PDA

View Full Version : Trail ethics

Tanya
02-11-2008, 14:14
I plan on spending about 3 months on the trail this summer. If all goes well, I will be able to start from Damascus in late May. I am hoping to get to Maine by the end of August. I covered the Whites and parts of Vt and Mass over the past few years, so if I start running out of time this summer, I might skip the Whites for example. Ideally though, I'd like to cover Va - Maine without shortcuts. I only have three summer months because I teach, and have to be back by the beginning of the fall semester.

Now, my question is, will I be entitled to such privileges of a thru-hiker as trail-magic or staying in N.H. huts for example? From my experience of doing weeklong sections of AT, I know that sections-hikers are not encouraged to abuse these privileges. And I completely agree with this philosophy.
But what will my standing be this summer? Having started from VA, will I be able to partake of the joys of trail-magic along with those who started from Ga?

Happy trails,
t.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2008, 14:18
so-called "trail magic" is for every and all hikers whether you're out for a day or 150 days

hobojoe
02-11-2008, 14:21
Many folks say a thru is more than a thousand miles. I believe anyone who is spending as much time as you are deserves just as much "kindness" as the next individual. I would never think of doing a small section without providing some magic of my own, for the longer distance hikers. The important thing is to make sure to give what you can give, and not take what you can get.
I'd say indulge in trail magic but make sure to reciprocate in the future, Thats how our community works.
Give what you can give, Never take what you can get,
Hobo Joe

Appalachian Tater
02-11-2008, 14:22
Camping privileges in the Smokies are for people starting and ending 50 miles outside of the park. At Baxter The Birches campsite is reserved for NOBO long-distance hikers who at least hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness. Work-for-stay in the Whites is for thru-hikers but that is not defined more precisely. There is a restaurant in Hanover that gives thru-hikers a slice of pizza free. Otherwise, all hikers are equal.

StarLyte
02-11-2008, 14:28
Maybe this should have been an open forum. I feel the need to respond even though it's a 2008 thru hiker forum and I am not one of those people.

Tanya,

We are all members of the hiking community, but that's it. No club, no qualifications. If I'm doing Trail magic, I don't care if someone is a thru-hiker or day hiking. I do ask, but only out of curiosity.

If you have paid to belong to a certain organization then you would receive their privileges.

You are kind and sincere - I hope I meet you some day. Good luck to you!

MOWGLI
02-11-2008, 14:35
I plan on spending about 3 months on the trail this summer. If all goes well, I will be able to start from Damascus in late May. I am hoping to get to Maine by the end of August. I covered the Whites and parts of Vt and Mass over the past few years, so if I start running out of time this summer, I might skip the Whites for example. Ideally though, I'd like to cover Va - Maine without shortcuts. I only have three summer months because I teach, and have to be back by the beginning of the fall semester.

Now, my question is, will I be entitled to such privileges of a thru-hiker as trail-magic or staying in N.H. huts for example? From my experience of doing weeklong sections of AT, I know that sections-hikers are not encouraged to abuse these privileges. And I completely agree with this philosophy.
But what will my standing be this summer? Having started from VA, will I be able to partake of the joys of trail-magic along with those who started from Ga?

Happy trails,
t.

Tanya:

You should have no issues with staying in the huts. Do the work - get the stay - guilt free.

Have a great hike!

Blissful
02-11-2008, 14:50
Sounds like a great plan. Enjoy yourself, enjoy what you discover, enjoy life, the woods and scenery, and the people you meet along the way.

The Weasel
02-11-2008, 14:59
Tanya ----

Most people I know consider that a 'thru' means you're not planning on stopping at a fixed point before Katahdin, although generally you'd need to be some distance away, and not planning on "sectioning" most of the segments.

Just hike, and see what happens. Everyone will like you.

TW

ScottP
02-11-2008, 18:40
I'd just say that you're a thru-hiker. You're probably skipping less miles than half the people who go from GA to ME and claim to be thru-hikers.