PDA

View Full Version : How Far In A Month

Swiftfeet
01-09-2004, 11:26
Hello All,

This is my first post here, some bare with me. I will have about a month on the trail. I would like to see as much as possible and experience the best one month strectch the trail offers. I have done all of New England ( I live there). If I start in georgia, how far will a month get me. We are talking June, so keeping that in mind, I am affraid if I start at Springer, I will see no one.

Where to start/stop with only a month?

Thanks to all,
Swiftfeet
"Keep the Whites Green"

A-Train
01-09-2004, 11:56
Swiftfeet,
Its hard to say, since everyones pace differs, but Erwin is a good goal. Its about 338 miles, so an average of about 10 miles a day for a month. I was just north of here after a month on the trail. This will allow you to see a lot of great things, towns, people, views and more, and avoid very cold weather. Have fun and good luck

Lone Wolf
01-09-2004, 12:01
Start in Damascus, Va. you won't be alone. Virginia has a lot to offer.

kevin
01-09-2004, 12:34
Swiftfeet,

I'm going to be starting in late-May (haven't set an exact date) from Springer and I think a couple others are looking at a similar (late-May/early-June) start time (see this thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2166), so there will be a few others in the area. With school being out and people on vacation, I also assume there will be a few day/section hikers in the area.

Kevin

tlbj6142
01-09-2004, 17:13
Virginia has a lot to offer.Like a long-haired beared fellow drinking busch! :dance

Lone Wolf
01-09-2004, 17:17
Hey tlbj, I cut the hair, kept the beard and drink Michelob Ultra now. :D

Peaks
01-09-2004, 17:18
Contary to popular belief, you will meet people out on the trail no matter when you start, or where you hike. True, the pack of thru-hikers may be ahead of you, but there are still plenty of weekenders, vacationers, and other section hikers out there. To quote Dave Field, thru-hikers are the critical minority.

So, how far in a month? I'd guess roughty 300 to 360 miles, based on 10 to 12 miles per day average. It's going to vary depending on what shape you are in, and which section of trail you do. Certainly if you have done New England, then you should know how far you average in a day, so just do the math accordingly. Through much of the south your average will be about the same as New England. But, in the mid-Altlantic states (Virginia to Connecticut), you can average more.

Groucho
01-09-2004, 20:40
Hello All,

. We are talking June, so keeping that in mind, I am affraid if I start at Springer, I will see no one.

Where to start/stop with only a month?
"

Start at the N end of the Smokies and head N. End at Daleville, for ~370 miles. Max Patch, Hot Springs, Big Bald, Roan Highlands, Damascus, Mt. Rogers Tinker Cliffs are just a few of the sights.

Judging by your trailname and/or journal name this may not be enough distance, but the trail keeps on going for a while N. It's all good, but this keeps you at decent altitude in a sometimes hot month.

And, as Lone Wolf says, "Virginia has a lot to offer".

tlbj6142
01-09-2004, 20:59
Hey tlbj, I cut the hair, kept the beard and drink Michelob Ultra now. :DWow! That must have been some New Year's Eve party.:D

chris
01-12-2004, 09:44
Presumably you've section hiked New England over shorter trips and this is your first longer one? This is the assumption I'm working with. How far you go depends on how far you want to go and how much experience you have, in what kind of shape you are, how much you are carrying, etc, etc. Springer to Damascus in a month in June is really doable. I hiked this in 28 days in May 2002. You'll have gobs of day like to hike in and the weather should be stable, if hot. Springer to Pearisburg would be more difficult, but still, I think, doable.

Better yet, start at Springer and just walk until you are done. It is hard to predict how far you can get before actually setting out. Keep in mind that if you want to Greyhound it home, you have to buy a ticket 10 days in advance to qualify for the cheap fares. You cannot buy a ticket over the phone, but can buy one over the internet. There is a Greyhound stop in Abingdon, outside of Damascus, and one in Pearisburg.