PDA

View Full Version : What size pack in cubic inches do you women use?

DeeHiker
02-12-2008, 11:06
I've ordered a North Face Crestone 60 Medium women's pack. It is 3650 cu.inch in size. I'm wondering if this will be large enough. I will only be out for four days my first trip on the AT, but later would possibly do a full week. Any advice appreciated.

dixicritter
02-12-2008, 11:14
I think it really depends on how much gear you have, what fits you best and personal preference when it comes to pack. I carry a Sixmoon Designs 2007 Essence Pack which has a 3100 cu inch total capacity. I use every bit of that space let me tell ya. ;)

ETA... Oh yeah, forgot to add... I don't carry my own food. SGT Rock usually carries that for the two of us when we go out. All I carry is gear, clothing, my cook set, and sometimes what water I'm drinking while hiking (sometimes Rock even carries that for me).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-12-2008, 11:26
You will need to pack carefully, but it should be large enough for 3 season hiking - 3650 ci might be pushing it for winter for me, but as Dixi notes, no two hikers are the same. You can always strap or lash some to the outside or top of the pack if more room is needed for extra food.

bigcranky
02-12-2008, 12:46
Dragonfly's pack is 55 litres. That's plenty for a lightweight load, but maybe not big enough for a "traditional" load. If you want to carry a 4-lb synthetic 20-F sleeping bag, a 5-lb double-wall 2-person tent, a thick full-length Thermarest, a white-gas stove with multiple pots and utensils, and every piece of clothing you own "just in case," then 3650 cubic inches might not be big enough.

But if you have a compact down bag, a Tarptent or similar style shelter, an alcohol stove and a titanium mug, a 3/4-length pad, and go easy on the clothing, then 3650ci is plenty.

aufgahoban
02-12-2008, 14:26
I carry the ULA Circuit. It weighs about 2 lbs and it holds all my winter gear just fine and is truly the most comfortable pack I've owned. I think it's about 3200, maybe a little more. The outside pockets are stretchy too so you can fill them bad boys right up. ULA packs are custom made to your specifications so it's not necesarily a womens or a mens pack, it would be YOUR pack. I have a fairly large synthetic bag, large water filter and always bring extra clothes and have never filled the thing up. (that's another joy of ULA's, you don't have to, you can fold the top down as low as you want) I strap my full length therma rest to the top of the pack.

I had a 6 lb. northface that I got cause it was cheap and on sale and threw that bulky thing in the back of the closet as soon as I got home from my first trip with it. It was brutally heavy.

Marta
02-12-2008, 15:17
As the others have noted, whether it will be big enough completely depends on your gear and clothing. And what you put inside vs. outside. For example, if you're tarping, and have a really nice sleeping bag, you'll probably be fine. If you've got a big-ass synthetic bag and a 6-pound tent, you may not even be able to get those two items inside the pack, let alone anything else.

Since you have the pack already, you might as well concentrate of making all the rest of your gear small enough to go inside. Good luck!

Blissful
02-12-2008, 15:27
It does matter what season. My Jade is about that size and I did fine for summer and early fall. But I will need to really shrink my stuff (probably need a down bag, etc) for a March 2011 start to use the pack (along with my hubby carrying things, he he)

tiptoe
02-12-2008, 15:34
I hike with a Kelty Illusion, 3500 cc, I believe. That's about the right space for my stuff in summer.

Cuffs
02-12-2008, 15:35
I agree with the seasonal issue. I use at 50L/3000 ci for warm weather and 65L/4000 ci for cool/cold weather. The only difference is a few extra layers of clothes and the underquilt for the hammock...

Cindy from Indy
02-12-2008, 15:48
I've got a big girl pack for my big girl body! lol

I'm a big-boned gal (:D) and have a Gregory Baltoro @ 4200cc's. It holds my gear great with some room left for the fluffy winter gear later on in the hike.

I love my pack and it fits my body perfectly. I don't feel impinged or hindered in any way.

Mercy
02-12-2008, 21:33
I'm responding since I've got the NF Wm Crestone 60 (med) too.

At six lbs, I wouldn't get another one, but, like you, this is the one I have. Its big enough.

I hike with a dog, who packs the tent. I carry all her stuff in addition to mine. Her cold weather stuff is my hot weather stuff. Uh, that means I'm carrying double stuff! I can pack for 5 days... When we went a few weeks ago, I had a NF Cat's Meow (20deg bag)and a 50 deg for the dog. I did figure out that if I didn't use their compression bags, I could stuff both of them into the bottom, if I used the comp bags, I ended up with the smaller one in the main comp, which wasted a lot of space.

In the main comp, I had a Jetboil, home-made dehydrated food, (which packs really small.) Uh, plus food for a lab for five days, a thermorest pro-lite4, 2.5liter hydration bag, katadyn hiker pro filter, 2 pr smartwool pants, 1 ls smartwool shirt, 1 smartwool ss shirt, 2 pr socks, uw, down jacket, outer shell, hat, gloves nylon dog bowl, dog's jacket, lg pack towel (necessity w/dog!) med pack towel (for me) down pillow (worth it for me!) extra fuel cannister

Outside pocket, rain pants, pack cover, tp, cord,

Top: First aid kit w/emergency blankets, maps, headlamp, sunglasses/ glasses case, (I wear whatever's not in there)glucose meter, misc (bug spray, hand sanitizer, fire starter, lighter, etc.) snacks

Attached: 1 liter in the holder, tent poles other side. Mesh bag w/dog's boots (smell too bad to put in pack!) dog's z-pad on bottom, nylon bowl for dog water, trowel, compass

I think I listed the big stuff. Everything still packed down w/room to spare.

vonfrick
02-13-2008, 00:34
I have a Gregory Shasta, size small, which is HUGE and HEAVY, 4650cc and 5 lbs. 13 oz., but I like having the room for the creature comforts if I want, it fits me well, and it just becomes part of me when I'm out.

