PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your pack?

paradoxb3
02-11-2008, 23:03
i've got a claytor jungle hammock and have used it a few times. i absolutely love it but so far all i've come up with was to leave my pack on the ground underneath me. i'd much prefer getting it off the bare ground, but also keep it dry if it rains. what methods are the HH'ers out there using? of course when i had a tent i had room inside and a foyer to keep gear out of the elements. what now? hang it on a tree in a trash bag? am i missing something super obvious here? :-?

River Runner
02-11-2008, 23:51
I usually stick it in a trash bag and lay it on the ground under the hammock. I hang a small stuff sack with first aid/utility items and a small platypus water bottle from the ridge line, put any extra clothing in another stuff sack to use as a pillow, bear bag my food, and usually leave my cook set near the cooking area. At that point there is very little left inside the pack.

warraghiyagey
02-11-2008, 23:53
I have a tent big enough for me but not my pack. I hang it on a tree with my pack cover on it. Never dissappointed yet.

Tinker
02-12-2008, 02:54
There is a gear hammock that you can attach to your hammock to keep items off of the ground. It also doubles as a pack cover. You can see it at www.jacksrbetter.com (http://www.jacksrbetter.com).

mystic
02-12-2008, 05:31
There is a gear hammock that you can attach to your hammock to keep items off of the ground. It also doubles as a pack cover. You can see it at www.jacksrbetter.com. (http://www.jacksrbetter.com.)

I bought their gear hammock and took it on my last 2 week hike. I found it useless. I tried hanging it in various configuration below my hammock. Even with a pack with very little left in it, the gear hammock often flipped and dropped the pack. It also throws off the balance of the hammock itself and requires a lot of futzing to get everything balanced. Then the tie out line has to be under your tarp or you are basically making a hanging bucket when water runs down the line.

Finally I used it as a pack cover and it soaked through in less than an hour. The only real use I found for it was as a blaze orange 'hunter don't shoot me' device.

It goes into the 'toy, not gear' pile.

I ended up strapping my pack to the tree at my feet and putting a trash bag over it. You want it close enough to get to in the middle of the night.

highway
02-12-2008, 07:16
i've got a claytor jungle hammock and have used it a few times. i absolutely love it but so far all i've come up with was to leave my pack on the ground underneath me. i'd much prefer getting it off the bare ground, but also keep it dry if it rains. what methods are the HH'ers out there using? of course when i had a tent i had room inside and a foyer to keep gear out of the elements. what now? hang it on a tree in a trash bag? am i missing something super obvious here? :-?

Just curious why you are against having the pack lay upon the bare ground underneath the hammock's fly where it is sheltered from most rain. Don't you lay your pack upon the ground during the day on rest breaks, where you often probably sit upon the ground, too?

Cannibal
02-12-2008, 08:43
I use a gear hammock, but if my pack is dry I put it under my legs in the hammock. If it's wet I usually just clip it to my suspension with a biner to drip dry, freeze, or whatever.

gold bond
02-12-2008, 10:24
If your on the AT most if not all shelter / authorized camping sites have bear cables. You can as well just put a trash bag on it and lean it against one of the tree's you are attached to or put it in a trash bag and lay it under your hammock on to pieces of wood to get it up off the ground.

DawnTreader
02-12-2008, 12:55
I bought their gear hammock and took it on my last 2 week hike. I found it useless. I tried hanging it in various configuration below my hammock. Even with a pack with very little left in it, the gear hammock often flipped and dropped the pack. It also throws off the balance of the hammock itself and requires a lot of futzing to get everything balanced. Then the tie out line has to be under your tarp or you are basically making a hanging bucket when water runs down the line.

Finally I used it as a pack cover and it soaked through in less than an hour. The only real use I found for it was as a blaze orange 'hunter don't shoot me' device.

I have to say this.. my JRB gear hammock has proved invaluable to me. I've never had any leaks using it as a pack cover. I've used it as a water bag, again no leaks, I've used it to wash laundry, I've used it as a sink to wash up, I've used it as a gear hammock, and have had at least 10 lbs worth of stuff hanging in it, never experienced any balance/bucket issues that you have mentioned.. Are you securing it on your hammock correctly? I have seriously found more uses for this piece and bring it on every trip..

warraghiyagey
02-12-2008, 12:57
I'll suspend mine under D.Tread's hammock.:D

hobojoe
02-12-2008, 13:03
If your on the AT most if not all shelter / authorized camping sites have bear cables.
Not true at all. Just at the beginning and some spots north.

Ashman
02-12-2008, 13:31
I have not hiked with a hammock yet, my first trip is in a few months, I plan to put my poncho/rain cover over it and bungee it to a tree to get it off the ground.

rafe
02-12-2008, 14:19
Hang it on a tree with the pack cover on it. Secure it to the tree with the waist belt and sternum strap.

gold bond
02-12-2008, 15:48
Not true at all. Just at the beginning and some spots north.
Thats the reason I said "most"!

paradoxb3
02-12-2008, 17:57
Just curious why you are against having the pack lay upon the bare ground underneath the hammock's fly where it is sheltered from most rain. Don't you lay your pack upon the ground during the day on rest breaks, where you often probably sit upon the ground, too?

good question, however i'm not sure if i've got a straight answer to it. i guess it's just personal preference. i suppose i'm just still in the tenting habit of "gear must be sheltered." i leave my pack on the ground when i'm attending it, but i dont consider it attended when i'm asleep (i'm a heavy sleeper too). and another problem may lie more in site selection than with gear location, but in rain i've woke up with little "rivers" of rainwater drainage and puddles under me.

i figure that with as many different opinions on such a broad range of topics here on WB, someone else out there must be doing things differently than me, and i'm always up for suggestions!

