PDA

View Full Version : "Cherokee National Forest Hiking Guide" by Skelton

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2008, 00:09
Anyone looked over the book "Cherokee National Forest Hiking Guide" by Skelton.

How is its info on the Cherokee Forest sections of the AT? List good campsites and water sources.

Any info on the BMT? Any info on older trails no longer listed on maps?

All the bookstores around my area have them in blister pack.

humunuku
02-12-2008, 13:18
have you tried the library?

Tipi Walter
02-12-2008, 13:23
I have the new edition and before that I studied the old edition thru a library copy. Will Skelton is active with the Knoxville Sierra Club and knows a lot about this area, I've seen him camped up on Bob Bald and he helped me to spread the word about the Hangover/Slickrock Wilderness clearcut.

The BMT sections are not deep but if you know the name of the trail before it became the BMT(for instance, the State Line Trail or the Brookshire Trail or the John Muir/Hiwassee Trail), you can find some good stuff in it. Anybody who camps in east TN should own this book.

Tennessee Viking
02-12-2008, 19:50
I have the new edition and before that I studied the old edition thru a library copy. Will Skelton is active with the Knoxville Sierra Club and knows a lot about this area, I've seen him camped up on Bob Bald and he helped me to spread the word about the Hangover/Slickrock Wilderness clearcut.

The BMT sections are not deep but if you know the name of the trail before it became the BMT(for instance, the State Line Trail or the Brookshire Trail or the John Muir/Hiwassee Trail), you can find some good stuff in it. Anybody who camps in east TN should own this book.
Thanks I will definitely pick it up now. I do want to start hiking the southern Cherokee Forest, never been south of the Smokies yet.

humunuku
02-13-2008, 13:31
Tim homan has a good book on Joyce Kilmer and Citico creek wildernesses-the new edition (3rd) just came out a few month back