PDA

View Full Version : Mass. AT NoBo partners wanted 3/20-21 and 3/23-25/08

Fornfearen
02-11-2008, 23:11
I work at a university and will be off for Spring Break during the week of March 17-21. Probably the first part of that week, while it's still officially Winter, I'd be climbing in the Whites. So my AT hiking days would be Thurs-Fri 3/20-21 and Sun-Tues, 3/23-25. If hiking on the 25th, we'd have to be off the trial early because I need to drive home and be at work 7:30AM the next day.
We'd be starting at Tyringham, Mass and heading north. Tyringham is about 9 trail miles south of I-90 and US 20.
I want to continue working my way up the AT through this deer tick/Lyme disease infested stretch. I just haven't heard anything good about Lyme disease,http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif and don't want to mess with it. The ticks are supposed to be dormant at temps below 35F, so I'm only going to do this if the forecast says the maximum daytime temp will be below 35F.

-I'd like to day hike as much distance as possible. With light packs, a faster pace, and having a car at each end, we can do 12+ mile sections each day. There's one 18 mile, +2500' section from US 20 north to Dalton that I'd like to do as a day hike.

I'm 53 years old. After a 10 year lapse, got interested in accumulating more continuous AT mileage. I've done 4 of these trips in Dec. or Jan. Twice solo, twice with a partner found on this forum.
I prefer to do sections S --> N for the sake of continuity.
I'm in pretty good, though not excellent shape. I hike year round and have done 81/NE115 4,000 footers in Winter, including 11 in Maine December '06, and 6 in NH this January. This past December I hiked about 42 miles of AT from Salisbury, CT to Tyringham. Some was solo backpacking, 25 miles was dayhiking w/Dingus Khan. See trip report at http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30694&page=4

warraghiyagey
02-11-2008, 23:18
Norther than Rouses Point?

robert granrath
02-11-2008, 23:51
I am looking to do North Adams Mass. North into New Hampshire. Starting late June when school gets out. I have hikes from Harpers Freey to North Adams over three hiking seasons. I am in good shape for my 66 years and am looking for a partner who would like to "be there" not necessairly hike step for step just hook up for lunch and nitght camping.
If this sounds like a plan please let me know.

Bob Granrath

AKA T BIRD

wystiria
02-12-2008, 17:00
Sadly - I will be working so can't go

earlylight
02-20-2008, 10:56
That's just about the time when I want to get out for a hike myself, but it looks like our timing is going to off. Because of work, I'm limited to 3/21-23. I do plan on doing a series of hikes in late March and April from Guilder Pond to North Adams so if anyone else is looking for a weekend section hike of the Mass AT drop me a line. NOBO or SOBO, doesn't matter.

wystiria
02-22-2008, 18:31
I am game for a weekend in Mass the 21st-23rd of march. hopefully it will be a little warmer because my DH doesn't like going out in the cold LOL though I convinved him last weekend and I doubt it will be colder than presidents day weeknd in march! LOL

wystiria
02-22-2008, 18:35
oh and I am basically looking to log miles from October Mnt. Shelter or west branch road north.

earlylight
02-23-2008, 00:24
Just sent you an email to try to firm up plans.

-Philip

Dingus Khan
02-23-2008, 23:00
hey fornfearen

i am off that weekend and most of the next week. i do have to work monday the 24th yet will switch off so that i can have a longer stretch of time. count me in unless something really ugly rear it's head.
i won't be able to join you earlier than saturday the 22nd since i am scheduled the 20-21st (thursday-friday).

Fornfearen
03-03-2008, 23:10
Wystiria, earlylight, and Dingus
Let me know what plans you're making for 3/21-23, and IF the weather is cool enough, I might be able to coordinate something with you.
I can't actually plan on any particular day until we're close enough so the forecast will be fairly accurate. I realize that getting the right temperatures that week will be very iffy. Also, unless I can plan on hiking more mileage than Tyringham to Dalton, or the equivalent (>27 miles) elsewhere, it wouldn't be worth the drive.
At that time of year, would most of the roads crossing the AT north of Dalton be driveable? I'm thinking of spotting a car at various distances.

earlylight
03-07-2008, 15:56
Wystiria, earlylight, and Dingus
Let me know what plans you're making for 3/21-23, and IF the weather is cool enough, I might be able to coordinate something with you.
I can't actually plan on any particular day until we're close enough so the forecast will be fairly accurate. I realize that getting the right temperatures that week will be very iffy. Also, unless I can plan on hiking more mileage than Tyringham to Dalton, or the equivalent (>27 miles) elsewhere, it wouldn't be worth the drive.
At that time of year, would most of the roads crossing the AT north of Dalton be driveable? I'm thinking of spotting a car at various distances.

I think we're all playing it by ear. The consensus is to wimp out if we have to hike through snow. I'm hoping for mud or frozen ground. Plans will firm up as the date gets closer and we get back from vacations in sunny places. Cheers.

Dingus Khan
03-09-2008, 10:13
hey guys, i hadn't really looked at a calendar... missed the fact that it was easter on the 23rd. if i manage to get monday off (still trying to cover it) than i will join up with you guys monday am for a day hike. count me out for the weekend though, wifey has already made plans with her family...

earlylight
03-09-2008, 16:20
hey guys, i hadn't really looked at a calendar... missed the fact that it was easter on the 23rd. if i manage to get monday off (still trying to cover it) than i will join up with you guys monday am for a day hike. count me out for the weekend though, wifey has already made plans with her family...

You're right. Well I'm still up for hiking on Easter. Need to relieve some of this cabin fever!

Dingus Khan
03-14-2008, 05:37
I was not able to cover my shift at work so won't be able to join you for that section. Have a great time, I will try to complete that area some other time on my own...

Christopher Robin
03-14-2008, 12:56
I have done Mt. Greylock but any other then I'm up for a week-end or to in April.

Fornfearen
03-17-2008, 12:56
Due to warm weather and other factors, it won't be worth my while to drive down to Mass. to get more AT mileage. I hope the weather favors those others who got together through this post, and that you have an enjoyable, successful trip.

earlylight
03-17-2008, 22:39
Thanks for the good wishes. We will be doing Greylock but other trips will follow so I hope we can hook up in the future.

Cheers.

earlylight
03-27-2008, 08:41
The weather didn't cooperate for our planned 2 night trip over Greylock. Here's a trip report (http://sectionhiker.com/2008/03/21/mr-murphy-pays-a-visit/). We did however find a great tavern in Lee, MA.