DawnTreader
02-12-2008, 18:04
beaner clip it to ridge line under the tarp

River Runner
02-14-2008, 02:40
For those who say they lean their pack against a tree with a pack cover, this may result in the inside of your pack getting soaked via capillary action from the back of the pack soaking up water from the tree trunk if heavy rain is experienced.

I saw this happen to a friend of mine's pack. Everything in it that wasn't in a plastic bag got wet & his pack was of course quite a bit heavier when wet.

River Runner
02-14-2008, 02:47
I have to say this.. my JRB gear hammock has proved invaluable to me. I've used it as a gear hammock, and have had at least 10 lbs worth of stuff hanging in it, never experienced any balance/bucket issues that you have mentioned.. Are you securing it on your hammock correctly? I have seriously found more uses for this piece and bring it on every trip..

I have one also, and have noticed that the tighter the draw cord, the better it holds everything in.

Monkeyboy
02-17-2008, 01:01
I asked the same question a few months ago and got this link to Just Jeff's website....

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html

This is definately what I'll be making soon.....

Just Jeff
02-23-2008, 09:11
Mystic - please contact me or JRB re: the pack cover use. If you hang it correctly, there's really no way for it to be off balance. Were you clipping to all four grosgrain ribbons, or only to one at each end? Not sure how it wetted out, either...to my knowledge, JRB hasn't changed the materials so it's waterproof enough to use as a water bag, which means it won't wet out in the rain for a LONG time. If you have a defective one, I'm sure it can be exchanged. (I'll be out of contact for a while due to traveling but I'll respond as I can. JRB always responds quickly to customer requests, though.)

Re: what to do with your pack, here are some options...
- My favorite...get a gear hammock. I've made two types: a Pack Cover Gear Hammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPackCoverGearHammock.html) and a kids hammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html).
- Slowhike made Storage End Caps (http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html#StorageCaps) that hang on the end of the hammock...great idea.
- Put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner.
- Hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung.
- Clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though.
- Sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation.
- Get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock.

doodles
03-02-2008, 14:34
I seperate my food and trash and hang it away from my hammock. I place my pack and gear into a trash bag and lay it on the ground under the hammock. Never had a problem with any wet gear or critter problems.

Undershaft
03-04-2008, 13:45
I seperate my food and trash and hang it away from my hammock. I place my pack and gear into a trash bag and lay it on the ground under the hammock. Never had a problem with any wet gear or critter problems.

I do the exact same thing. I carry a large, tough lawn/outdoor drawstring garbage bag. It's big enough for my pack plus other stuff like my boots. My pack and gear never got wet in that garbage bag and it only weighs an ounce or two.

Time To Fly 97
03-04-2008, 15:02
I use a contractor garbage bag. These are bigger and completely cover my pack. I put the covered pack under my hammock and up on something (whatever is handy: rock, couple sticks, hiking poles, etc.) to keep it off the ground in case of a monsoon.

Happy hiking!

Time To Fly 97

johnnyblisters
03-09-2008, 12:08
I put my pack cover on it and its like a bathtub, turtle on its back kinda deal. Just throw it under your hammock and call it a day.

Phreak
03-09-2008, 15:45
I hang it on a tree with my pack cover on it. Never dissappointed yet.

Ditto....

hootyhoo
04-03-2008, 20:42
:banana:banana:bananaWhy not? If it rains it will get wet - If I am wearing it and it rains it will get wet. Otherwise what could happen to it.

whitefoot_hp
04-03-2008, 21:18
your pack could always be your pillow, or your insulation, or simply a resting partner on a lonely night. follow my philosophy. If you are having to think about where to put everything, you are carrying too much stuff and being unefficient.

paradoxb3
04-08-2008, 15:37
If you are having to think about where to put everything, you are carrying too much stuff and being unefficient.

You're right. next time i'll just leave my pack at home. that solves the whole thing! :) just kidding. actually on my last hike (6 days) i carried a big trash compactor bag like several of you suggested, put my pack and boots in it, left it on the ground, and it worked fine. it stayed dry and i had no critter problems.

SunnyWalker
04-24-2008, 02:55
Anyone put their pack on the bear bag hanger line?

wahoo
04-24-2008, 10:43
I use a Hennessy Hammock and clip my pack with the front facing towards the hammock opening. This way I can access it without getting out totally. Works pretty good. Put up a drip line so that water does not get on your pack in case of rain.
Also, inside of the Hennessy there's a loop on the ends of the ridge line you can clip your pack to. This works pretty good for small packs, etc. I put a stuff sack up there sometimes.

X-LinkedHiker
04-24-2008, 10:55
If I can find one, I will find a tree right next to me that is young enough for my pack to strap around. Basically any tree you can fit your arms around, you should be able to just strap it using the chest and waist straps. Cover it with a plasic bag if you can to prevent animals and bird and bat crap from falling on it.

X-LinkedHiker
04-24-2008, 10:57
Oh yeah, otherwise I'll hand it horizontally from my Overhead Tarp Rope. Near the feet.