PDA

View Full Version : Sarbar/freezer bag cooking question

beckyjean
02-12-2008, 12:43
can you take the freezer bag recipes from sabar's book, only cook them in a pot?
ex: boil required water, and then add ingredients to pot.. and to make it finish quicker, just boil it for a little bit, instead of putting it in a cozy?

beckyjean
02-12-2008, 12:46
sarbar.. i meant..LOL

Hooch
02-12-2008, 14:52
can you take the freezer bag recipes from sabar's book, only cook them in a pot?
ex: boil required water, and then add ingredients to pot.. and to make it finish quicker, just boil it for a little bit, instead of putting it in a cozy?I don't see any reason you couldn't, but my question would be: Why would you? The freezer-bag method is easy, quick and requires no clean up in the backcountry other than licking your spork clean and drying out the pot you boiled water in. The U.S. military has an acronym that applies here......KISS. Keep It Simple, Stupid! :rolleyes::D In all seriousness, I'd do it Sarbar's way for ease and sake of simplicity, but HYOH, you're the one who's gonna be there.

sarbar
02-12-2008, 15:00
Of course you can! If you do the recipes one pot style just use thin sandwich bags to carry your meals, bring the water to a boil, dump in the dry stuff, stir and pull off the heat. You would want to get a pot cozy for the sit period - Anti Gravity Gear carries them for nearly every pot out there.
You just want to be careful to not overcook as you don't want to boil off too much water since the ingredients need the water to get cooked :)

Lilred
02-12-2008, 18:30
I don't see any reason you couldn't, but my question would be: Why would you?

Some people, like me unfortunately, have a high sensitivity to the taste of plastic. When I cook in a freezer bag, I can taste the plastic in the food. Same thing with drinking from a platy, I can taste it and I don't like the taste much. :(

sarbar
02-12-2008, 20:24
Some people, like me unfortunately, have a high sensitivity to the taste of plastic. When I cook in a freezer bag, I can taste the plastic in the food. Same thing with drinking from a platy, I can taste it and I don't like the taste much. :(
Ever used wax sandwich bags to carry your dried food? They work rather well if used gently.

beckyjean
02-14-2008, 20:26
ok so another question.. in the recipes.. it may call for ex: 1/4 cup of freeze dried veggies. would DEHYDRATED veggies work just as well?

sarbar
02-14-2008, 22:29
ok so another question.. in the recipes.. it may call for ex: 1/4 cup of freeze dried veggies. would DEHYDRATED veggies work just as well?
Yes, they are interchangable :) If you do use dehydrated just keep them small in size and uniform.
In book #2 I now say "diced dried peppers" or "diced sun dried tomatoes" to make it easier :)

beckyjean
02-14-2008, 23:45
thanks so much, you are wonderful!!

gunn parker
04-24-2008, 08:18
Hi
I love freezer bag recipes but I prepare mine a little differently. I add cold water to the freezer bag when I get to camp and let it rehydrate while setting up the rest of my gear. Then at tea time I pour the contents of the bag into my pot and heat. I must have my meals piping hot and so I find this way works best for me.
Gunn

mudhead
04-24-2008, 13:31
Hi
I love freezer bag recipes but I prepare mine a little differently. I add cold water to the freezer bag when I get to camp and let it rehydrate while setting up the rest of my gear. Then at tea time I pour the contents of the bag into my pot and heat. I must have my meals piping hot and so I find this way works best for me.
Gunn

Try this twist to get hotter food. 1/2 of the boiling water, then sit time. Other half of the boiling water, short sit time.

Better cozy might be the ticket. I have to wait for it to cool off. I can eat cold food, but I want it screaming hot if it is supposed to be hot.

Coffee, especially.

Nearly Normal
04-24-2008, 22:30
I've been using zip-loc bags for no pot cooking. Add boiling water and eat in a few minutes.
I may go back to pot cooking.
http://camping.about.com/od/campingrecipes/a/ziplocbaggies.htm

sarbar
04-25-2008, 00:09
Nearlynormal...the reason behind Ziploc and their statement was on placing bags of eggs in a pot of boiling water, then boiling said bag for 12-15 minutes till done. What can happen is that the bag touches the pan and melts. This would open the bag up to the water.
When you do cooking where you pour water in the water is already below boiling - and immediately your water temp drops down from hitting the dry food. Freezer bags are rated by the manufacturer to be used in microwaves, at this point the temperature of the water in your bag is below that.
Digital thermometers can be fun indeed!

atraildreamer
04-26-2008, 14:30
thanks so much, you are wonderful!!

Buy her book...it'll answer all of your questions! :-? :confused:

(Sarah...I want a discount on the next book for this plug! :D)

russb
04-26-2008, 14:58
Hi
Gunn

That is basically what I do to rehydrate my home-made dehydrated meals. One reason is it allows me to have "bigger chunks" and not just mush. Also, I can use the pot to first brown some meat or sausage and then pour in the semi rehydrated meal. It is s great way to make meals which one could otherwise not dehydrate well.

sarbar
04-26-2008, 19:02
Buy her book...it'll answer all of your questions! :-? :confused:

(Sarah...I want a discount on the next book for this plug! :D)

Lol...yeah you'll get it when I get the husband to finish the editing!:rolleyes:

gunn parker
04-27-2008, 05:22
Try this twist to get hotter food. 1/2 of the boiling water, then sit time. Other half of the boiling water, short sit time.
So are you boiling water twice? or do you boil an amount of water and add half of that to the food and wait, then the other half of the now much cooler water and eat?

Better cozy might be the ticket. I have to wait for it to cool off. I can eat cold food, but I want it screaming hot if it is supposed to be hot.

Coffee, especially.
Did you make your own cozy? I use what we over here call a beanie, a knitted woolen hat that I use as a cozy and to keep my head warm at night.
Thanks

budforester
04-27-2008, 07:14
Did you make your own cozy? I use what we over here call a beanie, a knitted woolen hat that I use as a cozy and to keep my head warm at night.
Thanks

I often use a watch- cap, too, as a pot cozy... works great. But, in mouse houses and bear country, I would be hesitant to sleep in it. If I could lean to knit or crochet, I would make a custom- fitted cozy.

oops56
04-27-2008, 07:45
Ok here you go A 2 for 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2qFKAXivf0

mudhead
04-27-2008, 10:42
So are you boiling water twice? or do you boil an amount of water and add half of that to the food and wait, then the other half of the now much cooler water and eat?

Thanks

Boil twice. (Bring back to boil.)

Plastic storage container, with fleece hat or jacket over it.

Had a ickky with just a hat, plus needed longer.

Search cozy. Tons of fancy homemade ones, and Sarbar sells slick ones.

Shadowmoss
04-27-2008, 11:04
My understanding of the 'donating member' logo is that it is displayed unless you put custom phrases or logos there. So, since she has a custom line there she could well be donating and it just doesn't show. Some folks don't like to show the 'donating member' logo even when they do donate.

disclaimer: I don't know whether she donates here or not, and yes, I should donate myself, which I will do soon.

mrc237
04-28-2008, 06:55
I use a JetBoil, after pouring h2o into freezer bag I return it into the pot, bag and all to rehydrate.

Wise Old Owl
05-11-2008, 19:43

I am not sure how you can taste a Platy, I only have a funny taste when they are not clean - IE bacteria. Hence, I try to fill it with spring water instead of something with chlorine.