PDA

View Full Version : missing parts on a trekking pole

Crawldaddy
02-12-2008, 12:51
my collapsable trekking pole is missing a part keeping me from being able to extend and tighten. its a generic pole so I cant get parts for it. does anyone have any ideas about how to permanently keep it extended to a certain length? welding such a thin tube or sticking a bolt thru it probably wouldnt work..

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2008, 12:52
What mechanism did it use?

You might try some sort of adhesive like epoxy, Gorilla Glue, superglue.

jlb2012
02-12-2008, 13:05
stick a wooden dowel into the part that holds the section when collapsed, adjust the length of the dowel for the desired length of the pole, duct tape lower section to the section with the dowel in it to keep the pieces together

bigmac_in
02-12-2008, 13:20
my collapsable trekking pole is missing a part keeping me from being able to extend and tighten. its a generic pole so I cant get parts for it. does anyone have any ideas about how to permanently keep it extended to a certain length? welding such a thin tube or sticking a bolt thru it probably wouldnt work..

Extend the pole to the desired length, duct tape the pole to a stick (found in the woods), check out your handywork, throw it away and buy new pole(s). :D:D:D

Darwin again
02-12-2008, 13:26
I've used JB Weld to reattach a tip to one of my sticks.
You could probably mix us a big batch of that, spread it around inside of the upper pole, then insert the other section to the length you want. Let it dry overnight.
Might work. Nothing to lose by trying...

Shutterbug
02-12-2008, 14:28

I like to save money as much as anyone, but why spend a lot of time and effort trying to repair a generic pole when you can replace it for $7? Wal-Mart now has the Swiss Gear poles on close out for $7.

The clerk said that they are closing them out because they will soon be stocking a different pole.

Toolshed
02-12-2008, 16:21
Sounds like the nylon locking mech pulled out of a lower pole section and might be stuck inside?? If it were EMS or REI, they would probably have replacement sections, once you get the locking mech out. Generic pole? save it for parts and buy some new ones - I prefer a brnad name - Either Leki or Komperdell (Komperdell makes most poles for REI and EMS store brands.)

Lilred
02-12-2008, 18:20
This is why I like leki poles. They fix it or replace it for free.

Hooch
02-12-2008, 18:24
my collapsable trekking pole is missing a part keeping me from being able to extend and tighten. its a generic pole so I cant get parts for it. does anyone have any ideas about how to permanently keep it extended to a certain length? welding such a thin tube or sticking a bolt thru it probably wouldnt work..Forget it, go get something good from Mast or Diamond Brand. I recommend any poles made by Black Diamond with the Flik-Lok system. :D

TN_Hiker
02-14-2008, 10:51
REI has several name brand poles on clearance right now. Of course, the hickory sticks are usually free and readily available.

Flush2wice
02-14-2008, 11:10
Try using a 4' piece of re-bar as a splint.

LIhikers
02-15-2008, 10:40
Try using a 4' piece of re-bar as a splint.

Now that's funny! :eek:

Gaiter
02-15-2008, 12:25
look for last year's leki's, they will be put on clearance for the new models coming out, thats how i could afford my leki's

on the fixing them side, know a good welder???