PDA

View Full Version : V-Card

Whitey9457
02-12-2008, 12:15
So I'm starting to plan my first real backpacking trip which I'm hoping I'll be able to work into my schedule in June (between law school and my summer job leading week long camping trips through new england). I have over an entire month off so I was going to plan starting as close to Memorial Day as possible and hiking from the VT/MA border and ending somewhere around the NH/ME border. I've been reading tons on the internet and got the guidebooks etc., but was wondering if anybody had any advice/warnings for me. I've camped quite a bit in my life (5 weeks was the longest), but never really done backpacking for more than 3 or 4 days. I originally was going to hike the Long Trail (which has more detailed guidebooks about how to resupply on food etc.), but I really want to hike the white mountains more (hopefully the black flies won't be as bad at higher elevations). I don't really have a specific question but any comment or advise would be great. I'm in good shape and plan on going alone, and have at least a month to do this. My biggest concern is resupplying on food on the trip (whether at stores or food drops). I've never had to do those sorts of things before so I don't want to get stuck with like a 10 day length with not spots to stop for food. Am I more scared than I should be? Thanks -Whitey

Lone Wolf
02-12-2008, 12:21
get one of the guides and go. no mail drops needed. hit towns for supplies and have fun. yes, you're more scared than you should be.

Whitey9457
02-12-2008, 12:53
OK I also do have a specific question...I've been looking at tents and I'm trying to decide between the North Face Solo 12 and the Eureka Spitfire UL...anyone have any thoughts on either or care to suggest a different one altogether?

Kerosene
02-12-2008, 16:40
Whitey, I suggest you ask your tent question again with a different thread, otherwise folks might not respond to a thread titled "V-Card".

For a mid-summer hike, I'd seriously take a look at the products at www.tarptents.com (http://www.tarptents.com) and www.sixmoondesigns.com (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com).