PDA

View Full Version : wore out expensive socks

Crawldaddy
02-12-2008, 12:40
The expensive foot beds in the boots are wearing and the expensive socks are thinning. Anyone have any ideas to make them last another year and not hurt my feet or my pocket book til I get Mr Bush's 'gift'?

Lyle
02-12-2008, 13:30
My experience - worn out socks are worn out. You will pay either from your wallet or through wear and tear on your feet.

If you are truly in a bind, might try some thin liners or nylon dress socks under your worn socks as a stop-gap. New socks, even if you get cheaper ones will work better tho'.

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 14:07
LL Bean's own brand of hiking socks last a lot longer than some of the more expensive brands.

Foyt20
02-12-2008, 14:56
I have never had a problem with thorlos, but others may dissagree.

brotheral
02-12-2008, 18:52
I've used Smartwool (med weight) merino hikers, Wigwam Comfort Hikers & Outlast Hikers and Wigwam ultimax. The ultimax seem to last longer, but the others sure feel good.... They're all comfortable. I'm frugal, but I'll spend some $$ for quality socks.. :D I use liners too !!

Stir Fry
02-12-2008, 19:28
Buy Your Socks At Bas-pro Shop Come With A Lifetime Warranty. I'v Tradied Mine In 4 Tims Never A Problem, I Use Them Even When Not Hiking. 4 Pairs Last Around A Year. Almost Dayly Use.

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 19:31
I'v Tradied Mine In 4 Tims Never A Problem, Why? What was wrong with them?

Stir Fry
02-12-2008, 19:33
Why? What was wrong with them?
aFTER A YEAR THEY DO GET HOLES NEVER A PROBLEM GETTING NEW ONES AT NO COS.

hopefulhiker
02-12-2008, 19:52
What kind of socks were they?

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 19:54
aFTER A YEAR THEY DO GET HOLES NEVER A PROBLEM GETTING NEW ONES AT NO COS.Oh, I see, they have a lifetime warranty against normal wear and usage. That's pretty impressive.

Bare Bear
02-12-2008, 19:58
Your feet are the most important equipment on the Trail.
Buy good quality socks and boots/shoes.
As for liners, people love them or hate them. I used Dollar store polypro socks as liners and they lasted as well as the $24 ones at the outfitters. They do seem to make the socks last longer and they give some slide that will create new callusses then work great. They also help keep the socks a little cleaner too (easier to wash out the liners nearly evey night, dry by morning)

Mrs Baggins
02-12-2008, 20:08
LL Bean's own brand of hiking socks last a lot longer than some of the more expensive brands.

I have the same pairs of Wigwams and LL Bean wool socks that I've had for 5 years. No wear at all on them. I also have 4 pairs of merino wool socks I ordered from an on-line store in New Zealand (they have a little extra padding at the toes, heels, and where the tongue of the boot touches the shin) with absolutely no signs of wear. Bought them in 2002. I've never paid more than $8/pr because I've found everything on sale. I not only wear all of the "hiking" socks for hiking, I wear them through out the winters because they're warm and comfy. I only use liner socks for 10+ mile hikes.

mudhead
02-12-2008, 20:10
You are young enough to know when to spend the money.

Keep nails trimmed short. Rough spots smoothed with a pumice.

Some socks last longer if you only dry them part-way, then line dry them.

I use a drying rack, (like for diapers,) at home for socks and fleece.

Never met a quality sock, that I have worn out, that I did not feel like I got my money's worth.

Terry7
02-13-2008, 12:28
"Darn Tough" brand sox,

Blissful
02-13-2008, 12:36
I found Wigwam's Ultimax socks indestructible. Used them from North Carolina on (got a pair at Franklin and at NOC). Still have them.

YeOldeBackpacker
02-13-2008, 16:20
Oh, I see, they have a lifetime warranty against normal wear and usage. That's pretty impressive.

Look at Darn Tough, made in the U.S.A. with same warranty, nice socks