PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Thru Hikers Companion

thorny
02-11-2008, 18:46
I just received the 2008 Hikers companion.
To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!
This year's edition has a bound binding. No more looseleaf/ring binder.
You cant take pages out then put them back in when you get home.
If you want to use the companion you either have to carry the whole thing or destroy it to remove pages.
I think I'll try to locate a 2007 copy

max patch
02-11-2008, 18:52
Thats actually an improvement that was made in response to complaints about the spiral binding over the years.

The 2008 Companion will be online soon enough. Until then, you can always zerox the pages you want to use or download and print the pages from the 2007 version which is currently online for free.

Appalachian Tater
02-11-2008, 18:54
I would also suggest that you leave your bound guide at home for any interested parties to follow along with you and print out a copy to take with you. You might even consider shrinking it a bit.

The Appalachian Pages has the right idea with perforations.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-11-2008, 19:01
The Appalachian Pages has the right idea with perforations.Amen to that - the unbound option plus the tear-out pages is a big plus.

I too was stunned to see the spiral binding gone. I know many didn't like it, but I did for the reason Thorny mentions.

Frosty
02-11-2008, 19:10
I just received the 2008 Hikers companion.
To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!
This year's edition has a bound binding. No more looseleaf/ring binder.
You cant take pages out then put them back in when you get home.It wasn't a looseleaf/ring binder last year, either. It was spiral bound. You can take out any page you want, you just can't put them back in :D

Yogi's PCT handbook is in a ring binder.

Appalachian Tater
02-11-2008, 19:13
In 2006 it was a strange spiral binding that allowed you to carefully take pages out and put them back in. The problem was if you tore out pages, you had all those ragged edges or if you trimmed them, confetti.

spittinpigeon
02-11-2008, 19:15
They have companions at Neel's gap don't they? I haven't picked up a book yet. I think I have the last few pages of my data book somewhere...

Smile
02-11-2008, 19:31
I photocopied pages and 'shrunk them' so they would weigh less, that way I didn't have to tear pages :)