for that one, it had some thing to do with the way the maps line up. Just going to hit up the store for that food supply. Bringing extra sports bars along with the Caratrunk drop.

Attempting to keep it somewhat simple for the ones helping back at home. :)

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2008, 16:29
I agree that you should skip Daleville; the Kroger near the Trail is probably the biggest and most complete supermarket on the whole Trail.

And Front Royal is a pain in the ass to get into.

I'd re-supply briefly in nearby Linden VA instead; I'd skip Front Royal altogether as it's a tough hitch and all spread out once you get there.

Instead, I'd send my box to the ATC Office in Harpers Ferry, which is minutes from the Trail, is open seven days a week, and is a place you'll be visiting anyway.

fonsie
02-20-2008, 13:31
I agree that you should skip Daleville; the Kroger near the Trail is probably the biggest and most complete supermarket on the whole Trail.

And Front Royal is a pain in the ass to get into.

I'd re-supply briefly in nearby Linden VA instead; I'd skip Front Royal altogether as it's a tough hitch and all spread out once you get there.

Instead, I'd send my box to the ATC Office in Harpers Ferry, which is minutes from the Trail, is open seven days a week, and is a place you'll be visiting anyway.

Front Royal has a lot of places to hit up though....I whent through there a few weeks ago....but then again you only got about 50 or so miles till Harpers Ferry... If you can remember where we took that left at the light where 522 is and remember all them stores.

wrongway_08
02-20-2008, 18:13
.. If you can remember where we took that left at the light where 522 is and remember all them stores.

Fonsie, you forget my trail name already? I would end up in Ocean City if I had to go off my memory :D. You should do a few over nights when I get up your way. Get the rest of the Fools Parade together, it'll be a grand 'ol time!

Lost_Soul
02-24-2008, 09:29
don't forget you're adding one IDIOT to that parade.:D Should be interesting. Hmmmm, is the trail big enough to take the Jeep on ? (maybe not, I think they'd be mad at me for that one) See you then bud. Dak.

wrongway_08
02-24-2008, 09:38
I think you'd egual out to two idiots, :D, catch ya by MD or PA, or close to there.

Lost_Soul
02-24-2008, 21:27
Butt yea:D, you're probably right. Maybe even a little more than that. Um, had asked something under RA:)... want a general answer, nothing too specific. (been looking thru the mag and narrowing it all down) Been too long since I've done this stuff. LOL Will wrestling shoes work ? (joke)

Tinker
02-25-2008, 02:40
Wrongway;

Don't be surprised if you get a call on your cell phone when you get close to New England. I still have your # on my phone. I'll buy you lunch (no more than 2 large "garbage" pizzas :p) when you get into Massachusetts.

Sly
02-25-2008, 05:42
:D a mile away? Hmmm, I'll be very tired after hiking the 750 miles, a mile of road walk will be relaxing ....:D... just bustn your chops :p.

Rather than using the PO in Troutville (or Daleville) you could use one of the two motels you walk right by.

Sly
02-25-2008, 05:56
Doing Caratrunk for that one, it had some thing to do with the way the maps line up.

I don't have the maps in front of me but, if I recall correctly, Map 3 begins in Monson with 1 ending at Katahdin. ;)

minnesotasmith
02-25-2008, 06:13
In general, those should be last resort places, except for places like Hanover where there's no hostel (defined as place charging $25.00/less a night) or real outfitter and the PO location is unusually convenient. Hostels you are planning to stay at are the best places to send mail drops, as they are open 24/7. Outfitters in towns you are going to go to are next best, as they are usually open 7 days a week. POs are normally open half or no hours on Sat, and not at all on Sunday, sadly.

Also, you can usually get your mail drops from hostels without digging out your ID. Not so at as a rule at outfitters, and not at all at POs.

sasquatch2014
02-25-2008, 08:46
well looks like you have it set. I will be thinking of you while you are up there on springer on the first. I would almost any day say that there is no place I would rather be but I will be in Jamaica with my bride of 15 years wearing very little and enjoying tropical breezes. I have been talking to my kids about your trip and they are excited to possibly see you as you pass through our town. My son and i have been talking about all the ways to screw with you through out the night as you get close. :banana "hey did you guys hear something out there?"

wrongway_08
02-25-2008, 10:25
Wrongway;

Don't be surprised if you get a call on your cell phone when you get close to New England. I still have your # on my phone. I'll buy you lunch (no more than 2 large "garbage" pizzas :p) when you get into Massachusetts.

Sounds good - 2 "garbage pizzas".....that works - dont worry, I've got your number also....... if you forget, I wont!! :D

Rather than using the PO in Troutville (or Daleville) you could use one of the two motels you walk right by.

I don't have the maps in front of me but, if I recall correctly, Map 3 begins in Monson with 1 ending at Katahdin. ;)

Also, you can usually get your mail drops from hostels without digging out your ID. Not so at as a rule at outfitters, and not at all at POs.

All the above...:).....after looking into things, you all do have some great ideas and points. But, its too late to change plans now......well I'm too lazy to change the plans at this point :o. 4 days to go.... I'll have to deal with my "wrongway" of doing things.. :D.........besides, the fun in these trips is bitchn about walking in the rain 2 miles outta the way - just to sit on the doorstep of the post office for 5 hours, waiting for them to open. :p

My son and i have been talking about all the ways to screw with you through out the night as you get close. :banana "hey did you guys hear something out there?"

Sasquatch, and Lady Sasquatch.... have a great time on your trip......sounds like you have been waiting for a while to do this.... enjoy it.

Sounds like I will need to stealth camp through your area.... :cool:

Sly
02-25-2008, 17:20
If you're all set with 4 days to go, you have plenty of time to print out a half dozen labels, but if you're up to carrying maps 50 miles for nothing or waiting hours, or days, for the PO to open who am I to suggest otherwise?