PDA

View Full Version : Carrying ID on the Trail

D'Artagnan
02-12-2008, 10:18
I happened upon an ad in one of my magazines the other day for a website called http://www.roadid.com (http://www.roadid.com/)

Since most of us carry as little in the way of personal ID while hiking as possible, I thought this was a great way for us to have our families contacted in the event of an emergency. They also have a new interactive ID where you can have your medical information accessible to paramedics and others with use of a website or 1-800 number and PIN on the back of the ID.

I ordered a couple for myself and am seriously considering ordering them for my family members as birthday gifts. It sort of takes the old Medical Alert bracelets a step further.

Just a thought.

c.coyle
02-12-2008, 10:55
Other than the price, how is this an improvement on dog tags?

Get a free G-mail account, which includes free Google Docs. Create a document with your medical info and whatever else you want. Put the Google url and password on your dog tags. Free.

D'Artagnan
02-12-2008, 11:10
Other than the price, how is this an improvement on dog tags?

Get a free G-mail account, which includes free Google Docs. Create a document with your medical info and whatever else you want. Put the Google url and password on your dog tags. Free.

I don't recall suggesting it was an improvement on dog tags. Thanks for your two cents' worth though.

c.coyle
02-12-2008, 12:52
Sorry. Didn't mean to sound critical. Maybe it did. Just pointing out a low-budget alternative.

gungho
02-12-2008, 14:04
I happened upon an ad in one of my magazines the other day for a website called http://www.roadid.com (http://www.roadid.com/)

Since most of us carry as little in the way of personal ID while hiking as possible, I thought this was a great way for us to have our families contacted in the event of an emergency. They also have a new interactive ID where you can have your medical information accessible to paramedics and others with use of a website or 1-800 number and PIN on the back of the ID.

I ordered a couple for myself and am seriously considering ordering them for my family members as birthday gifts. It sort of takes the old Medical Alert bracelets a step further.

Just a thought.
Thanks for sharing this information,it is definielt something to think about and might give someone piece of mind while on the trail

rafe
02-12-2008, 14:18
These days you could just carry a USB key with your entire medical history on it.

snaser13
02-12-2008, 14:38
A really easy way for a hiker to carry all of their info and/or medical history in a compact way is via an ID Scope. The company is called eScopes and is in CA. I originally found them because I had several of their Pet ID scopes that I needed to update the information on after I moved. Here's the link:
http://www.escopes.com/Scripts/default.asp

Thanks for raising this point because I know there are probably a lot of hikers and trail workers out there that don't carry ID when they hike. I for one spend over half of the year out in the field and off trail maintaining the AT corridor boundaries between VA & ME and don't normally carry my ID with me.

Frosty
02-12-2008, 15:30
I'm surprised that people don't carry ID. Why wouldn't people carry at least a drivers license or other photo ID?

I generally carry my license, a health insurance card, a debit card, and a credit card that can be used as a debit card.

Is this more than everyone else carries?

Frosty
02-12-2008, 15:36
I don't recall suggesting it was an improvement on dog tags. If you think they aren't any better than dog tags, why would you spend the money on them????? I got the impression from your post that you thought these things were an improvement over current IDs....

Hooch
02-12-2008, 15:39
Personally, I carry my old Marine Corps dog tags along with a picture ID. I think, for me at least, that's plenty. :D

c.coyle
02-12-2008, 15:45
These days you could just carry a USB key with your entire medical history on it.

Now that's a slick idea. You can buy a 2gb flash drive for under $30. That would hold a small book.

rafe
02-12-2008, 16:08
I'm surprised that people don't carry ID. Why wouldn't people carry at least a drivers license or other photo ID?

I generally carry my license, a health insurance card, a debit card, and a credit card that can be used as a debit card.

Is this more than everyone else carries?

That is pretty much my list as well, tho I have separate credit card and bank (ATM) card. One of these (typically, the license) should be a photo ID.

D'Artagnan
02-12-2008, 16:09
If you think they aren't any better than dog tags, why would you spend the money on them????? I got the impression from your post that you thought these things were an improvement over current IDs....

Ummm, how can I say this without sounding like a real prick? Some of us weren't in the military and thus don't have real dog tags. Besides which (and I know, because my dad's Vietnam era dog tag is on my key ring) military-issued dog tags have your Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial, Service Number, Blood Type, and Religious Affiliation. The "road ID" has a place for contact information or whatever else you want to include.

I guess I just thought this might be of some interest to those of us who would like our families contacted or have pertinent medical information available in the event of our being unable to convey that information due to injuries, etc. If it's not for you, fine, don't bother.

I just don't understand why some people seem to get off on pissing on everything posted here on WB?

Hooch
02-12-2008, 16:14
......military-issued dog tags have your Last Name, First Name, Middle Initial, Service Number, Blood Type, and Religious Affiliation...... You forgot gas mask size and branch of service. :D Dog tags, if you ask me are great, because not only do they serve as ID, but they doubly as a lightweight flat head screwdriver. Even for those who didn't serve in the military, dog tags can be custom ordered off the internet readily and imprinted with any information you choose that will fit, to include emergency contact, etc.

Hooch
02-12-2008, 16:15
I do have to agree, though, that the Road ID or a USB thing-a-ma-bob is a pretty slick idea. :sun

cuatro
02-12-2008, 18:13
I lost my I.D. in Front Royal, VA while hiking the A.T. and it sucked, no mail drops no liquor, and no identifacation to verify who I was in case something happened!