Pringles
02-13-2008, 13:14
Obviously you need to have your stuff fit in your pack, but all things considered, I'd try to start with lighter, smaller equipment, including the pack.

If you do your shorter hikes and find a "big trip" looming, your experience on the smaller trips may give you insight into how to pack and plan for the longer trip with what you have, and if you just need extra space, ask around and see if someone has a bigger pack you can borrow. I have all kinds of stuff that I lend out--in my office I see a little pile that includes an external frame pack and two sets of snowshoes--folks just have to ask to use 'em. And while the comfort of a pack is a personal thing, there are lots of comfy packs out there that are big and small and short and tall. (Ooo, I practically hurt myself with the Seuss-ism.) You may find a hiking partner or a neighbor or a co-worker with an old pack they would lend. There are also garage sales, or a youth group might lend you one. You want to make sure it's comfortable, but it seems really goofy to buy big for a trip that'll happen occasionally, when what you really want to do is go on shorter trips. Heck, maybe you can get the all the extras in some side pockets, and use your regular pack on short and long trips.

Just my two cents.

Beth

Turtle2
02-13-2008, 19:54
I thrued with a 3000 ci GoLite Infinity. I was lucky enough to miss the colder days as it was jammed at resupply with no room for winter gear. I've replaced it with a 3300 ci pack that will hold all I need.

trekkngirl
02-13-2008, 20:50
I have used the Gregory Z for years now and it is great for a week long hike and I can get my bearikade(bearcan) and some extra clothes inside,but at 3300 cu it is not enough to do the AT..at least for me..comparable is the Gregory Z55 but at the same cu..I like my tent and I get real cold and I may take my bear can..I hate hanging food...so I am looking at the REI Cruise..it is 3661 cu at 3# 2 oz and 4 compartments..way cool IMO I hike in the Sierra's in Cali where a bear can is required so I must get a pack that wil carry it..check it out..Good Luck! :)

http://www.rei.com/product/747520

trekkngirl
02-13-2008, 21:20
Oh,I carry everything inside except my crocs... :)

River Runner
02-16-2008, 04:13
GoLite Quest - 4000 cubic inches so it will hold my colder weather gear fine, and has a nice compression system plus the top pocket can be left home when loads are smaller.

StarLyte
02-25-2008, 11:19
I am an ultralighter.

In 2005 I read the TJs of "Wandering Bull" David Jessop. He first hiked the Florida Trail, then continued on the same year thruhiking the AT.

He used this pack: click here (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20and%20Day%20Packs/Salomon%20Raid%20Race%20300%20Adventure%20Racing/Owner%20Review%20by%20David%20Heyting/)

I immediately bought 2 of them. Even one for my granddaughter, the "200".

I am still using them. Note all the specs. Everything fits, and I've packed 7 days of food, tent, bag, pad, everything I needed.

Mrs Baggins
02-25-2008, 12:51
I had a Gregory Deva 60, 3600 ci (size small) and nearly 6 lbs. It just overwhelmed my small self. I took the top lid off and it was still too tall when packed and just crushed me forward all the time. So I bought a Gregory Jade 50,(small) 3050 ci and 3 lbs. Yes I gave up space but now I have a pack that I can control instead of it controlling me and I'm forced to reconsider things like how much clothing I really need to take, food choices, etc. And my Deva has found a happy new home with someone who can handle it and appreciate it! :D

tenlots
02-26-2008, 22:56
I finally switched from a Gregory Deva 60 that weighed 5.6 lbs to a Granite Gear Vapor Ki that weighs 2 lbs. My back has been bothering me, so I am trying to reduce the weight. I can't reduce the 6 lbs of water though. I will let everyone know how it goes. It seems to have less room, and no pockets. A big transition for me. Thanks

quasarr
02-27-2008, 18:14
I just got my Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus in the mail. It's 3400ci with 800ci in mesh pockets. Cost $150. Only weighs 20 oz!!!

I loaded it up with 25 lbs and have been doing some test walks. Very happy with the comfort! Also Gossamer Gear has great customer service. Can't wait to take the pack on my hike over spring break.

tina.anderson
02-28-2008, 12:35
I use the same pack! It is very comfortable and it was a pretty good price, but let me tell you, I use every square inch of it to fit everything I bring and it gets pretty heavy, but not too bad. Overall I'm very pleased with it.

quasarr
02-28-2008, 18:10
Glad to hear you like your pack!!! I liked the blue color of the regular Mariposa more than the light green Plus. But I ended up getting the Plus because it's somewhat more durable and can carry 30 lbs verser 25 for the original.

I loaded it with my sleeping bag, clothes, and a jar of pennies for weight LOL. I can imagine that with food it might be filled to the brim! But I use a tarp for shelter and it easily fits in the mesh pockets, that saves space for sure.

My 6-days section is next week, can't wait to carry my Mariposa Plus up some mountains! :banana